My wife and I exchanged a week at home resort, Massanutten, for a week here in April. Our home resort is an RCI Gold Crown resort so we are used to excellent accomodations. Even by Gold Crown standards the Welk Resort was fantastic. My wife went to have a look at the unit as I was getting baggage from the car. She returned to the porch to inform me that we were "in the lap of luxury"
Our unit was a 2 bedroom, 2 bath with a huge full kitchen and all the usual amenities. One whole wall of the living room was windows with a door to a huge balcony overlooking the golf course and the mountains in the background. The balcony faced west so we were able to enjoy the sunset over the mountains several evenings we were there.
Each bedroom had it's own sliding door to the balcony as well.
The facilities were great. We used all of the pools, one of which is reserved for adults only for those wanting to get away from kids. I have to say though, during the week we were there nothing was crowded at all. We missed the school vacation weeks and some days we had a pool all to ourselves, even those that allowed children.
We saw a couple of shows at the on-site theater. One was a two part show with both a ventriloquist and a magician. The other was a touring company production of Smoky Joe's Cafe. Both were fun and enjoyable.
Side trips included wine country in Temecula, downtown and Old Town San Diego, and a drive down the coast from Carlsbad/Oceanside through La Jolla and around the Mission Bay area.
We found the staff at the resort to be very pleasant and helpful when called upon. Our only negative was the Canyon Grille restaurant on site. We found it to be overpriced for the quality of both food and service that we received.
All in all it was a wonderful vacation. We tend to try new places, so our next few vacations are already booked (Disney World over Thanksgiving, Oregon Coast in 4/08 and Steamboat Springs later in 2008) and we don't return to the same places year after year, but we would definitely return to this resort again.
- Also Known As:
- Welk Resort San Diego Hotel Escondido
- Welk Resort San Diego Hotel
- Lawrence Welk Resort
- Welk Hotel Escondido
- Welk Resort
- Welk Resort Escondido
- Welk Hotel San Diego
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welk Resort San Diego is a Southern California vacation all suite/villa destination Resort and Water Park offering couples and families the ultimate San Diego getaway experience. Just minutes from world famous destinations San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park (20 minutes), LEGOLAND (25 minutes), San Diego Zoo (40 minutes), San Diego Gaslamp District (35 minutes), SeaWorld (40 minutes) Temecula wineries, area casinos, and some of the most beautiful beaches (30 minutes) in the world! Welk Resorts offers luxurious and spacious one and two bedroom villa suites, with panoramic views of golf courses or surrounding mountains. Villas include sitting and dining areas, complete kitchens with full cookware and dishware, patios or balconies, and complimentary high speed Internet access. Parking is complimentary and there are no resort fees. Guests will experience casual dining at Canyon Grille restaurant or Pizza Hut Express, fun in the sun at Five Clubhouses featuring one colossal pool and seven large pools & 8 spas, two water slides, two kids' splash pads and playgrounds, table games, catch and release fishing pond, hourly planned activities for all age groups, lighted tennis courts, and a relaxing round of golf on one of two 18 hole golf courses. The Welk Resort Theatre is home to top-notch talent performing Broadway style musicals and starring in comedy and variety shows, including tribute bands. During the Summer are music festivals at the Welk Amphitheatre on the Greens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Venere, Priceline, EasyToBook, Hotels.com and Fareportal so you can book your Welk Resort San Diego reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.