“Lousy housekeeping, won't stay again” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Escondido
Los Angeles, California
“Lousy housekeeping, won't stay again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We returned to this property for a second time as we were participating in the CA State Games. Having stayed here just the month prior, I thought I made a good choice to stay here again noting the proximity to the track. When we first arrived, Zen was working the desk alone. Three other guests arrived at the same time making it rather crowded at the tiny front desk. She had to call housekeeping staff via the warlike talkie to check if the rooms were ready. Much to my dismay, and the dismay of others, the rooms were not ready and we ended up having to wait 30-40 minutes to get in; however, the key was given to me as well as the others who had to wait. When I did get to the assigned room, I wasn't pleased with the location of the room noting it was at the end of the building, on the 3rd floor, near the stairwell, laundry facilities for guests, and vending machines. It was a security concern for me as my daughter and I were traveling alone and there was no door closing the stairwell entry or separating the laundry area. The roof access was mere feet away from our room entrance door. I approached housekeeping staff on the other end of the floor near the room I was originally going to be assigned and asked them if I would be able to see that room as they were cleaning the room directly across the hall, and I knew the room was empty. They acted as if they did not understand me, even said, "me no speak English", and walked away. Apparently they called their counterpart because another housekeeper came out of another room and said I would have to go downstairs and speak to the front desk. I walked all the way to the 1st floor and made my concerns known. I was told they would send someone up to let me into the room. I went back upstairs and had to call back down as I had waited 5 minutes and no one showed. Eventually I was told there was no other room because a wedding party had blocked majority of the rooms on that floor. Despite my reservation, we stayed.
We left for our outing the next morning, having showered and made coffee in the room. Upon our return, it was noted the housekeeping staff did a substandard, at best, job of cleaning our room. The empty wrapper from the soap used that morning was left on the side of the bathtub, right where my daughter left it, the old used soap was on top of the wrapper as well as on the sink near the faucet. New unwrapped soaps were left on the plastic divider near the clean washcloths. The coffee pot was not rinsed out, nor was the damaged tea bag or plastic pack of coffee stirrers and sugar replaced. This happened during our entire stay. The pull out sofa bed stayed pulled out each day we left, so upon our return we had to push it in to allow us to sit on the couch until it was time for bed. We were unable to sit on the bed noting the broken bed spring on the right corner.
During the breakfast hours, the housekeeping staff repeatedly refill the items as the guests are trying to fix plates and toast. The area is really small so the guests have to step aside to allow the staff to put the items in. Additionally, as I was walking into the breakfast area one morning, a staff member was coming out. Since we both couldn't fit through the door, and she clearly wouldn't let me through first, I had to step aside to let her out so that I could go in to grab an apple. She didn't even say excuse me! I was appalled!
This was by far the worst stay at any hotel I have ever stayed. When I voiced my concerns Upon my checkout, I was offered a weak "I'm sorry" and given the assurance my concerns would be passed along to the general manager, Vickie Amorino, who conveniently was on the phone as I was checking out. That was two days ago. I have yet to be contacted by anyone from the hotel.
Being a seasoned traveler, I am used to staying at hotels that offer cleanliness and superior housekeeping. This was not the case at this hotel. I informed the associate at the desk that the next time I have a need to be in the area, I will travel to the Ranch Bernardo area in hopes of having a clean hotel and a safe environment. You would think the staff would be committed to making and keeping the guests happy and satisfied seeing as how they are paying for the accommodations. Sadly the staff at this hotel seem to be just looking for the bucks and could not care less about their guests. I am so very disappointed and am shaking my head that this particular hotel carries the Holiday Inn Express brand name. They surely do not live up to the reputation.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on 3rd floor near vending machine and corner stairwell, no security
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
vfarmonio, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego - Escondido, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Sightseer1127:

Thank you for taking the time to advise us of your dissatisfaction during your recent stay with us. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We will not make any excuses but instead we will strive harder to make sure that these issues will not happen again. We will meet with the staff and develop an action plan that will prevent future reoccurrence.

You willingness to share your experience is genuinely appreciated. We hope that you will allow us another opportunity of serving your lodging needs. If I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to call me.

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Escondido

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Camarillo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

The staff at this holiday inn express were excellent. Very friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is probably in need of some updating. The rooms seemed a little small for a family of four. The location is close to almost anything you need including several choices of restaurants. Pool is nice and inviting. Free breakfast was nice with good variety. For whats in the immediate area, its a good option.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
vfarmonio, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego - Escondido, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Rick M:

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff to be very friendly and helpful. Indeed our location has easy freeway access and conveniently located to almost everything. We now have "healthy options" available during our breakfast hours so we hope that you were able to take advantage of that as well.

Once again, thank you for choosing Holiday Inn hotels for your lodging needs and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Fortaleza, CE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Far from a new hotel but comfortable. I didn't realize that the noise I heard much of the night was from the mini-refrigerator and that the noise could be stopped by closing it with some force. The hotel's one elevator is so small that a luggage cart can be accommodate only with a fair amount of effort (when I left, I just made extra trips and book the bags down by hand).

The hotel is almost next to I-15 and an offramp. I asked for a room not facing the freeway, and got one. I'd rate the standard HIE breakfast as so-so. I booked my hotel on a Sunday evening upon arrival, and got a rate lower than that I'd found on the Web site.

There are several fast food places just across the parking lot, and a couple of sit-down restaurants within walking distance.

I didn't use the pool, but several guests did.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from Interstate 15.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
vfarmonio, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego - Escondido, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear sutter:

Thank you for your comment about your brief stay with us. We are glad that we were able to accommodate your request. Our windows are double paned and therefore you can barely here the noise coming from the freeway. We will also be adding some "healthy options" to our breakfast menu as of the end of the month and so hopefully you will visit us again so that you can give it a try.

We appreciate your business and hope to welcome you back soon.

Woodland Hills, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Well we were back in Escondido (this time for the playoff's) and we elected not to go back to Rancho Bernardo (see my previous review) and instead stayed at Holiday Inn Express. While it may not have the lush grounds that the other property has, the rooms were great (very comfy). Wifi was free as was the breakfast (that the entire team enjoyed). AND.... they gave us an hour extra on the late check out. Staff was very courteous and friendly. How can you go wrong with an In-N-out in the parking lot! If we make the playoffs again next year this is where I am staying.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
vfarmonio, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego - Escondido, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Mikepoly:

We thank you for taking the time to send in your review of our property. We are delighted that your group enjoyed our comfortable rooms, hot buffet breakfast. and our courteous and friendly staff. Indeed a lot of our guests enjoy the convenience of having In' N Out Burger next door. Needless to say, our location is close to shopping and tons of restaurants which is a plus when choosing your lodging.

We are looking forward to your next stay with us. Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn hotels.

Preston, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Location was close to the main road and there were a couple of places to eat within walking distance. Check in was fine and all interactions we had with staff were friendly. The room was clean and we had no issues during our night there.

Room Tip: There is no good view from this hotel since it is on the edge of the highway, what appears to be a i...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
vfarmonio, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego - Escondido, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear jnchart:

Thank you for your comment about our clean room and friendly staff. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know that you were pleased with your stay. We hope that you were able to try our hot buffet breakfast.

We do have a great location and close to almost anything you can think of. Thank for choosing Holiday Inn hotels and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed here to visit the Safari Park nearby. It was convenient to everything we needed. Lots of restaurants nearby. The staff was very pleasant and cheerful. Everything was clean. You might say the rooms need a little updating, but for the price it was great. Breakfast was more than I expected for a continental breakfast. There were cold bottles of water and a snack in the entry area in the afternoon. The staff was helpful in helping us find restaurants. Beds were comfortable.

Room Tip: King size beds available. They do have AAA discounts
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear LAHLH:

We are delighted to hear that you found our staff to be pleasant, cheerful and helpful. We are the closest Holiday Inn Hotel Express to the San Diego Safari Park and located in close proximity to shops, restaurants, grocery stores and etc. We are also glad that you were able to take advantage of our hot buffet breakfast as well as our welcome hors d ouevres and bottled water in the lobby area during weekday afternoons.

We thank you for your business and hope that you will come back and visit us again.

Epsom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed here to visit the Safari Park,everything was very satisfactory, staff were friendly.Hotel was close to some excellent reestaurants and convienent for the motorway. We must recommend the restaurant Cocos which was within walking distance, the service and value was excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
vfarmonio, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego - Escondido, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
We are delighted to know that your stay with us was very satisfactory. It is also nice to hear that our staff were friendly and service and value was excellent. Indeed we have a great location with easy freeway access and close to shoping and restaurants.

We hope that you will come and visit us again. We thank you for choosing Holiday Inn hotels.

Vikki Armonio

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Diego - Escondido? Share your experiences!