My wife, 10-year old son and I stayed here through Interval International exchange for 7 days during Easter spring break week.
This pleasant golf resort, built on a hillside, is located about 35 miles north of San Diego airport and NOT near anything, so you will need a car. Wild Animal Park is about the only thing within 20 minutes from the resort. Legoland is about 35 minutes. La Jolla is 40 minutes. Downtown San Diego is 45-60 minutes, depending on southern California traffic. Grocery stores are nowhere nearby so expect to drive at least 8-10 miles to buy food. There is an expensive restaurant and a Pizza Hut Express (with delivery) on the resort.
Checking in was quick and friendly. As with most timeshares, we then had to go to the concierge to pick up our “parking pass and welcome package.” The sales person (I mean, concierge) was pleasant and briefly offered a tour of the property but did not push it when I said I already own a lot of (probably too much) timeshare. There was no further push to sell timeshare the rest of the week.
Parking on the resort was free although got full at night. Our accommodation (Pelican Hill) was near 2 pools with a slide and activity center. The center had ping-pong, pool table, air hockey, and foosball. Although we did not take advantage of it, there were numerous scheduled activities on site, along with a live theater. Outdoor grills were plentiful and the awesome smell of BBQ was ubiquitous. During spring break, there were quite a few families with kids but did not feel overwhelming at all.
We stayed in a 1-bedroom accommodation. The room size was adequate for 3 people. Everything was well maintained and clean. Décor was agreeable but not fancy, with tile counter-top in the kitchen and bathroom, laminate cabinets and flooring. Small flat-panel TV and DVD player were located over the refrigerator in the kitchen??? Another small TV was in the bedroom. Bed and living room furniture were comfortable enough but the pillows were not. The water pressure in the shower was so low that it literally took 3 minutes before the water got hot. There was only a big shower but not a tub—it was not a problem for us, but may be for those with small children that require baths.
Appliances included a 2-burner stove, full-size refrigerator, convection microwave, toaster, coffee maker, and apartment-size dishwasher. NO conventional oven, so shop for groceries accordingly. No real baking plate even for the convection microwave. And most exasperating was NO washer/dryer in the room or in the building. So to do laundry, you have to haul it to a coin-operated facility across the resort and wait there for it.
Wi-Fi was free in the room. Download speed was adequate in the mornings but noticeably slow in the evenings (when everyone else was using it). No in-room safe.
Noise was only a minor problem—we could hear neighbors through connecting door between suites and toilet flushing at night. Mid-week housekeeping included swapping out towels and taking out the trash. But they forgot to replace a couple of towels (that the sign in the room says we could be charged for) but they brought it to us after we called.
The location of the resort is good for people to come and just hang out, but VERY FAR from most of the attractions in the San Diego area so plan to do a lot of driving (we put nearly 600 miles on the rental in 1 week). Overall the resort is comfortable, but not having laundry in the room (not even in the same building) is below today’s timeshare standards.
- Also Known As:
- Welk Resort San Diego Hotel Escondido
- Welk Resort San Diego Hotel
- Lawrence Welk Resort
- Welk Hotel Escondido
- Welk Resort
- Welk Resort Escondido
- Welk Hotel San Diego
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welk Resort San Diego is a Southern California vacation all suite/villa destination Resort and Water Park offering couples and families the ultimate San Diego getaway experience. Just minutes from world famous destinations San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park (20 minutes), LEGOLAND (25 minutes), San Diego Zoo (40 minutes), San Diego Gaslamp District (35 minutes), SeaWorld (40 minutes) Temecula wineries, area casinos, and some of the most beautiful beaches (30 minutes) in the world! Welk Resorts offers luxurious and spacious one and two bedroom villa suites, with panoramic views of golf courses or surrounding mountains. Villas include sitting and dining areas, complete kitchens with full cookware and dishware, patios or balconies, and complimentary high speed Internet access. Parking is complimentary and there are no resort fees. Guests will experience casual dining at Canyon Grille restaurant or Pizza Hut Express, fun in the sun at Five Clubhouses featuring one colossal pool and seven large pools & 8 spas, two water slides, two kids' splash pads and playgrounds, table games, catch and release fishing pond, hourly planned activities for all age groups, lighted tennis courts, and a relaxing round of golf on one of two 18 hole golf courses. The Welk Resort Theatre is home to top-notch talent performing Broadway style musicals and starring in comedy and variety shows, including tribute bands. During the Summer are music festivals at the Welk Amphitheatre on the Greens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Venere, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Hotels.com so you can book your Welk Resort San Diego reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.