“Chicken tortilla soup is heaven!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #55 of 255 Restaurants in Encinitas
Cuisines: Mexican
Gilbert, Arizona
“Chicken tortilla soup is heaven!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We visit la especial Norte at least once a month. We LOVE the tortilla soup and get it every time. We also enjoy the margaritas & cheese crisp but the soup is what we crave. A large bowl will stuff you with enough leftover for lunch. It's an incredible value- super cheap! Even with drinks our bill for 2 is never over $30. The atmosphere is fun & loud. In 5 years we've left happy every time.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Chula Vista, California
“Best Tortilla Soup Ever!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The food here is delish and being of a Mexican background I often find it hard to reccommend Mexican restaurants. When most of my meals are Mexican food, because that is what I was taught growing up, I tend to be critical of how things are made. I really love their tortilla soup! I live about 40 minutes away and make the trip up to get it. On this particular trip I had the hubby and 3 kids ( 2, 4, &7). I had the tortilla soup , the hubby had a ham and cheese torta, the kids split two kids plates. The food was great! The kids platters were on the large side. My three could have shared one platter the bean and cheese burritos were big. I actually held some back form my big eater, the 7 year old. The restaurant is festive and family friendly. The kids were given crayons and coloring sheets. To end our visit wer had the buñuelos, crispy fried flour tortilla like chips but very thin covered in cinnamon and syrup and flan a custard like dessert. The flan was delish myhubby had to fight for some. The buñuelos were ok, I didn't care for the pancake syrup, I am used to having them with sugar and cinnamon, not syrup. Overall it was a great visit. The staff are all friendly. Worth a visit if you are driving by the coast in Northern San Diego.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Temecula, California
“Delicious mexican food!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Great food. In expensive, cozy and great service. Walking distance from our hotel. The garlic butter shrimp was so yummy!! Didn't count the calories that visit..just splurged:)

Visited September 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
“Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Someone recommended this place and it was absolutely the worst! Brown and beige food with no flavor. We ordered the Mexican Parillada to share ($26 for two). What came out was a tray of chopped up meat, warm and NOT sizzling as they told us it would be. The tray had pork, beef, chicken and one deep fried green chili and 1/4 cup of pico de gallo. The best part was the fried chili.

The dish came with rice and beans, but no flavor.

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Orinda, California
“kid-friendly, good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

friendly staff, good selection and reasonable prices. kids liked their meals and we enjoyed ours also. only down side was that the mole sauce didn't agree with hubby's digestive system or we would have rated it 4 stars.

Visited July 2012