“Do not waste your time here” 1 of 5 stars

Welk Resort San Diego
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   8860 Lawrence Welk Drive, Escondido, CA 92026   |
Ranked #4 of 17 hotels in Escondido
San Diego, California
“Do not waste your time here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Horrible. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME HERE. We went for the time share presentation and were told that it would be 90 minutes and we ended up being there for 3 1/2 hours. It was the same typical time share draw where they make you seem like you are getting a good deal and pressure you into buying something on the spot. Part of me actually believed them, but the one main draw back with what they are selling is if you look more into the properties you can switch your time share with most of the places I want to go are not even in there. Anyway the first time share person who was with us for most of the afternoon seemed friendly and helped the time go by faster, but then the actual sales rep came over he was horrible. I do not remember his name, but I will say that it was a lot to do with him that made us really not want to buy here. He was very unpersonable and was just direct and to the point and was in no way willing to negotiate at all on price. It is all about coming up with numbers that after you leave there you realize made no sense. The other huge disappointment was that we went to the time share presentation being told we were going to get a three night trip to Hawaii with airfare, but when looking at reviews before we went I found out that you really only end up with about one full day there with the times the flights come in and leave. So we asked to switch to the other gift which was supposed to be three nights in Catalina with boat tickets. I was also told that if the gift did not involve airfare then you were able to go any day of the week including weekends. Well after the presentation we were given our gift and it was one night in Catalina and has to be used midweek with a bunch of restrictions. When I saw this I said this is not what I was promised and was told that they could not do anything and I was given a small slip of paper with a number on it to call. Well I have been calling that number daily and leaving messages and I have not received one call back. I don't even think someone listens to those messages or answers the phone.
The resort itself was not that great either. It was very overcrowded and the amenities were average at best.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your comments on Welk Resort, we appreciate your taking the time to let us know of your experience. It is only through important feedback such as this that we have the opportunity to make improvements to our Guest experience.
It is our sincere wish for all our Guests to leave feeling they have been treated with honesty and kindness and we apologize for having failed in that effort. If you will contact me directly with your full name and phone number I can locate you in our system. If there is anything I may do for you in the future please feel free to contact me directly at the email address below.
Kind regards,
Helen Denton
Helend@welkgroup.com

730 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Palm Springs, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I booked this resort based on other reviews. When we got to the "hotel" it turned out to be a time-share resort. Their whole push to sell me a time share was very upsetting. I had an ill 14 year old with me, and they seemed to be checking in all of the "freeby" time share people before anyone else. We arrived at 11:30 AM, and did not get our unit until 4:00PM. I know that 4:00 is their listed check in time, but I sat in the lobby watching dozens of people on the "special" get checked in while I waited with a ill child.

After I finally got to check in, they had the nerve to tell me that I had to go wait in the line for the time share specialist to talk to me before I could get a parking pass to get into the gated area of the unit. Only after I told them three times that I was not interested in the time share tour, did they finally give me the pass, and that was with a frown.

The ultimate insult was that our unit was not cleaned the first day, and I stopped the maid to ask her why. She told me that it was not "your day". When I asked the desk person why the room was not cleaned, she told me that ROOMS ARE ONLY CLEANED EVERY FOUR DAYS" I AM NOT KIDDING YOU!!!! At least she did agree that it was not right that they don't tell you that when you are booking a room, but she could do nothing about it.

So if you want a time share forced down your throat, this is your place. If you want a nice place to stay for a vacation, go on down the road.

Room Tip: If you want to buy a time share, this is your place. If not, don't bother.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
We appreciate your taking the time to post a review and allowing us the opportunity to thank you for staying with us. We apologize that a room was not available for your early arrival, our front office team should have offered to provide keys to access our 5 recreation centers, some of which have lounges for guests to be able to either read, use the computer or watch TV. We offer daily housekeeping services for a nominal fee which is stated on all reservation sites. We are disappointed that our housekeeping team didn’t mention and no one contacted you. We are able to keep our rates low by not including daily cleans and allowing those who would like to pay for cleans to do so.
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were not owners at Welk San Diego so we exchanged one of our other Time Share Units for a week in July, 2013.. Over the last 18 years we have stayed at more than 25 destinations and Welk San Diego is clearly the best location we have ever enjoyed. The activities for kids are outstanding, including ping pong tournaments, computer simulations, fishing, Teen Nightclub and Teen Karaoke, as well as golf and tennis. The magician's show in the Welk Theatre was extremely entertaining. The resort is within driving distance of dozens of theme parks, attractions and beautiful beaches. The 2BR Villa was spacious, clean and well-appointed. We loved eating breakfast every morning on the terrace overlooking the golf course and a small lake. The views were beautiful and the landscaping was meticulously manicured . The staff was extremely attentive. We didn't want to leave at the end of our stay, so we traded one of our other Time Share Units for a 2BR Villa so we can return to Welk every year. In addition to all of the nationally known attractions like Disneyland, Unversal Studios, Knott's Berry Farm, Sea World, et. al., our 14 year old triplets loved a smaller local destination in San Diego called Belmont Park. In addition to a handful of amusement rides, it had laser tag, rock climbing and two wave pools for surfing. There are also lots of reasonable, excellent restaurants 15 minutes away in Vista, CA. We highly recommend you try CIAO and La Paloma. In addition, there is a movie theatre, wave pool and several chains such as Chipotle, Panda Express, Panera Bread, et. al. We can't imagine a better resort destination for a family with children.

Room Tip: The resort is laid out so that almost all of the rooms have great views and easy access to one of th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Charlesro2
Welcome to the Welk family! Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear your family greatly enjoyed the first of many fantastic family vacations here at Welk Resort. I appreciate the highlights, feedback and comments on the resort amenities and activities from your vacation with us. The local attraction information you provided is great! Thank you for the excellent review. We look forward you seeing you again soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Our family has been owners at Lawrence Welk, San Diego since 1987. We converted one the weeks to Platinum Points at Cabo a couple of years ago. This is when things started to go awry. Lawrence Welk's great reputation is quickly dwindling due to the sales department's tactics. The properties and staff are great as long as you can avoid the flock of sales staff crawling all over the property while your trying to enjoy the day at the pool.

We have tried to get answers and or resolutions to our questions and concerns for months now. The staff at Lawrence Welk Owner Services answer our emails but don't clearly address our concerns. They simply repeat "sales pitches" and non-specific generic statements which clearly do not address the issues at hand.

Though we know most of our frustration is with Interval International, we are Welk's customer and due to the contractual relationship between the two companies, we are stuck dealing with Interval. It is terrible how Interval treats L/Welk customers and what is more ridiculous is that L/W Owner Services defends Interval poor customer service.

Here is a list of some of our concerns:

1) Interval - They just don't care. They refuse to properly handle requests & deposits. They hound you with calls but leave no messsage so you are forced to call them back, after all it might actually be the call giving us the exchange we are hoping for. Each time you call you waste 15-30 mins. being on hold only to be transferred to a "L/Welk" representative and wait on hold again for another 15-20 mins. Then get a person who thinks I'm from Mars when I say "Lawrence Welk" then they tell me I need to talk to Customer Service in order to stop the annoying calls & confirmation letters to resorts I did not request. And if course I wait on hold again only to tell my story a third time only to wake up to another bogus call the very next day. When I complained about the wait time, the rep stated it's always busy time of the year. I suggested if they are so busy they should hire more staff. I had L/Welk Owner Services on a three way call with me and Interval. We were on the line for 57 mins. So Lawrence Welk knows how badly we are treated but, then again, they, I feel, are partners in crime.

2) We believe the system is unfair. We have never been offered a two bedroom exchange for a two bedroom and that's if you even get it.

3) When we do get a unit it is always at the last minute. Though we waited for months. Sure you can say it just came available but come on, everytime.

4) The relationship and method that Interval and L/ Welk exchanges units between them seems suspect. Why is it so complicated?

5) Interval should not be allowed to sell for money days/weeks. It is a conflict of interest. Are they selling deposited weeks rather than making them available for exchanges? Then releasing them only after they don't sell. Who really knows? We have to trust them and if you base that trust on the way they treat you you can imagine how I feel.

6) Does L/Welk give up less valuable weeks to Interval for exchanges than the actual weeks deposited? The "points" system makes it easier to manipulate the availability and thus supply and demand and thus of course profits.

7) I'm told that L/Welk owners get first priority. I'm an owner and my mother in law is an owner. Me at Cabo and her at San Diego. Did we get priority? If that's priority, oh my:(

Words of wisdom:

Don't buy any points from Lawrence Welk Resorts. Reasons why?

1) Just search "Lawrence Welk Complaints" online and you can see we are not alone.

2) Besides paying $20-30,000 for points, you have other fees they forget to mention or gloss over. Their is a nightly resort fee at their Cabo property. If you want to go to a resort outside of Lawrence Welk you have to do an exchange with Interval. With the basic membership, that will cost you $174. Then if you want to give "YOUR" week to a friend, that will cost you another $49. But don't worry Interval will cut that feebin half or totally eliminate it if you pay extra for the higher tier memberships. You shouldn't have to pay for this at all after all, itvis "your" week you should be able to let anyone use it. This is just another made up fee that they will reduce if you pay for a higher priced membership.

3) Just as the ink dries on your contract, Lawrence Welk will come up with a new program which will claim to be better than the previous. You will never win at this game. Their sales department must always have something to sell. Just remember, if the salesman tells you that this new program gives you more advantages than the previous, that means the previous plan will be at a disadvantage. Hint: That will be you in the future.

4) I was told that person's with over 500,000 points get to requests an exchange six months before anyone else. How's that fair? How's that treating all owner's the same? Interval has multiple levels of membership, Lawrence Welk has multiple levels of exchange timeframes.

• Stayed June 2013
Khouse,
First of all, thank you to both yourself and your family for being long time members of the Welk family. I do show that you have had quite a bit of contact with our Owner Services division and that they have always worked diligently to resolve your challenges. It is true that Welk can exchange for a two-bedroom villa through the Interval International exchange program. The opportunity to book an exchange reservation request is based upon villa availability. We will work diligently to assist in the exchange process on your behalf at a resort of your choosing to fit your vacation needs. We do not control availability at another resort within the Interval International exchange program. The terms, conditions, fees and restrictions of the exchange program are set by Interval International. I would be happy to assist you if you have any further questions or concerns.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Ok, my family and I were at the State Fair in Sacramento when we were ask to look into going to tour and recieve free gifts for visiting the resort. I explained to the representative that my husband would be flying to visit his mother during her hip surgery during our family vacation time but that my children and I would be on vacation soon and would enjoy going to see what they had to offer. When I called to set up the visit and make reservations to stay, I was asked was I married, and did I make over 70,000 dollars. I said I was married and we both made over that together. Then the representation said, I would have to bring my husband, and we could come another day, and they would send my deposit back. He asked did the rep. before let me know I had to bring my husband. I told him yes, and I explained the whole situation with him. They still said they would not honor the reservations, the gifts, nor could I make the reservations at the hotel. This to me seems to be so disrespectful, and misleading. I am still a paying customer, and would have liked to know more about the time share so that if my husband and I would like to set a place for vacation, I would let him know where I would like to stay. Unfortunately, I guess we will never know.

Stayed July 2013
Dear Investme,
Thank you for contacting Welk Resorts; we apologize for not living up to your expectations. We do require both husband and wife attend our presentations together and would welcome an opportunity to reschedule your visit when it is convenient for you both. If this is not acceptable I would be happy to refund your Deposit. Please contact me directly at the email address below with your full name and phone number and I will be able to locate you in our system. We look forward to being of assistance.
Kind regards,
Helen Denton
Director of Market Management
Welk Resort Group
Helend@Welkgroup.com
Valencia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Our family stayed for a long weekend and loved it! Our room was newly redone and beautiful. VERY CLEAN! The rooms had a full kitchen w/ all the amenities (dishes, pots/pans, silverware, dish soap, etc.) You can eat in or eat out at their resort restaurant or get pizza from pizza hut on property. We did both and even BBQ'd at one of the many BBQ's located around the property. Our room was close to a pool and rec. center. We explored all FIVE POOLS and rec. centers and each one was awesome! Pool tables, ping pong, fuse ball, air hockey, chess/checker tables, kids playground areas, water play areas, arcade, two water slides, tennis courts, basketball court, volleyball with sand to play in, horseshoes, shuffleboard, a gym (over 18) and tons of activities for the kids. We never left the resort!!

Room Tip: Look on line and see what pool and rec. center you would like to be near. It's nice to be close...
Tina H,
It is great to hear your family enjoyed their visit here at the Welk Resorts. I appreciate you taking the time to post a review and the details provided on the resort activities and features. It sounds like your family really took advantage of all of our resort amenities. Thank you for the highlights and feedback from your stay. We look forward to your return visit.
Signal Mountain, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed at the Welk Resort in Escondido, CA from June 16th-18th, however they failed to follow through with contractual promises outlined in our reservation and provided an unhealthy environment. My son has autism and is non-verbal, so I decided to go to the San Diego Safari Park before checking in to the Resort on June 18th to avoid long lines. Although our reservation contract states check-in was at 4pm, we arrived after 5:30pm to check-in. We got to the room just after 6pm, but they were still cleaning it. We waited outside the room for 20 minutes before housekeeping left. When they did, we started bringing our luggage inside. Soon there after, we got a knock on the door from a representative saying they had to walk through for an inventory check, so we sat aside waiting for him to finish. Items were missing, so he left and came back with stuff for the room. Finally, we were allowed to enter the room. Well, after so many delays, we decided to go out for dinner. When we got back, we decided to go strait to bed so we could go to the zoo when it opened the next day followed by reservations we made months in advance. When I woke up the next morning, June 19th, I went to the kitchen. There were hundreds of ants covering the sink, counter, coffee maker, toaster, stove, side of the fridge, and the dinning room table. It was a complete unhealthy environment. I was disgusted and quickly rushed to kill as many as I could with a hot wet cloth before our autistic son got out of bed. I spent an hour wiping everything down which resulted in our entire day being delayed causing us to miss our reservation. I contacted the front desk immediately about the problem, in which they replied that the problem would be taken care of and pest control would take care of the problem while we were out. However, when we returned, the ants were still on the sink and counters. I called again, very frustrated at this point. I was told they would send someone right over. My husband had to leave with our son while I waited for someone to come over, so my son would not be exposed to the pesticides. It took an hour before the engineer showed up. He saw the ants and proceeded to cover our entire eating area with pesticides and told me that he saw more ants outside, but that it would be the next day, after we check out of the resort, before someone could come out to take care of those. Needless to say, we could not use the kitchen during our stay which was listed under our reservation contract. Furthermore, an extremely loud alarm system went off at 8am and again around 9:30am as a result of a wire being cut during some construction next door. It was so loud that everyone in my family got headaches and my son was screaming from overstimulation. It was a nightmare. We went to check-out at 10am on June 18th. My husband took care of our son who was still in tears, while I went in to speak to the manager, Bryan Espinosa. After explaining everything that happened, Mr. Espinosa said he would contact the third party we booked with, in this case Hotels.com, to "make things right". After failing to contact us, I finally got a call on June 20th from an engineer, Darrin, on how he could help us with out stay. He was completely unaware that we had already checked out and returned to home to Tennessee. After explaining everything to Darrin, he said he would contact Mr. Espinosa to help. After days of failing to get a response, I emailed Mr. Espinosa. He seemed to have forgotten a great deal. Welk Resort staff are now failing to contact my, the Better Business Bureau, Hotels.com, and my credit card company. Do yourself a favor, and stay away!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
TMonks,
I apologize for the challenges you and your family experienced during your stay here at Welk Resort. Our intent is to give each and every guest the best vacation experience possible. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I reviewed your situation with our resort General Manager. I have been made aware that we have reached an agreeable resolution for recompense in reference to this matter. My understanding is that this matter has been resolved. If you feel this matter has not been resolved to your satisfaction, please reach out to me directly. I can be reached at the e-mail address below or you can contact Welk Resort and ask for me personally.
Hutch.farrell@welkgroup.com

Been to Welk Resort San Diego? Share your experiences!