My husband and I stayed here through our timeshare company and my brother in law and his wife joined us during the week. I was a little concerned that the resort would have too much of a "senior focus" due to the name, but I had no need to worry - there was plenty to do for every age group, from families with young children, to adult groups such as ourselves without children, as well as seniors. We had a wonderful time.
The villa was beautiful and well designed. We had a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, second floor end unit that was very bright and roomy. Each bedroom/bathroom area was self-contained with a door leading into a small hall between the bedroom, bathroom and a walk in closet, giving a lot of privacy. Each bedroom also has its own TV, as well as there being one with a DVD player in the living room. Each bathroom was very large, with two sinks and large shower areas. There was a large veranda with a beautiful view where we ate our breakfast each morning. Although we were 4 adults, we never once felt crowded in the villa.
We had a fully equipped kitchen. In additon to the standard utensils, dishes, pots and pans there was also salt and pepper, coffee filters and sweetener (and coffee for our first morning), and dishwasher detergent for hte dishwasher. We had shampoo, conditioner, and body lotion in each bathroom, and a washer/dryer with a small box of detergent. There was free wi-fi in the villa - as it is not wireless, we borrowed a cord from the hotel to hook up to the internet. There was a $10 deposit for the cord which was refunded when the cord was returned.
I would recommend asking for a second floor unit. Our neighbor downstairs came up to view our unit and remarked that the upper units were much nicer due to the vaulted ceilings and raised balconies. She felt her lower unit was a bit "cave like" and was going to try to get moved (I don't know if she was successful).
There was maid service once during the week, but we were provided with extra dishwasher detergent upon request. We had a plugged toilet one day but the maintenance person responded very quickly to fix it, and guest services followed up with us that evening to ensure that it had been fixed.
The resort grounds are enormous and beautifully kept. I believe there are 5 recreation centres, each with different amenities but open to all guests (we only made it to 3 of the centres during our stay). Our villa was closest to the "adult only" centre which provided an adult-only pool and hot tub (which we appreciated). The other centres had kid friendly pools, including waterslides and splash and spray areas. The resort offers a number of daily activities, some free and some at a small cost. We simply did not have enough time to do everything that we wanted. as there was so much to see and do.
The resort is located within driving distance of all the San Diego attractions - very close to the Wild Animal Park, and the furthest we had to drive was approximately one hour to the Las Americas outlet mall on the American side of the Mexican border. Disounted tickets to attractions were available at the resort. The discounts were not huge, but we had the advantage of being able to pre-purchase tickets and avoid lineups at the attractions themselves. There are a number of wonderful golf courses very close by, including two small executive courses at the resort itself (we did not play them, but could tell from walking around that they were in excellent condition). The main grocery store is a bit of drive, approximately 7 miles away, but there is a small convenience store at the resort offering basic grocery items.
This resort defnitely exceeded our expectations and we intend to stay there again.
- Also Known As:
- Welk Resort San Diego Hotel Escondido
- Welk Resort San Diego Hotel
- Lawrence Welk Resort
- Welk Hotel Escondido
- Welk Resort
- Welk Resort Escondido
- Welk Hotel San Diego
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welk Resort San Diego is a Southern California vacation all suite/villa destination Resort and Water Park offering couples and families the ultimate San Diego getaway experience. Just minutes from world famous destinations San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park (20 minutes), LEGOLAND (25 minutes), San Diego Zoo (40 minutes), San Diego Gaslamp District (35 minutes), SeaWorld (40 minutes) Temecula wineries, area casinos, and some of the most beautiful beaches (30 minutes) in the world! Welk Resorts offers luxurious and spacious one and two bedroom villa suites, with panoramic views of golf courses or surrounding mountains. Villas include sitting and dining areas, complete kitchens with full cookware and dishware, patios or balconies, and complimentary high speed Internet access. Parking is complimentary and there are no resort fees. Guests will experience casual dining at Canyon Grille restaurant or Pizza Hut Express, fun in the sun at Five Clubhouses featuring one colossal pool and seven large pools & 8 spas, two water slides, two kids' splash pads and playgrounds, table games, catch and release fishing pond, hourly planned activities for all age groups, lighted tennis courts, and a relaxing round of golf on one of two 18 hole golf courses. The Welk Resort Theatre is home to top-notch talent performing Broadway style musicals and starring in comedy and variety shows, including tribute bands. During the Summer are music festivals at the Welk Amphitheatre on the Greens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Tingo, Venere, Priceline, EasyToBook, Hotels.com and Fareportal so you can book your Welk Resort San Diego reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.