“Thanks for a great surf camp :D” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Activities: Surfing
More attraction details
Owner description: At Moonlight Beach. Going on 14 years in operation. All equipment, softboard and wetsuit, included. Year-around beginner surf lessons and summer surf camps. Our city permit location is at Moonlight Beach in Encinitas, California. We are a fully insured and permitted surf school.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
North Hollywood
7 attraction reviews
“Thanks for a great surf camp :D”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Back once again, my daughter had such a wonderful day camp last year, we ended up signing her up for a 4 day surf camp along with her friend. They had a fabulous time. The staff is so attentive and helpful. She also enjoyed meeting new friends there which included 2 families from France. Whom she is facebooking. fabulous ! By day 2 she was standing and catching a few waves, some all the way, some with a tumble. But thank you again to you for a great time for the girls and she'll be back.

Visited August 2013
Gerry7753, Owner at Leucadia Surf School, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
I am so glad you are still thinking about what a great time your daughter and her friend had at surf camp this past summer. When unsolicited reviews suddenly appear like this one, it really makes my day, and makes it a lot easier to run the camp, knowing we are doing it right! So glad it worked out well for you, and thanks again for writing us a review.

Carlsbad, California
“Great off-season experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My wife and I just had a "group" lesson -- it was just the two of us, and the owner/lead instructor Gerry gave us a great time. He said his motto is "good equipment, good instructors, good surf", and he definitely delivered. Besides being a lifelong surfer and a good businessman, he was also a excellent teacher. Also worth noting: we called on short notice during the off-season, and LSS was the only place that called us back. Happy to get great service, a great lesson, and a really fun time. Would recommend in a second. Thanks a lot!

Visited September 2013
Carlsbad
“Group Surf Lessons”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I booked a group lesson for my family and some friends visiting from out of town. Gerry and his crew made this really easy for us, they provided the wetsuits & boards. We had a great time and we all got up on the surfboards! Gerry gave us a lot of good advice, from choosing a good wetsuit and surfboard to safety in the water. I can't wait to get out and try it again!

Carlsbad, California
“Highly recommend this surf school!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Leucadia Surf camp was exactly what I expected -- friendly, laid back, surfer dudes/girls. They spend a lot of quality time with each student. A couple of weeks after the camp, we called the owner, Gerry, with questions and issues my son was having surfing. Gerry spent a lot of time giving suggestions and ideas on how to overcome the problems. His advice was right on and now my son LOVES surfing. I highly recommend this school if you want to learn how to surf. Rebecca O.

Visited June 2013
Tucson
9 attraction reviews
“Not what I expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I felt that it was difficult to schedule with them, and they treated me in an unprofessional and rude manner. I was dissapointed.

Visited August 2013
joeponto, Owner at Leucadia Surf School, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
This woman never took a lesson with us. She signed up and we confirmed her with our standard email. She then emailed back, "What kind of board and wetsuit do you provide." I emailed back that we would put her on a 10 foot board and a fullsuit. She emailed back that she wanted a 9 foot board and spring suit. I then called her, and explained to her that a longer board, given her height and weight, (which we collect in the submission form, so that we can have the right equipment for them), would be easier to stand up and that she would do a lot better. She told me that she wanted a 9 foot board and a spring suit, because she could not stand up in a fullsuit, it was too restrictive. I explained to her that we use full suits to protect customers from jelly fish and scrapes, but that we would give her a spring suit if she wanted. I also told her that regardless of the wetsuit, she would be able to stand up on a 10 foot board no problem. I told her that I had instructed for 13 years, and surfed for 50 years, and let us be the instructors, we know what we are doing, we have been in business for 11 years. She then said, "I can see this going to be a f-ing problem. I am going to write you a bad review." Talk about rude and unprofessional! At that point, believe me, I was nothing but "please and thank you" with all our future emails, and there were several, too many for one customer. Another issue is that she insisted on paying cash, and not paying by credit card on our paypal page. City regulations forbid us from taking cash at the beach in the summer between Memorial Day and Labor Day, so we have everyone pay by credit card on our paypal page. I told her it was our regulation, but she still insisted on paying cash. This was another big issue. She had not paid by 9pm the night before the lesson the next morning, so I sent an email saying that we were assuming she was cancelling since she had not paid. In the email I stated that she could still by 9am the next day.. I received an email in the morning, the time on the email was 6:30. It said, "You are cancelling me on the day of. I am going to write a bad review." Basically, she insisted that we violate our regulations about not accepting cash at the beach. No way were we ever rude or unprofessional. This woman wanted to use a shorter board and than we thought was the correct board for her, and she insisted on paying cash even if we required payment in advance via credit card, as is our regulation. I pity anyone who gets this woman for a customer. She is absolutely the rudest and most difficult customer we have ever had in 11 years in operation. It is too bad that there are not reviews for customers. People like her should not be allowed to write reviews.