“Red Lion - Eureka, CA” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 20 hotels in Eureka
“Red Lion - Eureka, CA”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

The lobby elevator was being worked on and was not in operation. The garden elevator was working.

I explained to your clerk that my wife had a mobility problem (bad ankle). Stairs are a problem for her. He put us on the 2nd floor at least 50 yds down from the garden elevator, insisting that it was no better for my wife than climbing the stairs at the lobby. There are only 5 steps up to the Garden Elevator from the Ground Floor. There were no rooms available on the first floor due to re-carpeting. HOWEVER - there were rooms available near the garden elevator.

Your clerk also made it clear to me that we would have to pay for our breakfast. The Red Lion in Medford, OR gave us a free breakfast without any problem.

Given the mess created by all of the renovation going on, your organization should have been giving a free breakfast to every guest willing to climb the stairs

I made my reservation via Hotwire - which is the ONLY reason I decided to stay at all. The charge for the room was non-refundable.

There are 3 Best Western motels in the Eureka area. I will go there next time.

I promise not to use Hotwire in Eureka again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Eureka, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
We value each and every one of our guests and I truly apologize that we failed to provide you a room on the first floor for your stay. We make every attempt to ensure that requests are met and thanks to your comments, we will be working with our front desk staff on this as well.
We do appreciate your feedback and hope we have the chance to serve you better in the near future.
Kind Regards

252 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Clean rooms, good food at the restaurant and the front desk staff is awesome. Misty remembered my name the first time she met me. She was very personable as well as Kelly and Craig. Great staff, I would recommend you stay here if you're in town

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Mooresville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I have no complaints about the staff. The hotel itself is just old, run down and attracts a poor clientele. Unfortunately in the small town of Eureka, CA there is not much to choose from. We only stayed the night and for that it was ok. I wouldn't stay there again, I'd sleep in my car next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bluesky026, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Eureka, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Hi Dave,

Thank you for staying with us, I'm not sure what went wrong with your stay in July. If you would like to contact me directly with details I would like to look into any specific issues. We have made many improvements last year and are continueing this year. The projects have in part been directed by our guest feedback.

I hope to be of service to you again, if your travels bring you our way.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

A previous stay we had was great, no problems. This second trip there were some problems. first off they allow pets so they were going to put us on the first floor because we had heavy equipment and the elevator was not working. So we get to the room hear a dog non stop barking open the room door and heavy animal smell. So they gave us a third floor room which they do not allow pets on, so the engineer was able to move our equipment. There was no caffenated coffee in the rooms. Housekeeping this time around was awful. She did not clean well, left dirty cleaning rag, didn't seem to vacuum. I had welts and bites on my face so they changed the sheets and it was better.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Bluesky026, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Eureka, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Hi Maria,

Thank you again for staying with us and I am glad we had a chance to review your stay. Our elevator is in the process of being fully upgraded and modernized and yes is had made for challenges for our guests and staff. The room issues were traced back to the same individual and it has been addressed. What you experienced on your recent visit is not typical and not acceptable.

I trully do appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next visit.

Shingletown, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

2 problems.
1. Booked with Priceline. Told I only get a noisy elevator room at the desk. Manager quickly resolved.
2. Nice room, well made and clean except for MASSIVE balls of blonde woman's hair all over the bathroom and sink area floor! They moved us into another room that had small confetti all overt in the carpet. Obviously don't vacuum at all?!

If it weren't for these problems things were excellent!
Bath and basin and beds and furniture clean and neat.
Room was quiet and comfortable.

The lack of vacuuming is inexplicable.... ?seriously?
Otherwise they had done such a good job!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Bluesky026, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Eureka, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for letting me know about challenges you had.

I am happy to hear our front desk took care of you and corrective training has been completed regarding your initial response. While I am not sure why the rooms were not vacuumed it has been brought our housekeeping managers attention to ensure that it is corrected.

I look forward to being of service to you in the future and apologize for not catching the issue before you did.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

We're travelling by car from Astoria to Palm Springs and stopped in Eureka for the night. The Red Lion seemed like an acceptable option. Upon checking in we were advised the main elevator was out of service. As we're both seniors, with luggage and a carryall, room location is significant. The front desk agent felt a room on the bottom floor would be best. I assumed the ground floor but it was located next to the exercise room, half below ground, and we had to carry our luggage over 10 steps, I've had the A/C running for hours to clear the smell but to no avail. While the beds are clean and comfortable and the restaurant food very acceptable, I'd definitely ecercise caution regarding the room to which you're assigned. Had we not travelled for 12hrs today and been beat, we probably would have insisted on another room, but it's just for one night and we're just plain tired. We'll move on the the am. Just wish I could breath in the meantime.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and for sending us some feedback. I wish you stay had been completely enjoyable, if you ever have a challenge in our rooms please let us know so that we can make the rest of your stay as enjoyable as possible. I apologize on behalf of our team for not noticing the odor issue you mentioned.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

This is a convention type hotel with in-house restaurant/bar/lounge. Comfortable rooms, good internet connection and flat screen tv. The room is well appointed and very clean. Luggage carts make move-in and move-out very easy.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Been to Red Lion Hotel Eureka? Share your experiences!