“Small and older but clean” 3 of 5 stars

Leucadia Beach Inn
2.5 of 5 Inn   |   1322 N Coast Hwy 101, Encinitas, CA 92024   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Encinitas B&B and Inns
Tecate
“Small and older but clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

For the price I expected a little more..... The room was small, clean but cheaply furnished. The beds were just OK. The staff was very accomodating (he went out to buy us ice because the Inn doesn't have an ice machine). It was difficult to connect with the wifi when we stayed there and we were told that they were going to change the connection.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Rosarito, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

I started staying here regularly while in the area for work. The management was very helpful in setting up a standing reservation for me. I found everyone working here to be pleasant and flexible. Having the kitchenette and little table with chairs is a great amenity for me and worth sacrificing some of the things found at bigger chain hotels. (Bring your own hair dryer and bath products.) I had plenty of dishes and pots to cook dinner, and the rooms come with a coffee maker (coffee provided). There is a soda machine on the premises. I had ice cream in the freezer for several days, and it was nice and cold (I'm always skeptical about those small fridges). Good cable selection and free wifi are a nice touch. I've seen several of the rooms here, and they were all spotless (and non-smoking). When the maid came to clean my room and I wasn't ready to leave yet, she happily obliged me by coming back later. The rooms all appeared to have air conditioners, although in the winter, heat would be a nice bonus--it's chilly by the ocean. Excellent storage in each room, so you don't have to have your luggage and clothing taking up your space. The exterior is charming and well maintained and fits in the neighborhood. There are a lot of mom and pop ethnic restaurants, shops, and coffee places in this area along the 101, as well as a surf shop on just about every block (good place to bring your bike to explore). Very little traffic on the 101 late at night, and the only noise I heard was the occasional train going by. Great value if you like something a little different and in an area with some character. I read the reviews here, and it was my experience that they have worked hard to correct the complaints registered in the older reviews.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side get morning sun, but there are areas to sit outside for everyone. The websit...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Okay, had read the reviews and knew this would be a unique stay, which is exactly what it was. Hotel is very reasonably priced and for those traveling on a budget perfect in that way. Very old little inn from the early days of coastal auto travel. I had expected small but was a bit taken back upon arrival. Hotel only has a dozen rooms or so in a very quaint small courtyard, imagine if sold out parking can be quite a challenge. Everything was immaculate inside and outside, it's clear the owners take great care in this small property from keeping the rooms clean to keeping the parking lot clean. The lot by the way features some very nice small fountains always running giving a nice sound to the lot. The room, well it was clean but a bit cold. Very cold tile floor on this evening in December, very small bathroom. Not sure if the kitchenette sink wouldn't of been better off as a bathroom sink to use, since the one in the bathroom was so tight to use. The TV in the room was unbelievably tiny with a huge remote (see pics), never have i seen a case where the remote literally was nearly as big as the tv, and with poor reception. I know, i know not travelling to watch tv, but certain expectations exist. Again, i remind myself that it's a clean hotel, quaintly decorated, each room individualized, and good bargain pricing. But, then we come to the bed. Why not a nice thicker comforter, the one on the bed was flat, thin and not very inviting to lay one. Bed is not all that cofortable being very stiff. And the piece de resitance, two very very very thin pillows, with no extras. Was very difficult to sleep on these paper think pillows and uncomfortable bed. Would suggest bringing your own pillows when staying here. I don't really understand something as simple and basic as the pillows not being upgraded. So, there ya go, a mixed bag of tricks and if you don't plan on being in the room much or are a young couple ready to have fun this may be perfect. As i said it is very cute and clean and reasonably priced, but small, and uncomfortable with few amenities, other than the kitchenette. Choice is yours.

Room Tip: on line you can pick your own room on their website
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Leucadia, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

We lived in Leucadia and were familiar with the Beach Inn's attractive exterior, cute courtyard and convenient location. Leucadia is known for being a pretty funky neighborhood, 'mixed', if you will, and this is definitely the most attractive hotel north of Encinitas Boulevard, not to mention Leucadia Boulevard.

We had no issue with the check-in service, they gave us an excellent room, upstairs in the newer building. The older part is a refurbished motor court from the old days of Highway 101. Our room was very large and clean, and attractively decorated. It even had a kitchenette! Having lived right across the street we weren't concerned about the train noise; I can't comment on it because I don't even notice it!
It is close enough to walk to the excellent Karina's taco shop, Leucadia Donuts in the other direction, and Just Peachy market, in addition to other charming restaurants and surfy shops along Highway 101. An upscale Mexican restaurant and bakery are going in right down the block as we speak. Beach access is at Beacon's, up the hill and a couple blocks south. It's a little further if you'd rather go north to Grandview, which has a sturdy stairway by which to navigate the steep cliff down to the beach.
Stay here and enjoy the atmosphere of Leucadia. Sidewalk watching is quite rewarding here, with surfers, skaters, masses of road cyclists, dog strollers, baby walkers, and others enjoying the mellow weather. Just thinking about the place makes me smile.

Room Tip: Ask if you want a room with kitchenette or fridge!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

We checked in and he was cordial, but not very friendly. Didn't think much of it. The Motel itself is okay for the price and location and the rooms are clean. The bed was not that confortable, matress was a bit worn. .

My boyfriend and I stayed here from Sunday until Tuesday and on Monday morning I had to leave the hotel to run some errands. I accidentally took both hotel room keys with me and when my boyfriend went to the front desk to borrow another key so he could go get some breakfast, the guy was very rude and told him he could not have another key.

Who doesn't give a paying patron another key? When my boyfriend tried to argue with the clerk, he threatened to call the police and kick us out of the Motel. .

There was also old food in our refer when we got there and upon checkout he refused to give me a final receipt.

When you check in you have to sign all kinds of discalaimers and when you have questions, he just shoves the paperwork thru the little cubby hole in the wall.

Would not recommend for long stays or if you expect a little extra customer service. We will not be staying here again. Ended up leaving north county and heading to shelter island Best Western which was only 20.00 more and they treated us like paying guests. It was a full service resort and we ended up having a great time.

Room Tip: He told us that #5 was the second most desireable room in the hotel, He was very proud of this fact.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

We stayed here overnight since our timeshare wasn't yet ready. We came in very late but it wasn't a problem. Just rang the doorbell of the "front desk" and the proprietor came down, we provided ID/CC and he handed us our keys.
It was almost midnight when we arrived so we couldn't really admire or appreciate the amenities. Room was at the corner. It was very quaint inside, 2 beds, clean, bathroom was clean. Towels are a bit thin but we don't really care. The place was clean and comfortable -that's all that matters to us. There was a small fridge, microwave and range (didn't have time to use). Round dining table and couple chairs. Fridge/freezer was perfect.
Slept fine. didn't hear a thing, even though the hotel is close to the train tracks. The tracks were in front of the hotel. We were in the back corner.
Our girls (< 5 yrs old) were comfortable.
Next day, we took pictures of the courtyard. It's a really cute place. Bouganvillia, containers with flowers, bench. Cute.
and we got a steal thru another website so it was a good experience overall.
We'd go back again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Room was very clean. Old, small motel. About 2 miles from the main part of Encinitas.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Leucadia Beach Inn? Share your experiences!