“Worst stay EVER!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Escondido
Signal Mountain, Tennessee
“Worst stay EVER!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed at the Welk Resort in Escondido, CA from June 16th-18th, however they failed to follow through with contractual promises outlined in our reservation and provided an unhealthy environment. My son has autism and is non-verbal, so I decided to go to the San Diego Safari Park before checking in to the Resort on June 18th to avoid long lines. Although our reservation contract states check-in was at 4pm, we arrived after 5:30pm to check-in. We got to the room just after 6pm, but they were still cleaning it. We waited outside the room for 20 minutes before housekeeping left. When they did, we started bringing our luggage inside. Soon there after, we got a knock on the door from a representative saying they had to walk through for an inventory check, so we sat aside waiting for him to finish. Items were missing, so he left and came back with stuff for the room. Finally, we were allowed to enter the room. Well, after so many delays, we decided to go out for dinner. When we got back, we decided to go strait to bed so we could go to the zoo when it opened the next day followed by reservations we made months in advance. When I woke up the next morning, June 19th, I went to the kitchen. There were hundreds of ants covering the sink, counter, coffee maker, toaster, stove, side of the fridge, and the dinning room table. It was a complete unhealthy environment. I was disgusted and quickly rushed to kill as many as I could with a hot wet cloth before our autistic son got out of bed. I spent an hour wiping everything down which resulted in our entire day being delayed causing us to miss our reservation. I contacted the front desk immediately about the problem, in which they replied that the problem would be taken care of and pest control would take care of the problem while we were out. However, when we returned, the ants were still on the sink and counters. I called again, very frustrated at this point. I was told they would send someone right over. My husband had to leave with our son while I waited for someone to come over, so my son would not be exposed to the pesticides. It took an hour before the engineer showed up. He saw the ants and proceeded to cover our entire eating area with pesticides and told me that he saw more ants outside, but that it would be the next day, after we check out of the resort, before someone could come out to take care of those. Needless to say, we could not use the kitchen during our stay which was listed under our reservation contract. Furthermore, an extremely loud alarm system went off at 8am and again around 9:30am as a result of a wire being cut during some construction next door. It was so loud that everyone in my family got headaches and my son was screaming from overstimulation. It was a nightmare. We went to check-out at 10am on June 18th. My husband took care of our son who was still in tears, while I went in to speak to the manager, Bryan Espinosa. After explaining everything that happened, Mr. Espinosa said he would contact the third party we booked with, in this case Hotels.com, to "make things right". After failing to contact us, I finally got a call on June 20th from an engineer, Darrin, on how he could help us with out stay. He was completely unaware that we had already checked out and returned to home to Tennessee. After explaining everything to Darrin, he said he would contact Mr. Espinosa to help. After days of failing to get a response, I emailed Mr. Espinosa. He seemed to have forgotten a great deal. Welk Resort staff are now failing to contact my, the Better Business Bureau, Hotels.com, and my credit card company. Do yourself a favor, and stay away!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
TMonks,
I apologize for the challenges you and your family experienced during your stay here at Welk Resort. Our intent is to give each and every guest the best vacation experience possible. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I reviewed your situation with our resort General Manager. I have been made aware that we have reached an agreeable resolution for recompense in reference to this matter. My understanding is that this matter has been resolved. If you feel this matter has not been resolved to your satisfaction, please reach out to me directly. I can be reached at the e-mail address below or you can contact Welk Resort and ask for me personally.
Hutch.farrell@welkgroup.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
San Bernardino, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My last review was "23 years of fun."While my family and I continue to enjoy time together here, new problems have cropped up. My daughter went on a time share tour several years ago when she was staying here with me in our timeshare. She was supposed to get a trip to Hawaii for attending the presentation and she never got it. She complained to the Better Business Bureau and to the Welk Resort and only got 2 nights at the Welk Resort in Escondido. She invited my husband and I to come with her and her husband.We stayed at the Mountain villas.They were nice-- like a condo.Not nearly as spacious as the duplex villa we own on Harmony Hill.Because the newer rec centers have water slides etc., they are very crowded.At the Mountain Villas, the sales reps are constantly bringing people by where you are trying to relax and trying to sell the overpriced timeshares--$35000.I know from personal experience, if you don't buy one, they act as if you don't exist.

The towels in the room had hair in them.the guy who was supposed to check on the maid came way after we were in the room. There were no chairs by the BBQ and table we used.They said they were being fixed. the computers in the Owners Lounge at the rec center were "being fixed." They seemed to have an excuse for everything.The staff was courteous on the phone but there should not be excuses.Really--they couldn't go to Lowe's and buy some extra outdoor chairs!

I don't think Mr. Welk would be happy with the way the current management handles things.I do enjoy coming here with my family but I have seen things go downhill in the past few years.The $800 plus maintenance fees per year go up every year.Me. Welk was a class act. I hope the resort will honor his na

Room Tip: Choose Broadway,Harmony or Melody Hill Villas
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
First of all, thank you for being a long time owner here at Welk Resorts. I appreciate you taking the time to post a review. I apologize for any challenges you experienced during your most recent stay with us. We are continually working to upgrade our accommodations here at Welk. I am glad to hear you enjoy coming to the resort with your family. We look forward to your next visit.
Merced
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We were apprehensive taking our grandson to a "Lawrence Welk" resort....afraid that there might not be enough to entertain him. Boy were we wrong! We stayed for a week, and skipped a couple of items on our agenda just to spend more time at the resort! There was something for every age group. You could do something all the time, or do as little as you feel like doing. The condo was very nice, the grounds and facilities were very well maintained. The staff was knowledgeable and helpful. All in all very pleasant.
Only negative: Our unit was a little noisy...the walls seemed thin. But it won't keep us from going back next year!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for your delightful review. We are glad to read that you enjoyed your vacation and our resort activities and amenities. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to post a review. We look forward to you (and your grandson) returning to visit us again soon.
Wildomar, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This place has it all! There are 5 areas for swimming, and 2 of them include water slides. The rooms are huge and are nicely appointed. The staff are helpful and friendly. There are a myriad of activities available every day for all age groups. It is also VERY close to much of what So Cal has to offer.

Room Tip: The best rooms are in the Mountain Villas. Try to get as high up on the hill as possible.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful review. It is fantastic to know you had a great vacation here at the Welk Resort. We look forward to your return visit.
Redondo Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We had a great stay at Welk Resort San Diego. We travelled 2 hours - and never left the resort. We normally travel around and see things more in the area- but we needed a relaxing trip and decided to chill out at the resort instead of day trips etc to San Diego (another time!). It was a great place to do this- we could pick a different pool each day if we had wanted too! We chose both the options with the waterslides as my 7 year old and husband insisted. My 4 year old daughter wanted a Jacuzzi so she was pleased too. There were even water squirting parks and playgrounds. (and for travellers without kids- there are 18+ only pools and rec areas too - so fear not). At the pool closest to us they had bbqs (grills) available, with the bbq tools (also supplied in the rooms). Some pool areas did not feature the bbqs within the pool area (as they also sold food) - but they were everywhere around the resort. So you could walk 1 min and find one.

We spent one morning fishing - no catches but we could see there were plenty of fish in the water. And we had fun. You can hire rods for $4 an hour or $10 a day.

We were there for 4th July celebrations. They had a great night celebration with a band and activities for the kids. One was tie dying t-shirts (our kids loved it), hula hoops, teddy bear making, s'more roasting. Unfortunately no fireworks, but they had a big outdoor screen where they played the fireworks on.

We stayed in the Villas on the Green in a one bedroom suite. It was up 2 flights of stairs, but the kids were fine with that. The room was really nice. It was very clean and had everything we needed. There was a Queen sofa bed in the living area for the kids. And we had a great room. We had some minor problems ie.the room was not ready when we came to check in at 4pm, one pool towel was not in the room on check in, and our room keys stopped working one day. The staff went above and beyond to make things work for us. The staff were all very friendly and I saw some visitors verbally abusing one check in staff member- I was surprised how well she remained calm and civil to them - I would never let anyone talk to me like that.

Also the restaurant Canyon Grill within the resort was quite good. I was not expecting much as I had read a review saying otherwise. But my meals 2 nights in a row were fabulous. my husband and I had the chicken wings, ribs, shrimp pasta in white wine sauce, and a tasting plate over the 2 nights. And great Strawberry Daiquiris!

Great simple family fun. But we saw groups of young friends and couples there too.

Room Tip: our room was 3102 in Villas on the Green. 1 bedroom suite, up 2 levels, facing the golf course. Appa...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful review. It is great to see your family enjoyed their vacation here at the Welk Resorts. I appreciate you taking the time to post a review and the highlights and details provided on the resort activities and features. The on-site activity information you included is great. It sounds like your family really took advantage of all of our resort amenities and activities. Thank you for the feedback from your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort again soon.
Saint Charles, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Well equipped room with huge deck and gorgeous view, 3 different pools so you could go with your preferred activity level that day, plenty of walking paths, decent restaurant. The concierge desk was very helpful and there are lots of outside activities within an hour drive. Unfortunately the front desk was very disorganized and a bit rude. We got in 15 minutes before the official check-in of 4pm and were told to come back. We did that (even though worried about our fresh groceries in the rental car) and after standing in line AGAIN, got the room keys but upon arrival, the cleaning staff was still working. Considering the long drive from the nearest airport, we found that amount of disorganization annoying. Don't plan on shopping there - poorly equipped general store and gift shop. It was a short drive to a large grocery store in Escondido - I'd suggest stocking up. There was a great farmer's market which is there on a weekly basis.

Room Tip: Ask for a view and for a top floor, and ask to be far from the very noisy construction going on.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate your taking the time to post a review which gives us the opportunity to thank you for staying with us. I apologize for any challenges you experienced when you checked in. Thank you for the highlights and feedback on our resort. We look forward to your return visit. This may be of assistance to you on your next visit. Welk Resort does offer a service called "Timeshare Groceries". They will do the work for you. When you utilize their service you can simply order your groceries and they will have everything ready and waiting for you when you get here. I have provided a link below.
North County San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Totally relaxing and carefree week! 4 pools to choose from. Water slides and water play areas were great for the kids. Beautiful grounds for golfing or relaxing. We book the older villas as they have a lot more room.

• Stayed July 2013
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. It is fantastic to hear your family had a great vacation here at the Welk Resort. Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort again soon.

Been to Welk Resort San Diego? Share your experiences!