“Birthday at Restaurant 301” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 157 Restaurants in Eureka
Cuisines: Bakery, French, Californian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Description: The Carter House Inn is a luxury, boutique hotel in in historic Eureka, California. It is known both for housing Restaurant 301 and for being a replica of a Queen Anne style building by Newsom & Newsom, renown builder architects of many 19th century structures in California. Restaurant 301 has a 3,800 bottle collection of wine and has been awarded the "Grand Award" from Wine Spectator magazine for 11 years running.
Orleans, California
“Birthday at Restaurant 301”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

My girlfriend treated me to the best birthday dinner I've ever had at the Carter House's Restaurant 301!

The hotel staff was friendly and welcoming as we entered the Carter House and we were quickly welcomed again by our fantastic server Zach. He seated us at the beautiful picture window table facing the Carter House Inn for a great sunset view. He was energetic and knowledgeable about each dish and companion wines, one of which is from the owner's own winery. The Carter House's attention to each small detail in food, service, and wine is un-missable.

A sincere respect for the inherent beauty of the ingredients they use is apparent in each dish. Don't miss out on the seasonal Garden Salad which is made from lettuce, micro greens, and veggies from their own garden down the street (worth walking to before or after dinner!). We ordered several sea food courses that were cooked perfectly, succulent and fresh tasting lobster tail, mussel and clam Cioppino, and grilled salmon. Even their palette cleaning sorbet was an experience in itself with intense flavor (we both could've eaten a whole bowl). The strawberry basil shortcake was a bit heavy, but well balanced with fresh strawberries and the basil sorbet served aside it was an experience in itself, bringing a mouth opening new depth to an old favorite.

I would suggest this restaurant whole heartedly to anyone looking for a high class restaurant experience in Eureka.

Pro Tips-
Try the discovery menu - 5 courses allows you to experience each aspect of the kitchen and the staff are perfectly timed
Plan to spend a few hours enjoying the food!
Come early for beautiful sunsets
Ask about wine to compliment your meal

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Kansas City, Kansas
“Best Food I've Had in a Long Time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

We visited Restaurant 301 for dinner and we *loved* it. I would first like to say that the service was stellar. I wish I could remember our server's name... For those who may wish to request him, he is a tall, white male, with very striking blue eyes. He was very knowledgeable, courteous, and well-spoken. There was not a single error on his part. Hotel manager, please take note!
The food was also wonderful! I love carbs, so I am always a fan of restaurants that offer good, hot bread before a meal! I ordered the Cioppino, and my boyfriend had the Pan-Roasted Organic Chicken Breast. My compliments to whoever created these amazing, flavorful dishes. Lastly, we were presented with two little house-made coconut and dark chocolate truffles. Again, amazing.
A tip for potential diners: We felt like we were dining at a 5-star restaurant. It felt to us like a very romantic, intimate setting. Also, as our main courses were $25-$26, this was definitely more of a "date night" restaurant for us, and probably not somewhere that we (personally) would bring our young children. However, the staff was just wonderful, and I'm sure they would happily accommodate and welcome families!

Visited May 2014
“Good, but not worth the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed at the Inn and had a date night at 301. The whole dinner process took us an hour and a half and the waitress seemed a little miffed when we asked for our check before dessert came out. Other than that the service was great but the food isn't worth the almost $200 we spent on it and we didn't even get drinks! I wish we had cancelled our reservation and eaten at the Marina Café around the corner which smelled better and was much cheaper, AND had a view!

Visited May 2014
“Delicious!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

The menu has really interesting choices. If you can't decide there are two different prix fixe menus with optional wine pairing. I could seriously eat the ahi Napoleon everyday of my life. The decor is understated and classy. Service friendly and attentive. I was here on business but would love to return with my husband!!

San Francisco, California
“Enjoyed Restaurant 301!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

The lobster was amazing. Also really enjoyed the Envy Wines. And Restaurant 301 provides a daily hot breakfast.

Visited January 2014