“Monthly Guest” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Eureka

Save Saved
You added Clarion Eureka to your Saves list
Clarion Eureka
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2223 4th St., Eureka, CA 95501 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Eureka
Gasquet, California
“Monthly Guest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Each month we spend the weekend here with our grandchildren. We love the convenience of breakfast onsite and the light dinner in the evening. Always clean and staff is very nice. Pool was not open last time we stayed so the kids were bummed but they have to update it to handicapped accessible they said. We prefer the inside main building as we do not smoke, have pets and like being able to take the kids down for breakfast without going outside. The other buildings are detached and they allow pets in them. I have asthma so this is not a good deal for me plus the other buildings are older and kind of worn down. Overall a good value and one of the better choices in Eureka proper. Target within walking distance.

Room Tip: Inside main building for newer rooms. check to see if pool has reopened if this is important.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Encinitas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Had to change rooms, the first one was very loud with traffic noise. Once moved, the room was pleasant enough. Bed was comfortable with nice linens, a large bathroom with tub/shower. Microwave & refrig in room is always nice. Had to laugh, though.....the sign on the bathroom sink had a "Save the Planet - everyday millions of gallons of water are used to wash towels that have only been used once, etc....." well, the irony of that sign is that it took literally 5 minutes for the water to get hot in the shower! Breakfast included was in a nice atrium room with the usual waffles, oatmeal, etc. Better than some! Good enough hotel for a stopover.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Decent place if you're just overnighting. I wouldn't want to hang out here. With it's sketchy neighborhood and direct location on the highway, I am astonished that they charge you to use the safe!!

Pros:
The hotel is dog friendly.
It's walking distance to the new Target.
Nice breakfast in the a.m. with boiled eggs and the usual carbs.
Front desk guy had great restaurant tips (e.g. Bless My Soul cafe)

Cons:
Dirty, run down exterior
Surrounding neighborhood is sketchy with broken down vehicles (a concern for the final potty walk with your dog)
They charge $1.50 to use the safe!!
Right off the 101 exit ramp so it's quite noisy.
Hair found in the bath tub and in the folded towels...ewww.

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing the street! The hotel is right off the 101 exit ramp...you exit the hig...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Stratford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed here for two nights on my 7 week road trip across Canada & the U.S.
Wound up here quite by accident because earlier on in the evening I had checked into the local KOA campgrounds only to have a defective smoke alarm in my cabin keep me awake! So it was fate that brought me here in the middle of the night dog tired and in desperate need of a warm bed and SLEEP! They must have felt sorry for me at the front desk after hearing my story because they gave me a discount on the room! And the room was like heaven compared to where I had just come from...huge comfortable bed with cable TV and modern clean bathroom with tub & shower that washed away all my problems. By the time I got into bed it was 4:30 a.m. so I decided then and there to stay a second night before heading further South. Next morning I had a great breakfast in their spacious on site facility...lots of modern clean tables & chairs with sunlight coming through the windows while you catch up with the latest news on the wall mounted LCD TV. This place has more than one parking lot so the next morning I moved my car to a spot directly outside my room and left it there while I walked into the old part of town. Lots of historical buildings to see here and one in particular drew me in like a fly to honey! I seem to have this uncanny ability to sniff out foods that make me feel warm & fuzzy all over and Bon Boniere Ice Cream definitely recharged my batteries big time...even took a picture before I dug in! In the end what started out as a crappy night eventually turned into one of the better nights of my trip!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a great stay here. The staff was friendly. They offer a hot breakfast every morning and a light meal in the evenings, very nice.The rooms were clean and spacious. We enjoyed our trip to the Redwoods. The hotel is easy to find and in a good location there is a target within walking distance. The only downfall is the indoor pool is not in the main building so it was a little chilly was back from the pool, but still a great place. We would stay here again if we are ever visiting the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
manteca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was bummed that my favorite hotel, Best Western, Bayshore Inn was booked for the weekend so I had a choice between Comfort Inn (south of Eureka) or Clarion (north of Eureka), based on the reviews between the two, as well as convenience (I wanted to be closer to Old Town where my daughter lives), I opted for Clarion. No complaints here, the manager was very friendly and accommodating, and the room seemed nice enough. The bed was perfect, very comfortable and the tub was big so I took nice hot baths. Although the hotel appeared to be kinda run-down but it was adequate for a busy weekend in Eureka.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Santa Clara, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We got a second floor room in the hotel that faced towards a side street near the front of the hotel. The exterior of the hotel shows a lot of wear. There are cracks, unkept stairways, etc. The neighborhood is right on the edge of a poorer looking area.

Our room was pretty tiny. The small table could only be accessed by climbing into a chair the is wedged in next to it. The bed was crazy. If you even touched the side of it the bed would fall off the base frame and sink on one side. It was so bad with the close quarters that we had to forbid our kids from even sitting on one of the beds.

The breakfast was edible but barely. My kids liked the waffles. The staff that served the breakfast was not at all friendly. A gal running the place got on my wife for trying to get some milk from a nearby storeroom. She did not see it on the counter. The woman took real offense and did not handle it well at all.

One morning there were beer cans on the rail outside of our room...my wife and I had one reaction...no surprise at all...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Clarion Eureka? Share your experiences!