“A quiet, refreshing getaway.” 5 of 5 stars

Welk Resort San Diego
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   8860 Lawrence Welk Drive, Escondido, CA 92026   |
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Escondido
Los Angeles, California
“A quiet, refreshing getaway.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We actually stayed here as owners as our trade-in week and had a great time. The Mountain Villas are new and nicely appointed (we had a fireplace in our bedroom), and the kitchen is fully stocked. We've also, on trips past, stayed in the Villas on the Green which are slightly dated, but still nice. The pool next to the Mountain Villas is my favorite with two hot tubs, and is family friendly. The prices to play golf are reasonable, including renting the golf clubs. The only negative about Welk is that you are a good 20 minutes from the closest grocery store, and 30-40 minutes from decent places to eat out. Plan for your stay by buying your groceries on the way. The little "village" at the bottom of the hill doesn't have much, and what they do have is overpriced.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
I appreciate the feedback and recommendations from your stay with us. It is good to hear that you had a great time on your exchange visit here at the Welk Resort. Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Langley,B.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We were quite impressed with this resort. The room was well appointed and very clean. Service was excellent from check in to Check out. Requests were dealt with promptly and staff very friendly. We loved the multiple pool and recreation areas and took in the theatre and restaurants.
A large enough resort for walks on site, challenging with the hills. We also did a couples massage at the spa.

Room Tip: Suggest a top floor room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our on-site activities and amenities during your stay here at Welk. I appreciate the highlights, feedback and recommendation from your visit with us. We look forward to your return visit.
Escondido, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Before my trip when haywire here, the room and time was great. Very clean and refurnished/modeled rooms which always appeals to me the most. Good service, good rates and very pretty area to be in. Safe, too. Great for a family stay. I recommend to someone wanting a great room with no doubts.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
I appreciate the feedback from your stay with us here at Welk. I am glad you enjoyed this part of your visit. Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a kids paradise. Nice pools with water slides. Plenty of room and pools for people to spread out.
Rooms are nice. I stayed at their smallest unit (1-bedroom) with kitchenette. Bathroom was huge and beds are comfortable.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
It is great to hear that your family enjoyed the on-site features and activities during their stay here at the Welk Resort. Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We look forward to your return visit.
Coquitlam, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We traded some Intrawest points for week in late March. I was admittedly a tad hesitant with the booking expecting a lot of blue hair and accordian music, but came away from the week suitably impressed. Customer service was extraordinary from check in through to departure and our one bedroom suite very clean, comfortable and well appointed. Lots of activities throughout the day for the whole family including golf, ice cream sundae-making, poker night, farmer's market, s'more's night, ping pong tourney etc, etc - all of which were very well run. Special kudo's to Josh for his extra efforts as activities coordinator. We played the executive course twice and quite enjoyed the layout - fairways may have been a tad dodgy in some spots, but greens were fast and consistent. Pool and hot tub amenities were also excellent. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: We stayed in Kings Villas complex on the third floor which was quiet and had a great view of the cou...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am glad to hear your family enjoyed our on-site activities and amenities during your exchange visit here at Welk. I appreciate the highlights, feedback and recommendation from your visit with us. We look forward to your return visit.
Whittier
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is really a hit or miss kind of a place.

Rating Excellent - Let's start off with being called on a weekly basis by different people asking with I would like to come out and "see what is new at the Welk Resort". – Very nice and polite people.

Rating Excellent - Having been there before and having my nephews for the weekend I decided to go ahead and schedule a presentation for the weekend of March 30th. – Helpful in scheduling the date I needed and even more helpful in rescheduling when I found out I needed to work on Sunday and had to reschedule the presentation for earlier.

Rating Terrible - When I arrived it was a zoo, I waited for about 20 minutes to check in, I was then told by the young lady at the front desk that I did not have a reservation. I presented the email sent to me and she told “Oh, you’re one of those, your reservation is handled by the concierge department, you need to go over there”.

Rating Poor – I then walked over to the concierge department and showed them my email. I was told that I need to check-in at the front desk. When I told her that I had actually tried to check in and was told that they did not have my reservation, the lady told me to step to the side next to the bathroom and wait there. Another person came out and apologized and said she would go ahead and check to see what the problem was to have a seat in the lobby and she would be right back. When she returned she said that I need to get back in line (another 20 minute wait) and check-in.

Rating Poor – Second try at checking in. This time my name was found in their list of guest, but then I was told to wait that she needed to go and talk to her manager. No reason was given of why she needed to go and talk to the manager – guess I really don’t have a reservation. She returned and gave me a room.

Rating Excellent/Terrible/Excellent - Finally, I have a room. Drove to the building, no parking, no problem there was parking a little farther down the hill. Opened the door to my room just to startle the elderly lady cleaning my room. She apologized for the room not being cleaned, and told me the room had been left to filthy that it would take her at least another 30 minute to clean the room. I returned to the front desk and told them that the room was dirty and that I had been told it would take another 30 minutes to clean the room. She apologized and said she needed to check with her manager to see what room was clean. I guess that is what the previous person was supposed to have done. I was given another room. Got to the room and this time it was clean.

Poor – It seemed like I can now start a nice weekend stay. Wrong…. All of a sudden someone opens the door to the room. No knock first just opened the door to leave the extra pillows and sheets I asked for. OK, the rest of the evening my nephews and I had fun making dinner and the watching TV. 10:30 PM, loud knock on the door, startled me and woke up my nephews. What/Who could it be? Someone delivering sheets, blankets and pillows. Who knock that hard on a door at 10:30 at night. Really, it took them 5 hours to deliver the extra sheets, blankets and pillows I had asked for. 11 PM neighbors yelling and running around. By this time I was so tired that I did not call the front, maybe they would wait another 5 hours to come and pound on my door to see what was wrong.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WelkResortsTeam, Guest Relations Manager at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Marta, we appreciate your taking the time to post a review and also allowing the opportunity to thank you for staying with us. We apologize that your experience during check in was handled inappropriately and for all the confusion related to your reservation. Your feedback regarding these challenges has been addressed with the appropriate managers. We hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you and your nephews our Welk superior customer service.
pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Traded into this property through II, read some good reviews and read some bad ones also. Don't listen to the negative reviews. We loved everything about this resort. Well not everything...little hard to get around at first as everythinbg is spread out, but once you find your way around no problems. Clean, well appointed, comfortable. Nothing to knock.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
I appreciate the feedback and recommendation from your stay. It is great to hear your family enjoyed their exchange visit with us. Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We hope you visit us again in the future.

Been to Welk Resort San Diego? Share your experiences!