“Delicious and interesting food” 5 of 5 stars

(760)753-9050
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
El Q'ero is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 260 Restaurants in Encinitas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Peruvian, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: D St. / E St.
San Diego, CA
“Delicious and interesting food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

I've only been there for a lunch few times which is a great way to experience Q'ero as not as pricey. The food is so interesting and different with wondeful salads. The empanada's with delightful dipping sauce are to die for and some very nice wines by the glass for good prices. Loved the Calamari appetizer as well. As noted previously it's very small so for lunch you need to get there early- 11:30- or have reservations and best to go on a nice day and sit outside. I think it's only small tables outside probably for two. I thought the service was relaxed but friendly, didn't experience the issues some here have noted but the food, ah the food, is not to be missed.

Visited December 2010

Encinitas, California
“Great Food in Downtown Encinitas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

I met an associate here for lunch, and it was great! I had never tried Peruvian cuisine, and really enjoyed the meal.

• Visited May 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
san diego ca
“Great food; need reservations; better for small parties”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

I think this is one of the best restaurants in Encinitas. I've lived here since 1998 and love good food so I've been to most of the restaurants in the area multiple times. Couple of things to know. It's a very very small restaurant. We've tried to get in without reservations several times and couldn't as they're just not well set up to do that.

Second thing is I have a hard time understanding why waite staff have received negative comments here, as my experience has been very much the opposite. I don't know if it's a question that a diner was demanding and so elicited a negative response, or if it was an employee who was a poor hire and is now gone. I can only say that in multiple dinners here the waite staff was excellent.

The food is pretty different than other restaurants and very artfully prepared. Vegetarians may not like it as much as meatatarians though as meat is a focus in this style of cuisine.

temecula, CA
“Can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

My fiance and I dined here June 29th. We were just driving down PCH looking for something different. This place is Peruvian/ South American Food. It was delicious. Everything had amazing flavor and tasted fresh. He had pulled chicken in aja amarillo sauce and I had a marinated sauteed beet salad with goat cheese and walnuts. The papa rellenos were marvelous too. We shared a bottle of Torrontes and had tres leches cake for dessert. Overall the price was great. Quality "Slow Food" at Denny's price practically. A bottle of wine, apps, entrees and dessert only ran us $64.00. Great deal. The service was good, not intrusive and I love the warm comfortable atmosphere. I did count the tables though, only 14 tables. Probably with a maximum occupancy around 40. Probably safter to make a reservation.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bay Area, CA
“No Q'ero Q'ero”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

Made a reservation - showed up ten minutes early. The entrance is awkward because there isn't a host. Finally told a waiter we had a reservation but he had no record of it. Then came a guy, wearing an apron, who told us the same thing. I assured him we did have a reservation and when it was made. Apparently he didn't believe me, because he didn't apologize and pretty much just sent us packing. The moral of the story is that if you are celebrating a special occasion, look elsewhere because the same thing could happen to you.