“GEM” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moonlight Beach Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Encinitas
Moonlight Beach Motel
You added Moonlight Beach Motel to your Saves list
233 2nd Street, Encinitas, CA 92024   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Encinitas
Las Vegas, Nevada
“GEM”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This hotel was a great find. Location Location Location!!!! Minutes from the beach. Had view of the ocean from our room. The rooms are HUGE compared to regular hotel rooms. Mini-stove and refrigerator and quiet. Slept with the door open for an ocean breeze. Owners very accommodating - no problems with checking in/out. Rooms are a little dated but are very clean and you are there for the beach and surfing. No coffee pot in the room but we always bring our own when traveling. What was really great is that it is PET FREE!!!!! Close to shops/restaurants/bar.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
LVRoadWarrior,

"Location Location Location!!!! " and guests like you that find us and appreciate what the MBM is about make the Moonlight Beach Motel what is is today ... we are just the keeper of the keys of the magic lamp, and not the owners ... but thank you for you kind words ... we look forward to your return ...

cheers ... geo & deb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Ramona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

After reading all the reviews on the motel my wife and I booked a room for a Saturday. As all the reviews stated it's not ellegant and it is dated but we would love to stay again. It's location is fantastic, we walked everywhere we wanted to go, the beach, shopping and resurants. The room was super clean, just make sure you like a firm bed ( I don't ) and book rooms from 205 and up on the second floor or the third floor to get the best ocean views.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Tmoss1,
I'm glad you found us on TripAdvisor.com. TA has been very helpful giving guests information and description's of what the motel is like and what to expect. Yes if you are a seasoned business traveler and expect those kinds of amenities of big chain hotels you may not be happy here, but it seems our guests like the "beach" motel experience that the motel provides ... Thank you for saying "The room was super clean" that means more to us than anything ... It is an older, as you said "dated" motel and being three blocks from the beach it is not always easy to do ... The ocean is very hard on properties ...
cheers geo & deb
Lakeside, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Meant to write this a while ago, but regardless I know the managers will continue to be such a help to anyone visiting their vintage hotel. Second floor view of the beach. My getaway from East county San Diego was perfect. A bottle of wine on the patio in the evening......nice. Very quiet and clean. Easy walks to the beach and into town.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with a view of the beach
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Albert S
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay at the MBM ... I must say your "vintage hotel" description kind of says it all. Yes The Moonlight Beach Motel is classic and vintage in so many ways and like a vintage car there is always something that needs to be polished or fixed ... We look forward to your return ...
cheers geo & deb
Lexington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Once again the owners of this cute hotel provided a great experience. They did everything they could to make sure we were accommodated even though I messed up our check in/check out dates. It's always clean, quiet and very relaxing here. So close to so much but it feels very peaceful here.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the beach ask for a 2nd or 3rd story room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
theblueroan ... returns ...
This was our first 2nd year review on Trip Advisor, so thank you for returning & reviewing us again ... Don't be upset, but the skim board is not going to the shower stock, but being made into a coffee table for the apt. Yes, opps on your arrival and and departure dates ... We always like when guests confirm dates one to two weeks before in the summer because we want all to be happy ... & it's hard to fix or change last min in July and August ... see you next year ... cheers geo & deb
Murrieta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I have been staying at Moonlight Beach Motel for the last 20 years. This motel has been in its current location since the mid 70's and offers breathtaking views of Moonlight Beach. We love it hear because you can basically park your car and never get back in until you are ready to leave. Top floor have view of ocean, #308 is the best. Great for couples or family. All rooms have kitchenette, dishes, pots and refrigerator. No air condition needed, you can open the front door and the sliding glass door and have instant air, natural air. A must stay, plan early.

Room Tip: Top floor is best.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Julie D
Thank you for your continued support !
And YES ! You hit all of our favorite places !
Loftybean / Leucadia Pizzeria & Italian / El Callejon !
We look forward to your return visit ...
Cheers, geo & deb
Deerfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed there for eight nights last Nov and I hated to leave. Very friendly and cool people who are there when you need them and know how to give you space to relax. The place has a really good feeling.They're good at what they do! I'm going to stay there again if I can get back to San Diego again this Nov.
I thought I had left my large "white beach" towel in my room after I checked out and asked George if it had been turned in to the office. George went through many sacks of laundry trying to find it among their hundreds of (unwashed) "white" towels and couldn't find it. It was way above and beyond ...........I found it at the bottom of my suitcase when I got home. Sorry George.......I owe you one...Scott

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
coyoteguy45,

"Sorry George.......I owe you one...Scott"
Sounds more like "TWO" to me :^)
Thanks for the kind words ...
We look forward to your return ...
November reservations open 09-01-2013
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This has been our second summer staying at the Moonlight Beach Motel for a beach vacation. Our family of 4 (two little boys, ages 5 & 7) plan on staying for many more summers in the future! The registration process and check in is personable and friendly, the property is well maintained and clean, and the hotel fits our needs perfectly. I'm giving it a 4.51 stars (which i'll round up to a 5 for the rating)

On a four or five day vacation, we spend three of those days just going to the beach and the other two visiting attractions like Sea World, Legoland, or Safari Park. I can not say how amazing it is to be able to bring groceries, cook breakfast in our room and then pack lunches in the cooler to take to the beach. The great thing about Moonlight Beach is that there are no stairs down. So we can easily load up the rolly cooler with chairs and umbrellas and boogie boards and walk three blocks and right onto the sand. And on the way back, we can hose off our boards and the sandy kids in the outside shower and then go right into the rooms (also feeling secure to leave our stuff on the front porch of our room to drip dry).

The only reason had to go below a full 5 stars is that the property is on the older side and while the rooms are very clean and in good repair, the age and style of the furniture is a bit basic. (but I am also fully aware that this basic style is also keeping the motel in the price range that lets us stay 5 days instead of 2 at a chic little beachside resort). The maid service was very attentive--and while they won't wash your breakfast dishes in the sink when you leave in a hurry, they did alway have fresh towels and make the beds with my boys stuffed animals in cute little tableaus. But if there were new bedspreads and more luxe appointments, i'd probably never leave.

While the buildings don't get a 5 star, the customer service surely gets that and more. One thing that we really like about the north county beaches is that they are less of a party spot and more of a 'i could see myself living here' family type of beach. Going with the family we want to feel safe and secure--and not to be kept up at night with noisy neighbors or bar noise at 2 a.m. I know that the managers are keeping the place from stepping over the line: parking is very closely monitored (we left our parking permit off the dash on morning and he called our cell phone to make sure that that was our car as I had registered the wrong license number for the permit), and extra guests are also monitored to make sure that one room rented doesn't turn into a party for 20. And when it was discovered that I left a sentimental item in our room (it was just an old sun hat, but one I got on my honeymoon), George offered to mail it back to me (and without the crazy price of having FedX come and box it up).

We're fans and are already planning on our visit next year!

Room Tip: HIgher rooms have the best view, though families with young children are booked safely on the first...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear Lorie A
Thank you for taking the time to review the MBM ! and we are so glad your second year was a success ! Your description helps people know what to expect so there are no surprises ... And yes ... I am known as the "mean" manager that asks guests to be quiet during quiet hours of 9:00 PM to 9:00 AM. We look forward to your return visit next year and years to come ...
cheers ... geo & deb

Been to Moonlight Beach Motel? Share your experiences!