“Shanty Rooms at Slum Lord Prices, Horrible Customer Service to Boot” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #21 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Rio Dell, California
“Shanty Rooms at Slum Lord Prices, Horrible Customer Service to Boot”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I booked a room here with my boyfriend because we had a going away party in Eureka, but we live in a nearby town, and we both wanted to drink and not worry about driving home. This was the only place that had a room available (smoking, 2 beds) within decent walking distance of the party, so we went ahead and booked.

We did not actually see the room until well after the desk had closed and we had returned from our party. Boy, were we in for a surprise! Where do I begin? The carpet had burn marks, tears, and stains, and was wrinkling up in the middle of the room. There were scuff marks all over the walls. The sheets had stains, the blankets had cigarette holes in them, and the bed was just an overall uncomfortable place to sleep--we would have been better off sleeping on our friend's couch! There was a burn mark on the TV, the room smelt of a horrible chemical mix of ammonia, bleach, and cigarette smoke. The bathroom was in terrible repair, and the floor hadn't been swept or cleaned. Plus, we found a needle cap on the floor near one of the beds.

This is hands down the WORST room I have EVER stayed in. I took pictures to document the gross-ness because a part of me is still in deniable that such a place with a brand name could exist, for such a horrible price, in the U.S. I don't know how Econo Lodge works, but if this is a franchise they need to shut this place down.

So when we got back to our room we didn't have much of an option except to stay because of the time (about 4:30 am) and because neither of us was in a position to drive home safely. Suffice it to say, we had to sleep off our drinks in a terrifying and unclean room. We used each other for warmth because we were too afraid to get under the gross blankets. The experience itself was almost sobering enough...

Did I mention that I was charged $86 for this room??

When I went into the office to ask for some money back, explaining to the man behind the counter that it did not meet our standards and that the room was over-priced, he just told me that I should have said something about it the night before and that there was nothing he could do about it. Now, I am usually a well-mannered person, but this set me off. He was absolutely NOT understanding about how horrible this stay was and how much a rip off the room was. He had a bad attitude and only said there was nothing he could do about it because they had been booked full that night. What a freaking joke! I told him that I have paid less for nicer rooms, and he said "that depends on the area". I let him know that I have stayed in cheaper rooms in Eureka, e.g. Motel 6, that were cleaner and in better repair, AND cheaper, but he just shrugged it off and told me he couldn't give me any money back. He also said that people come back to his location, to which I replied, "I can't imagine anyone would want to come back here, this place is disgusting." I feel very unhappy and ripped off after staying here, plus I hate being so rude to people but c'mon!

All I can say is, you're better off sleeping on a friend's couch or even in your car, both of which we seriously contemplated.

If you read this before booking, please save yourself the money and the disappointment! DO NOT BOOK AT EUREKA "ECONO" LODGE!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Resham D, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
> We are sorry to hear that your stay with us was
> coustmers.
> We credit our success in the lodging industry to providing good
> service and quality accommodations at affordable prices. We appreciate
> your willingness to take the time to let us know where improvement is
> needed so that we may continue to maintain our high standards.
> We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you and have taken
> corrective action to ensure that this incident will not occur in the
> future. We sincerely hope you will give us an opportunity in the near
> future to extend our hospitality.
> Sincerely,
> management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

No plans to ever return to this motel or this town!
It is really sad, sad, sad...

Closed up or for sale buildings, vagrants pushing grocery carts, people with black hoods on, kids on skateboards, people with pit-bulls passing right through the motel property all the time since the motel is sandwiched between two main streets and they can take short cuts through the parking lots.

The motel has about 4 main buildings. Pool is in one. It had a sign up, "Closed for Renovation"!

The buildings are all very old and decrepit. Yikes, a scary, scary area. Don't believe anyone would stop by and then book a room here after looking at this place! It was past the cancellation time so we could not cancel our room. Only one other car, a couple girls with dogs checked in right after us and remarked how scary it looked and said they where going to sleep looking outside the window all night to guard their luggage on a rack on top of their car.

Our room had a non-functioning A/C which made noise and only blew a little warm air; bath had small 6" x 2" shelf & dirty old shower area; the TV was an old "fat' analog TV with no cable, just fuzzy station, furniture, carpet, and paint were all old.

There is no breakfast room, just a coffee pot at best parked against a wall near the check-in desk.

Could not sleep at night because of noise and watching "questionable people" out window. Left at 6 A.M. after trying to quickly grab a coffee and check out, but the "office" was closed and had a sign in the window, "Closed from 10 P.M.- 7 A.M".

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Resham D, Owner at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Sir.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I don't ask for a lot if bells and whistles but I do require clean. And this was not, we have stayed at the Econo Lodge in Yreka, CA and on Sandy Blvd. In Portland, OR in the past week and a half so we expected the same. Nothing fancy but we need a bed and shower because we have been driving at night trying to avoid the heat wave this July. So tired! We are now staying at the Rodeway Inn, another Choice hotel and Huge difference! The owner (wife) is very pleasant, haven't met the husband yet. The only reason Econo gets high on the service is because he gave us a refund really quick! We are in our 30's and just can't sleeo where we could at 20. Bottom line if you can deal with the dust agaisnt the walls and poorly maintained facility go for it, but not for us.

• Stayed July 2013
Resham D, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Eureka Econolodge
1630 4th Street
Eureka, CA 95501
Phone: (707)443-8041
Fax: (707)443-9275

We are sorry to hear that your stay with us was unsatisfactory. I appreciate you taking the time to advise us of your dissatisfaction. There is never an excuse for providing a valued guest, such as you, with anything less than a perfect experience. We are sorry that you received service that promoted you to contact us with a complaint, and we regret any inconvenience or frustration that your experience has caused you. To ensure that our staff conducts itself in a manner that reflects the high regard that we have for our coustmers.

We credit our success in the lodging industry to providing good service and quality accommodations at affordable prices. We appreciate your willingness to take the time to let us know where improvement is needed so that we may continue to maintain our high standards.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you and have taken corrective action to ensure that this incident will not occur in the future. We sincerely hope you will give us an opportunity in the near future to extend our hospitality.

management
Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

It was busy and full in Eureka, still no reason to charge rip off prices for shabby rooms. We got a smoking room for over $90 which was worth $50 the most! Carpet was filled with holes of smoking, just like the bedding. Super loud location, didn't feel too safe at all. "Breakfast" is non-existent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Resham D, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 11, 2013

Shelby, Montana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We were very tired from 10 hours driving south on Rt. 101 so we thought grab a quick bite to eat and get to bed early. Great plan but Rt.101 splits in Eureka. South bound goes down 2nd St and North bound goes up 3rd St. The Econo Lodge is located between these busy streets. Room 201, 202 and 203 sit only the sidewalk width from the South bound highway. We had room 202. Even with the airconditioner running there was no way to sleep until after 10PM when the trucks got off the road. Then at 630AM first the cars the the truck started up again. At least we did not have to worry about over sleeping.
The room was large but very sparcely furnished. There was a full kitchen with a full size refrigerator but sort of beat up. The room was clean, smelled ok and had no mold in the bathroom. All rooms are accessed from outside with no elevator.
The breakfast was a joke, cold pasteries and coffee. The pasteries are cut in half to keep you from eating too much. There was no decaf, which I prefer. We went next door to Mc Donalds for breakfast.
Two stars is being generious. I would stay here again in a pinch but would not pay more than $45 a night max.

Room Tip: If you stay here make sure you are not put in 201, 202 or 203. While in Eureka go to the old downtow...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We were traveling around California in August staying in low budget motels alternating between Choice and another chain. From these reviews I was quite concerned about whether this motel met minimum standards and we planned one night's stay only. We consider clean, safe and reasonably quiet rooms as mandatory in low budget chain motels. Comfortable beds are a plus. Our room met our basic requirement and the bed was very good. Everything was clean, we had a microwave and refrig which were great, the price was a little high, but everything else around was higher. The door was good and solid and the dead-bolt lock was sound. We were concerned about smell because of prior reviews, but the only smell we noticed was a cleaning solution. The carpet in our room needs to be replaced. This motel is not at the top of the Choice Hotel food chain but we didn't pay for top of the line. Breakfast was better than at other Econo Lodges; the best Econo Lodge breakfast we had. We took our selections back to our room and ate there. We dealt with two people at the registration desk. The younger man was more outgoing and friendlier. It is his service I am rating. Since we wanted to spend more time in the area, we extended our stay one more night and stayed in this motel the second night. We'd stay here again.

Room Tip: One section of the motel abuts a busy highway. We were in that section, but we were so tired the tr...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Barry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

My room was clean, clean sheets, clean bathroom, clean surfaces, clean fridge and microwave.

Bed was good, booked a double queen to get 2 pillows each and a bit more stretching space.

This hotel cost me $75 and in Motel lanuage that was expensive, but it was memorial weekend and that meant it was time to rip off everything and everyone that was moving on our planet, so I guess is was horses for courses.

Yes, I would stay again, but it would be on a need basis, Breakfast is billy basic and served at the motel check in office, that has to be the pitts to start with, come on, who wants to eat a beakfast next to the check in desk!

What's it worth, well in june 2012 $50+tax

If visiting eureka then be prepared for a bit of nostalgia, it's old and rundown with some signs of down and outs on the streets.

Enjoy - UK world traveler

Room Tip: Bring an iron and hairdryer unless you wish to trust your luck at reception. Place to stop over if...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
> coustmers.
> We credit our success in the lodging industry to providing good
> service and quality accommodations at affordable prices. We appreciate
> your willingness to take the time to let us know where improvement is
> needed so that we may continue to maintain our high standards.
> We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you and have taken
> corrective action to ensure that this incident will not occur in the
> future. We sincerely hope you will give us an opportunity in the near
> future to extend our hospitality.
> Sincerely,
> management

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!