“Worst Hotel Ever” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Redding, California, United States
“Worst Hotel Ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Dirty rooms. Wedding party LOUD and RUDE!!! Making noise til 2:30 am. If they were not going to sleep...no one was. Our room smelled like a wet dog. Food was crappy. We waited 2 1/2 for our room that was reserved. Stood at check in desk from 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm. I will never go back to this hotel. What a crummy place.

Room Tip: All rooms bad.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Friant, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Though we read some mixed reviews we took a chance and were so glad we did! so much charm in this place! you feel as though you have stepped back in time. we were on a motorcycle trip and as you can imagine we love 3 things..Hot showers, good rest and security for our Harley's. the showers at this hotel were amazing not the look of them but the water pressure! as in most hotels you have decent pressure and temperature this hotels showers exceeded both of those! the room was quiet clean and huge! the hotel allowed us to park our bikes right by the pool so they could be watched overnight. we will stay there again on our way through town. I highly recommend giving it a shot!

Santa Maria, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

My children and I stayed for one night - I looked at room with two queens that had was slightly renovated and then one with two full beds that was totally renovated. Because I did not have a reservation and it was getting late, I did not receive the online discount. After seeing both rooms, I paid for the upgraded, renovated room. The slighty renovated room had ancient carpeting and the beds looked like they sagged. The renovated room was very charming - but not without disappointments. The room had towels for two (there were three of us). When I called down for towels (twice), they never arrived - even when I offered to come down to pick them up. The room came with an electric fireplace - nice touch and instead of the usual coffee maker, an electric teapot. However, even though they had stoneware mugs - there was no teabags, cocoa, etc. Biggest pet peeve - no hairdryer or iron. It seems that the hotel renovated the room but did not take the time to finish it. Awful continental breakfast - toast, packaged pastries and yogurt.

I asked the front desk staff if there were restaurants within walking distance and was told yes. No offer to make a recommendation, etc. or even provide a map of the downtown area.

When I was checking out, I found that they did not apply my AAA discount. While they were correcting it, I mentioned the towels, lack of hairdryer, etc. The girl at the front desk said that they have hairdryers behind the desk but since I didn't get my towels, she wouldn't expect I would get a hairdryer to the room. No mention of bringing up my concerns to the manager, etc.

I feel that even though the room was charming, it was incomplete. Staff was semi-helpful, their upgraded, fully renovated room missing so many key items. I would steer clear of this hotel unless you can book online for a discounted rate and then get a free upgrade to a renovated room.

Room Tip: Book online and then ask for the expedia, orbitz, etc. double upgrade to a fully renovated room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Mt. Dora, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

The Eureka Inn was a Grande Dame at one time....but is no longer, sadly. She is said to be under renovation and perhaps will be elegant once again. In the meantime, the 70's furniture in our room was chipped and there was a musty odor throughout the hotel. The staff was excellent....our check in clerk was helpful and attentive and the morning breakfast attendant was friendly and chatty. The breakfast consists of juices, coffee, 1/2 filled bags of bread and English muffins, margarine in a butter dish and grape jelly. Oh...and a tray of iced yogurt. There was no coffee pot in our room, an amenity we've grown to expect in the most modest of hotels. For $106 we could have done better....much better.

San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I recently stayed at the Eureka Inn with my husband, two friends, and their daughter. The staff was very friendly and was informative about the history and nostalgia of the inn. They spent time talking with us, telling us stories about the hotel, and even entertained my friend's two year old!
The rooms are starting to be renovated, and they still need more upgrades to make them more comfortable.
But its definitely a cool place to stay and the staff went above and beyond to make the experience memorable.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a nicer room, the first floor has renovated rooms for a slightly higher price
Northern California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I booked a basic room for work travel. The hotel is undergoing renovation, so I was not expecting everything to be ideal. I do have to say that the front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. But, because of dirty conditions (pubic hair on toilet, significant/old cobwebs) and one leaky tub, I ended up looking at 4 basic rooms before deciding I needed to upgrade to one of the renovated rooms. Even that one was a bit dirty, though at least not from prior stays, but from leftover spackel stains on some of the tub tiling and other places in the bathroom and from white spots on the new mirror. The shower has two open sides (versus the standard one side) but the curtain didn't wrap around the whole stall, making for a drafty shower experience. I wouldn't go there again unless things change with strong, consistent reviews - esp for the price of an upgraded room. There are other places in Humboldt County that are cleaner for less. It's really too bad because I think the historic building could really be outstanding and unique with better care.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

Unfortunately, my husband and I decided to stay at the Eureka Inn on the last day of our road trip up the California coast, and on the night of our first wedding anniversary. We opted for a third floor room to try to get a better view and not have anyone stomping on our heads. Right away, once in our room we could hear our neighbors kids jumping around and yelling and could hear the fathers entire phone conversation. The walls were paper thin. The decor and finishings were straight out of a seventies budget movie, so we opted for a first floor upgraded room. The girl at the desk was amazingly sweet and even showed us the room first, but you could tell she was a little more than freaked out about the hotels creepy ambiance when she said that the particular hallway we were walking down made her want to write a complaint letter to Jack Nicholson because of its resemblance to the hallway in The Shining.....and she was right! We were bummed that the place was in an obvious state of lax, low-budget "refurbishing" and the restaurant, bar, and even the sauna were closed for upgrades. The place was totally quiet and might do better with some relaxing background music or sweet air freshened to mask the musty smells. On the bright side, our upgraded room was OKish and ckean, but decorated in a Tuscan style which did not match the feel of the hotel, bed was not extremely comfy and the toiletries were super cheapy. However, we could easily walk to Olde Town and the staff was very nice. Probably would not stay here again, and would definitely NOT have my daughters wedding here. With some Major updates, keeping with the actual theme of the hotel, this place COULD be great......and with some air freshened.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Eureka Inn? Share your experiences!