“Bitter After-Taste” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Encinitas
Brooklyn
“Bitter After-Taste”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

We had booked for a number of days in advance but it was not quite clear if we would be able to stay for the entire period at the Econolodge in Encinitas, CA. When checking in we were told that in case we wanted to cancel early we should let them know on the previous day.

A few days into our stay the situation indeed arose that we had to leave prematurely. We told management of our changed plans at about 6 pm. Surprisingly, management now informed us that we should have cancelled by 4pm and that we had to pay for the next night.

Our complaint is directed toward the fact that the stipulation “cancelling by 4 pm” was never conveyed to us at check in.

We had to pay the extra day. This left a bitter taste, and we will not come back to this motel.

Walter Elyon

• Liked — Closeness to beach
  • Disliked — Management
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

Worst hotel I've ever stayed in. I travel a lot with my 2 dogs. This is a “pet friendly“ hotel, although the personnel clearly do not feel that way. I was charged extra for my pets when I had already paid the correct amount. The total cost was not worth the condition of the room. It is also a non-smoking hotel but my room smelled like a bar. There was still some beer and trash left in the fridge from the previous guest. I was treated poorly and embarrassed in front of other guests for having dogs and for complaining about the smell of the room. When I asked to leave a comment for the owner I was refused. Horrible customer service, not worth the price!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The customer service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
SANTA ROSA CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2007

I gave this hotel a high rating, being an "economy" motel. The rooms have recently been remodeled and were very nice, especially the beds. Also, the pool was warm and clean. Great location too, just a delightful one block walk to the a beach, mostly used by the locals.

Stayed June 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2004

This hotel is a treasure. My girlfriend and I have stayed at the hotel on three different occassions. Each time we have been treated with the utmost respect. You had a sense that the proprietors valued our patronage.

Book in advance for the best rate. Check any magazines for coupons for the Econlodge family of hotels. We found a coupon in a general California hotel review magazine. Rates were very economical - considering the amount of attractions and proximity to the beach. They do have a pool - although we did not enjoy it while we were there.

The hotel is close to shopping and restaurants (all really within walking distance if you are not a lazy person). Check out Lou's Records - good bargains for music cds. Potato Shack and Captains Keno's are two places that have good breakfasts. I recommend Potato Shack for quantity for a low price and then Captain Keno's if you are looking for a budget breakfast.

Back to the Econolodge. There was a gentleman that helped us twice on three of our visits. He's no longer there - but the owner was just as pleasant on our third visit to the hotel.

Check it out. Email me an tell me what you think.

Safe travel to all and remember to enjoy this beautiful world of ours.

Been to Econo Lodge Encinitas? Share your experiences!