“A Gem Off Of The Beaten Path” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 295 restaurants in Escondido
Cuisines: American
New Rochelle, New York
“A Gem Off Of The Beaten Path”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Saw reviews for this quaint coffee shop type place. It is off the main strip. Cozy feel. VERY attentive wait staff. While menu is not overwhelming, there was enough to choose from. Prices are very reasonable.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

84% Recommend
Vancouver, Canada
“The All American Diner Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

If you like to have a large nor frills breakfast on arborite and naughahide served by "Flo" who keeps your coffee cup alwasy full, (which I do) for around $10 this is the place for you. Don't know what it's like for lunch.

Visited October 2012
“Tasty and quaint cafe!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

The food is tasty. I especially enjoy the chorizo burger or any of the omlettes. Ingredients are fresh And the food is hot! The service is great. All the waitresses are adorable and kind.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Escondido, California
“New owners-excellent menu-great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

A couple of years ago we walked out of the Westside Cafe due to it's lousy service. Shortly after the restaurant went out of business. A year ago or so a "New Owners" sign went up, but the restaurant never opened. Finally a couple of months ago we saw it was finally open. We were a little leery about trying it again due to the length of time it took the new owners to get it open. Last we we thought "What the heck, if it's still lousy we can always walk out again.
WHAT A SURPRISE. The place was clean and shiny. A great new menu. And the service was excellent. Our food was very good, the server kept checking up on us to make sure everything was OK and that water and coffee was kept filled.
Now we know what took so long to get it opened....they were making sure it was done right and that they had great people staffing the restaurant.
Make sure you give it a try...you won't be disappointed.
Oh yeah, they close at 2PM, so it's breakfast and lunch only....which is OK!!!
They do have a website, but I am not listing it as it isn't updated to show any more than "Coming Soon".

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Escondido, California
“GO for the Bacon!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Needed breakfast desperately on a Saturday morning and Westside is a few blocks from my house and I'd been meaning to give it a try since the new owners took over. Glad I did!

First, when you walk in, they are all super friendly. I was greeted by the manager and also a couple of the servers. They were friendly and the manager seated me right away. It's very clean in there and had an overall warm and inviting atmosphere.

I ordered your standard eggs over easy with sourdough toast, bacon and hash browns. Everything was good, but the bacon was outstanding. They infuse their bacon with maple and thyme. It was so very delicious... I with the hash browns had been as good, unfortunately they were just average. Hash browns should be CRISPY on the outside. But, most restaurants tend to forget this and like at most places these days, the toast wasn't really toasted enough. Why is it that everywhere you go these days the toast is either underdone, burned or a combination of the two. Seriously EVERY breakfast I've had out lately, the toast is just not that nice golden brown toast we once got. I have the theory that they just don't make toasters like they once did, but someone needs to work on this! In fairness, to the Westside, though, neither the toast nor the hash browns were bad, they just were average. The eggs were cooked perfectly, which you might think, yeah, their eggs over easy, what of it? Well, this is the first time out of the last three times I ordered this that the eggs actually came out over easy, so HOORAY! The iced tea was fresh brewed and yummy and kept filled, thank you thank you.

Between the breakfast and the service, and ESPECIALLY the bacon, I'm already a fan and plan to return soon. Love having something close to home that's tasty and friendly. Also, I was told they are rolling out jalapeno infused bacon, so some of you might want to get down and try that!

Price for the breakfast and my tea? $10 and change.

• Visited July 2012