We returned to this property for a second time as we were participating in the CA State Games. Having stayed here just the month prior, I thought I made a good choice to stay here again noting the proximity to the track. When we first arrived, Zen was working the desk alone. Three other guests arrived at the same time making it rather crowded at the tiny front desk. She had to call housekeeping staff via the warlike talkie to check if the rooms were ready. Much to my dismay, and the dismay of others, the rooms were not ready and we ended up having to wait 30-40 minutes to get in; however, the key was given to me as well as the others who had to wait. When I did get to the assigned room, I wasn't pleased with the location of the room noting it was at the end of the building, on the 3rd floor, near the stairwell, laundry facilities for guests, and vending machines. It was a security concern for me as my daughter and I were traveling alone and there was no door closing the stairwell entry or separating the laundry area. The roof access was mere feet away from our room entrance door. I approached housekeeping staff on the other end of the floor near the room I was originally going to be assigned and asked them if I would be able to see that room as they were cleaning the room directly across the hall, and I knew the room was empty. They acted as if they did not understand me, even said, "me no speak English", and walked away. Apparently they called their counterpart because another housekeeper came out of another room and said I would have to go downstairs and speak to the front desk. I walked all the way to the 1st floor and made my concerns known. I was told they would send someone up to let me into the room. I went back upstairs and had to call back down as I had waited 5 minutes and no one showed. Eventually I was told there was no other room because a wedding party had blocked majority of the rooms on that floor. Despite my reservation, we stayed.
We left for our outing the next morning, having showered and made coffee in the room. Upon our return, it was noted the housekeeping staff did a substandard, at best, job of cleaning our room. The empty wrapper from the soap used that morning was left on the side of the bathtub, right where my daughter left it, the old used soap was on top of the wrapper as well as on the sink near the faucet. New unwrapped soaps were left on the plastic divider near the clean washcloths. The coffee pot was not rinsed out, nor was the damaged tea bag or plastic pack of coffee stirrers and sugar replaced. This happened during our entire stay. The pull out sofa bed stayed pulled out each day we left, so upon our return we had to push it in to allow us to sit on the couch until it was time for bed. We were unable to sit on the bed noting the broken bed spring on the right corner.
During the breakfast hours, the housekeeping staff repeatedly refill the items as the guests are trying to fix plates and toast. The area is really small so the guests have to step aside to allow the staff to put the items in. Additionally, as I was walking into the breakfast area one morning, a staff member was coming out. Since we both couldn't fit through the door, and she clearly wouldn't let me through first, I had to step aside to let her out so that I could go in to grab an apple. She didn't even say excuse me! I was appalled!
This was by far the worst stay at any hotel I have ever stayed. When I voiced my concerns Upon my checkout, I was offered a weak "I'm sorry" and given the assurance my concerns would be passed along to the general manager, Vickie Amorino, who conveniently was on the phone as I was checking out. That was two days ago. I have yet to be contacted by anyone from the hotel.
Being a seasoned traveler, I am used to staying at hotels that offer cleanliness and superior housekeeping. This was not the case at this hotel. I informed the associate at the desk that the next time I have a need to be in the area, I will travel to the Ranch Bernardo area in hopes of having a clean hotel and a safe environment. You would think the staff would be committed to making and keeping the guests happy and satisfied seeing as how they are paying for the accommodations. Sadly the staff at this hotel seem to be just looking for the bucks and could not care less about their guests. I am so very disappointed and am shaking my head that this particular hotel carries the Holiday Inn Express brand name. They surely do not live up to the reputation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Diego-Escondido is nestled in hills of north San Diego county, minutes to Wild Animal Park, Performing Art Center, Harrah's Rincon Casino, Valley View Casino, Pala Casino, Cal. State San Marcos, Award Winning Stone Brewing Co., Golf Courses, fishing, and Wineries. Easy access to downtown San Diego, Seaworld, San Diego Zoo, Old Town, Legoland, Beaches, Parks and only a few miles from hiking, Cineplex, and Ice skating. Walking distance to shopping and restaurants. Centrally located to business & financial district of Escondido. Local companies include Sony, Lockheed Martin, Hewlett Packard and many more. Includes daily deluxe hot breakfast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Odigeo, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express San Diego - Escondido reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express San Diego - Escondido Hotel Escondido
- Holiday Inn Express Escondido
- Holiday Inn Escondido
- Escondido Holiday Inn