“GREAT Place to Stay with Family!!” 5 of 5 stars

Welk Resort San Diego
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   8860 Lawrence Welk Drive, Escondido, CA 92026   |
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Escondido
Sacramento, California
“GREAT Place to Stay with Family!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

This past week we stayed in the "Annie" section (two room suite; dual master bedrooms on opposite sides of the shared living area & kitchen), and really enjoyed the amenities. We had two families of three + one grandparent.

Check-In was as little time-consuming, so the Moms played outside w/the kids while the Dads checked in. MUCH easier this way; the process was too long for a 4yo & 6yo to maintain good behavior.

The rooms were very spacious and seating was adequate. (Dining room table seated 4 - 5 comfortably, but when we all ate together it was pretty tight.) The rooms definitely had a nice, upscale feel to them with granite & marble baths & countertops throughout. The tile floor was nice, the carpet was pretty standard.

PROS:
- Affordable
- Family-friendly
- TONS of activities (with a lot of variety in those activities, although many required additional $)
- Self-contained (for those inclined to stick around the resort, there's plenty to do - not much reason to leave unless you are heading to San Diego for Sea World, Zoo, etc.)
- Nice amenities in unit (good quality towels, food storage for leftovers, small broom for tidying, shampoo, laundry soap, & so on...)
- Nice amenities at resort (some of our best times during the trip were spent just playing in the pool & walking around the resort)

CONS
- a little tough to get service; had to call Housekeeping multiple times for various things - nothing too huge, but would have been nice to feel like the staff was more accessible & responsive
- WAY out from San Diego activities - pretty much a 45 minute drive to do anything. This may not be a factor for some, but it was a little tedious to have to drive everytime we wanted to go anywhere "fun."
- No nearby amenities (ie: grocery store, drug store, restaurants) that were not "resort" style and price. Minimum of 15 minutes to get to grocery store for week's worth of supplies. Just hate to spend $5 for 12 aspirin...

TIPS
- HIGHLY recommend using the Mt. Villas facilities (ie: pool, rec room, etc.), as this also happened to be the "Preview Center" for potential resort owners. The pool (which is AMAZING!) has a zero-entry side, which allowed me to let our 4yo play without me having to carry him around (because he is not tall enough to stand up in 3.5 feet of water.) He loved "looking for sharks" while wandering about in water that he could stand up in!
- Buy bottled water; the tap water was pretty tinny tasting
- Take a little "inventory" of towels, dishes, etc. - we had to request extra of all of them. There were ONLY large bath towels in both bathroom (no handtowels or washclothes - odd.)

We would definitely vacation here again, although I think we would probably stay a few days closer to downtown San Diego, then finish up the vaca here enjoying the pool & family oriented activities.

** We had a major injury while here; the 6 yo fell off a bed & broke his arm about 9pm. While his parents were getting ready to take him to the hospital, we called the security guard and they had a map & directions waiting at the guard booth by the time we left. Really thoughtful!!

Room Tip: If possible, choose an end unit - the balcony is larger and a little more peaceful.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Gotsparkles,
It is great to hear your family and friends enjoyed their stay here at the Welk Resort. I appreciate you taking the time to post a review. Thank you for the highlights and details provided on our resort activities and features. It is wonderful to hear your family had a fantastic vacation with us. I am sorry to hear about the broken arm. I am glad our security team was able to provide assistance. We look forward to you visiting us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Penticton, B. C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

This was our 2nd time staying at Welk in Escondido. We are very impressed with the level of customer service that is evident everywhere. Of all of the places we have stayed, Welk is far and above the leader in customer service. Our first two nights were in a 1 BR in the Mountain Villas - nice... but nothing compares to the spacious, newly updated 2 BR, 2 bathroom in the Adeline Villa. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there and can't wait to try the new property in Kauai. We also recommend the Welk Resort in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

Room Tip: If you want to make use of the lovely new pool up by the Mountain Villas, then request to stay up th...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Avlem,
Thank you for your positive comments as well as your recommendation. It is great to see you have had the opportunity to enjoy multiple vacations at more than one of our Welk Resort locations. I am glad our guest services team took care of all your needs and that you loved our updated Villas. We look forward to you returning for another fantastic vacation.
Baltimore, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

If you have kids and are used to loud people around you all the time, then you won't mind staying here. But if you are older, with no kids, think twice. We stayed here because of its proximity to Temecula, where we were attending a family wedding and reunion. I would never stay here again. There are too many nicer resorts in the San Diego area that are not so far removed.

The check-in process was like a zoo. The lobby area was too small to accommodate the volume of people. We had to wait in two lines - one to get the room key and one to get the parking pass. There must be a way to increase efficiency. Also, when I was getting the parking pass, I felt like I was being questioned by the authorities, like I had to provide justification for being there and what my activities were going to be every day.

Appliances that didn't work properly: Toaster, iron, clock radio. Missing appliance: Hair dryer (I had to call and ask for one three times, and even went to the office to get one in person, but they wouldn't give me one. I told them when we were going to sleep, so they naturally knocked on the door with the hair dryer after we were in bed).

Serious insect infestation in every room and surface of unit (ants, earwigs, spiders) - horrible!
Kitchen window view was a dirt hole in the ground, literally. Tip - don't supply a window at all if it looks out into a dirt hole below ground.

There were deep puddles of water on the kitchen floor when we arrived (we reported it, thinking the refrigerator was leaking). There was no leak; the maid left it all. We tracked black footprints all over the floor.

The maid had no right to throw away my carrying case for my earplugs that I wear to sleep during her mid-week tidy.

The computer in the Rec Center needs to be located in a quieter area. I thought I was in living hell trying to look up something for 5 minutes with all the extreme noise from the yelling and screaming going on just one foot behind me (I had to yell my husband's name 5 times to get his attention over all of the uproar).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
We apologize that your stay was less than perfect, we appreciate your letting us know some of the challenges you experienced during your stay. We are looking at different options to smooth the check-in process during peak season at our SD resort; there are times during the day where it does takes a bit longer than usual. We are very disappointed with how your villa was prepared for check-in, this is not typical or acceptable and have discussed with housekeeping management. As in most rural resort locations, during the warmer seasons there tends to be more bugs, we have a very stringent inspection and treatment program throughout the year, unfortunately there will still be challenges. Summer is a time that we have lots of families with kids visiting, it can get a bit noisy with the number of kids utilizing the recreation centers and pools, we have an adult only pool area that we should have recommended. Thank you again for staying with us and you may want to consider visiting us during early Fall when there is less families and more couples.
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The property is beautiful from anywhere you look. We were the 2nd floor at the Mountain View area facing the private hot tub/golf course. "Begging" to hear the presentation after being politely told we were not interested was very irritating. Other than that, the only issue we had was no spare rolls of toilet paper and when we entered our suite, we were greeted with a cleaning spray bottle smack dab in front of us. Then the cleaning rag was hanging on the outside of the bathroom door! We never brought this to the attention of management. We simply left it as we found it when we left. I agree the pool was too cool to enjoy it, but the hot tub was wonderful. The beds were comfortable, the view was awesome and the balcony very nice. The Farmer's Market was a wonderful opportunity to get some fresh fruit and vegetables as well as some artists booths. We traveled the area quite a bit and found this location to be convenient to many areas. We very much enjoyed our trip to Hollywood via the resort bus tour. Can't wait to go again.

Dear m g,
Thank you for your comments on the beauty of our resort. I am glad to read a few minor challenges didn't mar your vacation with us. Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review. I appreciate your positive observations. Please be sure to visit us again when you are in the area.
Fairbanks, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We did an exchange with our Time Share in Mexico for a week at the Welk Resort in Escondido. Our Room was 1181 in the Villas on the Greens. It was first floor with a small deck and looked right into the back of another building. It was one bedroom, one bath. nicely furnished, short walk to pool. Our issue was with WiFi and a call to the front desk corrected it. They moved us to a third floor villa overlooking the golf course, rm 3317 I believe. The pool was great and lots of families participated in the activities. We ate at the Grille and the food was very good and the service was excellent. The accommodations were clean and all appliances worked. Our only issue was a towel bar in the bathroom that was by the tub that needed to be reattached. No one came that week to do it. I should have called, but I assumed since it was there after cleaning that someone would come. We were busy all week doing things in the area so barely noticed. The Resort isn't plush, isn't over the top, but the location suited us and we were comfortable.

Room Tip: The Villas on the Greens have the family pool. Melody Hill has a pool & Rec Center for 18 &...
Dear susieak,
I appreciate the feedback on our Villa amenities and resort activities. It is great to hear your family really enjoyed your exchange visit here at the Welk Resort. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to post a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort when you return to the area.
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Welk Resort in Escondido, CA from 9/28-10/5. We have a beautiful place in Breckinridge, CO that we exchanged for our 1 bedroom at the Welk Resort. The room was average at best. When I exchange our unit I expect the same or better in quality and we definitely did not get an even exchange. There were many issues with our room, which were brought to the management's attention and we felt like we were bothering them. First, we had ants in the bathroom which the staff had to come and spray to exterminate. We had an issue with our telephone not working in our room. We were on a ground level and neither one of the screen doors locked, which is a huge security issue. There was no blow dryer in the room as advertised on the Internet. The WIFI on the property is very spotty at best. The water in the pools was very cold and made it hard to enjoy even with some very warm days. Even though we brought all of these issues up to the management, there was never a sense of urgency to resolve the issues. In addition, there was never a true apology for all of the inconveniences! I kow that we will never stay at this place again. Not that the property is so bad, but the management staff sucks and needs a lesson is customer service!!!

Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Beautiful accommodations (one bedroom lock-off) in Ironwood Villa. Quiet patio area facing golf course. A couple of minor house keeping issues that were handled quickly and efficiently. Attentive, helpful staff when asking questions about amenities, etc. Didn't like assumptive attitude that I would attend presentation (which is know I part of the business). Only downside was computers not working well in Owners Lounge when trying to check in and print boarding passes for return flight to Wisconsin. Was visiting family & friends in the area so didn't use pools, spas, restaurants, theatre, etc. I am a dog lover and was pleasantly surprised to see dogs allowed and got to meet two golden retrievers staying at Ironwood. It was an added bonus for me! I wouldn't hesitate to plan another stay and would recommend Welk San Diego. Jay K. from Wisconsin

Room Tip: Ironwood Villas patios / balconies face (south) golf course (Fountains I think) so very quiet and pe...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Jay K,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the beauty and tranquility of our resort. It is good to see our team could handle the majority of your needs. We do allow service animals at the resort. We look forward to you returning to visit us again when you are in the area.

Been to Welk Resort San Diego? Share your experiences!