This may be lengthy, but I will try to cover everything...
My family and I just returned to the Midwest from our week vacation to San Deigo - I travelled with my spouse, stepson (age 10) and son (4 1/2 months).
The Welks was recommended through a friend and we liked the idea of staying in a condo - the separate bedroom and kitchen were musts.
1. The Welks San Deigo is part of Welks Resorts - this is a time share property... HOWEVER, except for the short pitch (<2 minutes) when we checked in and a 30sec talk when I called the front desk with a question(they wanted to be sure I knew about the time share option), we were NEVER pressured to sit through a time share talk during our 8d stay.
2. Check-in was at 4p but we went straight to the resort upon landing 10ish. We were allowed to pre-check-in (paperwork done; no room keys; given keys to access the pool and resort amenities) which allowed me to pick which condo I wanted (it was not what they had assigned us) and to avoid the long check-in lines after 4p.
3. The initial person I booked through (directly thru the resort) suggested we stay on the Greens which could allow us to walk directly out our back patio onto the Golf Greens. I asked to stay in the newest (Mountain Villa) section because of its king size pillow top beds and newer condos. Be careful to note that many units throughout the entire complex are built into hillsides so a 1st floor unit may have you going down stairs to enter, but you walk out to flat ground, while the 2nd floor enters at street level, but has a balcony out back....etc. We stayed on the 3rd floor of unit 39 which gave us views down one of the Fairways and to the back of that area's pool. Our view was incredible, but the people on the two floors below us probably only saw a drainage area or the rocks surrounding the pool. Building 38 was next to us and was away from the pool. The 2 other buildings in our section overlooked the parking lot and across to the pool.
4. There were 5 different pools to choose from - the primary pool, with it's fast waterslide and playground was VERY crowded. Our area had a smaller waterslide and kids water play area (very nice). The other pools were more relaxed.
5. As a resort, there were multiple activities to do throughout the day - either free or for a nominal fee - golf lessons, pillow making, pool side movies, sundae making, casino night - to name a few. Each area also had a clubhouse with games (board games, electronic games, air hockey, ping pong, etc depending on which area you were in) - you could even rent fishing poles, videos and/or video gaming systems.
6. Our condo was very nice. Make sure to request a washer/dryer unit if you have kids! We had a king size bed in the master with a jacuzzi tub. Living room had a pull out queen size sleeper for our older son. We did move things around a little, but we were able to fit the pack-in-play next to the sofa - NOTE - the Resort does NOT have cribs/p-i-ps - you either need to bring one or rent one. The shower had dual shower heads and a rainfall overhead unit. There was plenty of places to store clothes but I would have liked more shelves instead of hanging areas.
7. The onsite Pizza Hut was reasonable and fast. The main restaurant was fine too - we only did carry out from there.
8. The Resort is in Escondido so you do need a car. We went into SD Proper at least 4x and it really only took about 30-40min each way. Legoland was 20-25min (off the interstate). Del Mar was about 30min.
9. The Resort does have an 18hold standard course and a different Par 3 course - we didn't play, but my husband said the course looked well kept. The golf clubs for rent were apparently marginal quality but not badly priced.
We were very pleased with the resort and its amenities and would recommend it anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welk Resort San Diego is a Southern California vacation all suite/villa destination Resort and Water Park offering couples and families the ultimate San Diego getaway experience. Just minutes from world famous destinations San Diego Zoo's Safari Park (20 minutes), LEGOLAND (25 minutes), San Diego Zoo (40 minutes), San Diego Gaslamp District (35 minutes), SeaWorld (40 minutes) Temecula wineries, area casinos, and some of the most beautiful beaches (30 minutes) in the world! Welk Resorts offers luxurious and spacious one and two bedroom villa suites, with panoramic views of golf courses or surrounding mountains. Villas include sitting and dining areas, complete kitchens with full cookware and dishware, patios or balconies, and complimentary WiFi access. Parking is complimentary and there are no resort fees. Guests will experience casual dining at Canyon Grille restaurant or Pizza Hut Express, fun in the sun at Five Clubhouses featuring one colossal pool and seven large pools & 8 spas, two water slides, two kids' splash pads and playgrounds, table games, catch and release fishing pond, hourly planned activities for all age groups, lighted tennis courts, and a relaxing round of golf on one of two 18 hole golf courses. The Welk Resort Theatre is home to top-notch talent performing Broadway style musicals and starring in comedy and variety shows, including tribute bands. During the Summer are music festivals at the Welk Amphitheatre on the Greens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, BookIt.com, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Welk Resort San Diego reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Welk Resort San Diego Hotel Escondido
- Welk Hotel Escondido
- Welk Resort Escondido
- Welk Hotel San Diego