“The Inn at Moonlight Beach” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Moonlight Beach

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Encinitas
Inn at Moonlight Beach
You added Inn at Moonlight Beach to your Saves list
105 N. Vulcan Ave, Encinitas, CA 92024   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Encinitas B&B and Inns
Gentry, Arkansas
“The Inn at Moonlight Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Wonderful bed & breakfast close to the beach at Encinitas,California. My sister had given me a bed & breakfast gift certificate. I used the certificate at "The Inn at Moonlight Beach" for my mother & sister's birthday. The "Beach" room was very clean & decorated in a seashell/beach theme. The breakfast meal was excellent with lots of homemade baked goodies & fruit plates. Spinach & cheese quiche. Host and family were very friendly & accomodating. Very helpful in telling us about local places of interest to visit and vegetarian restaurants for my mom to eat at. We were told ahead of time that there would be no air conditioning but delightful sea breezes cooled us even in August.

Room Tip: It cost less to stay 2 nights.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Phoenix,AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I got hooked by reading the reviews and the website. I was expecting to see Ann the former owner. Nothing was mentioned about the Inn changing hands. It was sold about 6 months ago. This isn't that big of a deal. But a bit deceiving. They just recently updated the website. Everything is the same but the owners are different. The owners were out of town when we got there and we were greeted by their son Nima. Nice young man. Vjolica the housekeeper was nice and we liked Helen the cook. We informed Nima our oldest daughter got into town after staying with her aunt most of the summer and we had an extra person. We had the Sunset suite. Enough to sleep 4 people. With the King bed in the main room and the Queen in the other room. The Inn is a bit pricey, especially when they add on the fees for 2 extra people. It is a charming quiet place. And we were aware of the trains. We stayed on a weekend and the trains don't run real late then. They are loud when they go by. But we knew that going in. We slept with the window open as they don't have A/C (we knew that too and it was fine)and our room got more outside noise because it is right over the garage and parking. I will load up some pics so you can see the place. We paid for 4 people and the breakfast should reflect that. They brought the tray to our room. What we got the next day was good, but enough for maybe 3 people. My husband had to go down the last day to get more. The fruit plates are great, the bread pudding was excellent. The croissants with chocolate I did not care for, I like flaky croissants. Hard boiled eggs,mini quiches and muffins (not warm) butter in the fridge with jam,water,canned juice (eww)and yogurt. Starbucks coffee and assorted teas by the coffee maker. This place could be great if they added a jacuzzi outside it would have made it more relaxing. And updated their beds. They were not comfortable to sleep on, but that could just be my preference. The room was clean, except I had a dead spider/bug (it was squashed) on the sheet and I brought it down and they gave me a new one. The rug was stained in the entry way, and although I showered, I would not take a bath. The tub was not very clean. In fact it did back up on my daughter as she was the first to shower. She had to plug it and then drain it after she was done to avoid the other persons germies before her. Gross. We let them know it was not draining and they fixed it. It happens. The sides of the stall could use some caulking. Be careful, the door stopper does not work and the door knob actually made a mark on the wall. This could easily be fixed by buying a plate at home depot so the knob won't mark the door. We let them know and showed them this in action. Nima thanked us. We liked the free use of boogie boards,chairs, umbrellas and beach towels. There is even a shower with warm water to rinse off after a day at the beach. Moonlight beach is close, but we drove and parked on the side street. We just had too much to carry. They have baskets of fruit that is grown at the ranch in Escondido. Beautiful avocados and grapefruit and my daughters loved the pear/apples! My husband and I may come back and stay again in the Penthouse suite, but we felt the Inn is a bit on the pricey side. I would not go back with my teens, they were a bit bored. This was our first stay at a B&B, I wish the new owners the best!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
East Brunswick, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife and I spent 2 nights last week in the Penthouse Suite. Good location, a short walk to the beach, and a nice town. The train didn't bother us at all, as it has with some other reviewers. The place was very clean, and our room was great. We loved the hot tub on the balcony! My only gripe was the breakfast. I very much look forward to breakfasts when staying at a B&B. The food was good, and certainly tasted fresh. But when I think of a B&B, I think of a warm, sumptuous breakfast, e.g. waffles, french toast, pancakes, etc. This place had a fresh fruit plate, followed by muffins, croissants, little quiches, and hard-boiled eggs. It was a wonderful place to stay, but the breakfast to me was a big disappointment,

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexandria VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The accommodations were cozy and kept VERY clean every day. Three of us stayed in the Sea Breeze room for a total of 4 nights. The train did pass close by during the day and night, but it was not disturbing. We actually thought we might miss it after we returned home. The breakfasts were very good and included an artfully presented fruit plate, various baked goods, quiche, hard-cooked eggs and of course yogurt and granola. We needed an early breakfast on Sunday so we could get on the road to Joshua Tree National Park and Mitra and Helen, were very accommodating. We were celebrating our anniversary on this trip and Helen even went to the trouble of making us a lovely cheesecake. Parking is an issue. Yes, there are spaces for one car per guest room, however, these are not easily negotiable, and if you are the last one into the Inn, it becomes a challenge! Communication from the Inn "elves" was frequent especially during the time leading up to our arrival, with lots of good recommendations for restaurants and places to visit. WiFi is free, but only seems to be available in certain parts of the Inn, which did not include our room. We just moved outdoors or to the dining area and were able to access the internet at will. The location of the Inn makes it an excellent choice. The town is a combination of old-style and new beach areas, with something for just about anyone. It's proximity to other interesting areas and short trip to San Diego is also very convenient. The only glitch was in the final accounting. We had a question about the invoice balance and, despite three attempts to have it explained, there has been no response. We will continue to pursue the issue. We tend to stay in Bed and Breakfast establishments whenever possible, both in the United States and abroad and have a considerable level of experience. Overall, a very nice stay at the Inn at Moonlight Beach.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Earlier this year, we traveled to Encinitas to visit with family. Prior to our trip, we researched bed and breakfasts in the area and decided to stay at the Inn at Moonlight Beach. After making our reservation, but before arriving, we received regular communication from the Inn, which was very helpful in our trip planning.

Upon our arrival, we were greeted and shown to our room, the Beach room. This room is very comfortable with a queen sized bed and a smaller daybed. After spending time with family, it was nice to return to the peaceful and quiet Inn.

Breakfast consisted of fresh fruit, homemade breads or muffins, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, and your choice of tea, coffee, or juice. On some days, we were able to have a nice chat with some of the other guests during breakfast. As this was a type of continental style breakfast, it would have been nice had it been available before 8 am, as we had places to go and family to see.

One day, during our stay, we took the Coaster to downtown San Diego. The train station is 1/4 mile from the Inn, which was easy walking distance. Yes, trains do run regularly through the area, both during daylight hours as well as night-time hours. Some, not all, trains blow their whistles. While we could hear the trains and the whistles, it did not seem to be a problem.

The outside area of the Inn has a very nice courtyard to enjoy. Please be aware that parking is extremely limited, but every guest has access to a parking space.

The current owners of the Inn have provided many restaurant recommendations and are usually available, especially during breakfast time, to provide any additional assistance. Without a doubt, our next trip to Encinitas, would include a stay at the Inn at Moonlight Beach.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

The location of the Inn is just perfect, within walking distance to a very nice beach, stores and restaurants. The rooms are adorable, and feel very cozy, much like staying with your favorite Auntie.
The train is not loud enough to bother us, we slept very well. The owners were away the weekend we stayed, which may be why the breakfast was such a disappointment. The fresh fruit plate was lovely, however, the muffins, quiche and pastries were not fresh, or even warm. The person working at the Inn in the owner's absence actually told us she made the breakfast that morning! I hope the owners will be more careful on who they hire to socialize with the guests, and do the baking. We may return in the future, as this seems to be a staffing issue.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed in the seabreeze room. The bed was terrible; not only was it super soft, it had a gigantic lump in the middle. I could have slept through the train and the heat (fans only), but the bed was ridiculous. PLEASE do your customers a favor and replace that old used up mattress. No one wants to pay money for that. Also, management has changed--Ann and Terry are no longer there. PLEASE change your website, as this is hugely deceptive. At least write that management has changed. Fresh fruit at breakfast was fine; there were no fresh baked goods, only things that seemed to come from Costco. The room was clean and the double shower head was nice. Could not use the hammock as there was water pooled on it. Location was good for walking to downtown Encinitas, where there are lots of good places to eat for breakfast if you want to skip the inn's breakfast.

Room Tip: Don't pick the seabreeze room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Encinitas
BEST WESTERN Encinitas Inn & Suites at Moonlight Beach
#2 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
4.0 of 5 stars 40 reviews
Days Inn Encinitas Moonlight Beach near Legoland
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - ...
#1 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
4.0 of 5 stars 181 reviews
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort

Been to Inn at Moonlight Beach? Share your experiences!