“Food not that great” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
San Marino
“Food not that great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We went to Hacienda de Vega the day after Thanksgiving. The dining is in a beautiful location with tables around a pool and I was expecting the food to match the environment. I'm not a picky eater, but the food just didn't taste that good. All I wanted was a simple cheese enchilada, beans & rice. There were no special orders, so I settled for the Enchiladas Poblanas two chicken enchiladas in a fresh poblano sauce, cream and cotija cheese served with rice and beans. It was very bland. The chips came with four sauces which I doubt were freshly prepared (probably poured from containers) & no was taking them as the waiter mumbled something about the various sauces & went away. They should have been labeled. I would have preferred (and I'm sure others would) fresh cut up tomatoes, onion, cilantro, etc. The margaritas were not that great and were watered down. A place could have the best environment possible, but if the food is not good it's not worth the money. This place was expensive.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

63% Recommend
San Diego, California, United States
“food and service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Been at this place quite a few times,the manu is boring and the service "HORRIBLE" every time gets worse, we live in town and like to dine with our local places, but no this one ever again.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Grayslake, Illinois
“Good food - great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Went to Hacienda de Vega last night for a casual business dinner and really enjoyed the meal. I was in the mood for a chili relleno, but they didn't have it on the menu. What they did have was "Chle Sonora," which was pretty close and it was very tasty. It consisted of a Poblano chile filled with beans and cheese topped with cream and lots of melted cheese on top. I would definitely order it again if I was back in Escondido, but the "Sabada Invierno" that some of the other folks ordered looked really good.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Escondido CA
“Great Party Venue”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is a popular place, especially locally. We have visited several times before, and had similar experiences. Have to admit that this time we visited on a coupon included in an Adobe Home Tour (this place is an old adobe), although they seemed unaware of the coupon--noticed many other guests with similar experiences.

Strangely, on all occasions we have visited, they ask that you wait outside the building to be seated, but the host is rarely there, so we wandered in and eventually found someone who could find someone to give us a table--strange. I suppose it relates to the weekend times that they are very busy, but why when they aren't? Anyway, this place is all patio seating, with expansive areas if you have a large group (great party venue). We did have an excellent appetizer--shrimp in a butter sauce with spicy peppers and bread to soak up the sauce--very good. They brought us a large basket of ordinary chips, but a selection of nice salsas, from hot to mild. The server seemed distracted (not real busy), drinks took a long time to arrive. All in all, an OK experience. We did not try the menu this Sunday afternoon, not really hungry, but if the appetizer is any indication the full menu might be worth a try. I guess the mediocre experience doesn't encourage us to try again--especially when it requires valet parking.

Visited October 2012
Escondido, California
“Just add Music!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This place has everything from private cabanas to large party tables, a lovely waterfall, and a great bar area. It is primarily all out in the open, But doesmhave some cover. visit the website.

I love this place......it just needs FASTER SERVICE..OMG! Could they be slower? NO, I don't think so. The food is totally yummy, but the service...yikes, it is like taking a siesta between getting your drinks and getting your food ordered. More staff please!!!!

The place has the ambience nailed though - LOVE IT! I take most of my visiting guests here.

Just give me live music, more efficient service and I would be there nightly - okay.....weekly :-))))

Visited March 2012