“Average it is” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Escondido
Chicago, Illinois
“Average it is”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed at this place one night on business and it's what I expected. This isn't a new property and it's age shows. It's moderately clean and comfortable, but don't expect much. Still, it's not as bad as some of the reviews let on, at least my room wasn't. For the price it's reasonable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
vfarmonio, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego - Escondido, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
We appreciate your feedback. We hope that you were able to take advantage of our hot buffet breakfast daily including our famous cinnamon rolls and pancakes. We truly appreciate your business and we hope to welcome you back again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I hold loyalty status with HiltonHonors (Diamond), Marriott Rewards (Gold), and Priority Club (Gold) and try to avoid Holiday Inn Properties at all cost because I've never had a good stay and considering they are in the same pricing category as Hampton Inn's it's a no-brainer to stay at the Hampton if I have a choice.

I didn't have that choice for this one night stay. The property was old, uninviting, and in
desperate need of an update. The room was dingy, musty, and to be quite honest gave me a very bad feeling being in that room like something had happened in that room or hotel before that didn't end well. First time at a hotel I've ever had a feeling like this.

Everything about the room was uncomfortable for me so I was happy to get out of their as quickly as possible the next morning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego - Escondido, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear CCTVTrainer,

Thanks for your review of our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I deeply regret the inconvenience you may have experienced with the room accommodations that you received. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We've stayed in some pretty bad places before, but this is about the worst. This place is dirty, noisy, and negligent in providing basic security. This is a high target crime location. The "inn" is in two sections. The satellite section have locks but they don't work or are disabled by the employees. Sliding glass door locks are insufficient and show signs of repeated break ins. The staff is dysfunctional from the manager to the maid service. The manager will listen to your concerns, smile, and tell you they will get right on it. But nothing ever happens. Receptionists are so tired of all the complaints, they are nearly catatonic. Maids will unlock all rooms and block the doors open so they can clean them at the same time. When they go on break, or in another room, your room is completely unsecured. Even corporate has given up on this property. They will take your complaint, then do nothing. If you value your life, avoid this place at all costs. Because of this one facility and disregard for your personal security, we have blocked all Holiday Inns from our bookings until corporate address the problems.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, avoid the annex. You may get lucky in the main building. It's your life a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego - Escondido, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear FunBirds,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I truly apologize for the not up to par experience you had during you stay with us. We appreciate all guest feedback, and strive to provide excellent service to all of our guests. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Based on its rating and location, I didn't have high hopes for this hotel. However, it was close to the family we were visiting and we just needed a place to sleep. It was perfect for that. The main complaint I have is that as often as I can, I try to get a hotel with a 2 room suite so that I can have the kids go to sleep before the adults and I can have some quiet time before bed. However their 2 room suite does not have a door dividing the 2 rooms. There is definitely a bedroom area and a separate living area and both were spacious and comfortable, but no door to block some noise and give a physical barrier to a toddler. I might as well saved some money and had a regular room. The room and bathroom were clean. The breakfast was perfect for our family. Enough options that everyone was happy and full. They have typical continental options like cold/hot cereal, bagels, fruit, juice, milk, coffee. They also provide a few hot breakfast options, like some type of egg, bacon, biscuits and gravy is what we had. The service was friendly and efficient.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. Your willingness to share your experience is appreciated. All of our suites are designed to have a living room area and a bedroom area but no door in between for privacy. We also have connecting rooms available with one king bed and two double beds in the other room and has a door in between. We are delighted that you were able to take advantage of our hot buffet breakfast daily. We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Green River, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We went here as a family vacation over the new year. The stay was comfortable, check in was quick and easy, room was clean & breakfast was good. The beds were fine although, I thought, were a bit undersized. My biggest gripe is claiming you have wifi when it barely works, you might as well not have it available. I was going to talk to an employee about it but never got around to it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience during your stay with us. Perhaps you stayed in a room that has a double bed however, we also have king size beds available. We also apologize that you were not able to get WIFI connection when you were here and for not getting a chance to share the issue with us. I just want to let you know that we have since then had increased our bandwidth and have changed our internet provider and therefore we expect to have better service and connection. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve your lodging needs in the future.
Simi Valley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We were looking for a convenient and affordable location for a 1 day trip to the Safari Park. We were 6 adults total, spread among 2 suites. Overall it was a lot older and more worn on the inside than the photos and description lead to believe. I got a discounted rate of about $130 per night.

The breakfast was OK, but not super. However, for a quick bite it was all right.

My complaint would be that the front desk clerk allowed my mother to just make changes in the payment arrangements - without consulting me. I was the person on the reservation for both rooms, and the clerk should not have adjusted the payment method to my Mother's credit card without checking with me first.

Access to/from freeway and to the Safari Park was great and made for easy back and forth. We ate at the Olive Garden a little bit down the road and that was very convenient.

The morning of our departure, I asked the front desk if they had any water. They gave me 1 bottle! Wow, 1 bottle of comp water for a party of 6. I hope it did not break the bank. :-)

Overall verdict: A little bit tired, but location suited as well. Price a little high for this location/anemities, but San Diego area in general is a bit of a money-squeeze.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your comments during your stay with us. We are pleased that you were able to take advantage of our hot buffet breakfast and stayed in our larger rooms. We apologize about the billing issue. It is not our intention to hide the payment arrangement with you and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this matter may have caused you. Once again, thank you for your business and we hope to welcome you back again in the near future.
Newport Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

The room felt dirty and the sheets on the bed had holes in them. The hotel was stuffy and had no circulating air in the common areas. Our room had a view of the noisy freeway and the air conditioning unit attached was noisy and did not work well. When I complained the front desk told me they would have it fixed it and they never did. Housekeeping never came to clean our room. Our friends stayed in another room had bed bug bites the next day. Way over priced for the horrible conditions. Will never stay at any Holiday Inn again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
vfarmonio, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego - Escondido, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Please allow me this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your recent stay at our hotel. We are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. We would like the opportunity to welcome you back in an effort to provide you the level of service you expect from Holiday Inn hotels. You can reach me at (760) 741-7117 should you wish to further discuss your concerns.

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Diego - Escondido? Share your experiences!