This past week we stayed in the "Annie" section (two room suite; dual master bedrooms on opposite sides of the shared living area & kitchen), and really enjoyed the amenities. We had two families of three + one grandparent.
Check-In was as little time-consuming, so the Moms played outside w/the kids while the Dads checked in. MUCH easier this way; the process was too long for a 4yo & 6yo to maintain good behavior.
The rooms were very spacious and seating was adequate. (Dining room table seated 4 - 5 comfortably, but when we all ate together it was pretty tight.) The rooms definitely had a nice, upscale feel to them with granite & marble baths & countertops throughout. The tile floor was nice, the carpet was pretty standard.
- TONS of activities (with a lot of variety in those activities, although many required additional $)
- Self-contained (for those inclined to stick around the resort, there's plenty to do - not much reason to leave unless you are heading to San Diego for Sea World, Zoo, etc.)
- Nice amenities in unit (good quality towels, food storage for leftovers, small broom for tidying, shampoo, laundry soap, & so on...)
- Nice amenities at resort (some of our best times during the trip were spent just playing in the pool & walking around the resort)
- a little tough to get service; had to call Housekeeping multiple times for various things - nothing too huge, but would have been nice to feel like the staff was more accessible & responsive
- WAY out from San Diego activities - pretty much a 45 minute drive to do anything. This may not be a factor for some, but it was a little tedious to have to drive everytime we wanted to go anywhere "fun."
- No nearby amenities (ie: grocery store, drug store, restaurants) that were not "resort" style and price. Minimum of 15 minutes to get to grocery store for week's worth of supplies. Just hate to spend $5 for 12 aspirin...
- HIGHLY recommend using the Mt. Villas facilities (ie: pool, rec room, etc.), as this also happened to be the "Preview Center" for potential resort owners. The pool (which is AMAZING!) has a zero-entry side, which allowed me to let our 4yo play without me having to carry him around (because he is not tall enough to stand up in 3.5 feet of water.) He loved "looking for sharks" while wandering about in water that he could stand up in!
- Buy bottled water; the tap water was pretty tinny tasting
- Take a little "inventory" of towels, dishes, etc. - we had to request extra of all of them. There were ONLY large bath towels in both bathroom (no handtowels or washclothes - odd.)
We would definitely vacation here again, although I think we would probably stay a few days closer to downtown San Diego, then finish up the vaca here enjoying the pool & family oriented activities.
** We had a major injury while here; the 6 yo fell off a bed & broke his arm about 9pm. While his parents were getting ready to take him to the hospital, we called the security guard and they had a map & directions waiting at the guard booth by the time we left. Really thoughtful!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welk Resort San Diego is a Southern California vacation all suite/villa destination Resort and Water Park offering couples and families the ultimate San Diego getaway experience. Just minutes from world famous destinations San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park (20 minutes), LEGOLAND (25 minutes), San Diego Zoo (40 minutes), San Diego Gaslamp District (35 minutes), SeaWorld (40 minutes) Temecula wineries, area casinos, and some of the most beautiful beaches (30 minutes) in the world! Welk Resorts offers luxurious and spacious one and two bedroom villa suites, with panoramic views of golf courses or surrounding mountains. Villas include sitting and dining areas, complete kitchens with full cookware and dishware, patios or balconies, and complimentary high speed Internet access. Parking is complimentary and there are no resort fees. Guests will experience casual dining at Canyon Grille restaurant or Pizza Hut Express, fun in the sun at Five Clubhouses featuring one colossal pool and seven large pools & 8 spas, two water slides, two kids' splash pads and playgrounds, table games, catch and release fishing pond, hourly planned activities for all age groups, lighted tennis courts, and a relaxing round of golf on one of two 18 hole golf courses. The Welk Resort Theatre is home to top-notch talent performing Broadway style musicals and starring in comedy and variety shows, including tribute bands. During the Summer are music festivals at the Welk Amphitheatre on the Greens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Welk Resort San Diego reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Welk Resort San Diego Hotel Escondido
- Welk Hotel Escondido
- Welk Resort Escondido
- Welk Hotel San Diego