“All the good comments are true!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Moonlight Beach Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Encinitas
Moonlight Beach Motel
You added Moonlight Beach Motel to your Saves list
233 2nd Street, Encinitas, CA 92024   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Encinitas
Deerfield, Massachusetts
“All the good comments are true!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed there for eight nights last Nov and I hated to leave. Very friendly and cool people who are there when you need them and know how to give you space to relax. The place has a really good feeling.They're good at what they do! I'm going to stay there again if I can get back to San Diego again this Nov.
I thought I had left my large "white beach" towel in my room after I checked out and asked George if it had been turned in to the office. George went through many sacks of laundry trying to find it among their hundreds of (unwashed) "white" towels and couldn't find it. It was way above and beyond ...........I found it at the bottom of my suitcase when I got home. Sorry George.......I owe you one...Scott

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
coyoteguy45,

"Sorry George.......I owe you one...Scott"
Sounds more like "TWO" to me :^)
Thanks for the kind words ...
We look forward to your return ...
November reservations open 09-01-2013
cheers ... geo & deb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This has been our second summer staying at the Moonlight Beach Motel for a beach vacation. Our family of 4 (two little boys, ages 5 & 7) plan on staying for many more summers in the future! The registration process and check in is personable and friendly, the property is well maintained and clean, and the hotel fits our needs perfectly. I'm giving it a 4.51 stars (which i'll round up to a 5 for the rating)

On a four or five day vacation, we spend three of those days just going to the beach and the other two visiting attractions like Sea World, Legoland, or Safari Park. I can not say how amazing it is to be able to bring groceries, cook breakfast in our room and then pack lunches in the cooler to take to the beach. The great thing about Moonlight Beach is that there are no stairs down. So we can easily load up the rolly cooler with chairs and umbrellas and boogie boards and walk three blocks and right onto the sand. And on the way back, we can hose off our boards and the sandy kids in the outside shower and then go right into the rooms (also feeling secure to leave our stuff on the front porch of our room to drip dry).

The only reason had to go below a full 5 stars is that the property is on the older side and while the rooms are very clean and in good repair, the age and style of the furniture is a bit basic. (but I am also fully aware that this basic style is also keeping the motel in the price range that lets us stay 5 days instead of 2 at a chic little beachside resort). The maid service was very attentive--and while they won't wash your breakfast dishes in the sink when you leave in a hurry, they did alway have fresh towels and make the beds with my boys stuffed animals in cute little tableaus. But if there were new bedspreads and more luxe appointments, i'd probably never leave.

While the buildings don't get a 5 star, the customer service surely gets that and more. One thing that we really like about the north county beaches is that they are less of a party spot and more of a 'i could see myself living here' family type of beach. Going with the family we want to feel safe and secure--and not to be kept up at night with noisy neighbors or bar noise at 2 a.m. I know that the managers are keeping the place from stepping over the line: parking is very closely monitored (we left our parking permit off the dash on morning and he called our cell phone to make sure that that was our car as I had registered the wrong license number for the permit), and extra guests are also monitored to make sure that one room rented doesn't turn into a party for 20. And when it was discovered that I left a sentimental item in our room (it was just an old sun hat, but one I got on my honeymoon), George offered to mail it back to me (and without the crazy price of having FedX come and box it up).

We're fans and are already planning on our visit next year!

Room Tip: HIgher rooms have the best view, though families with young children are booked safely on the first...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear Lorie A
Thank you for taking the time to review the MBM ! and we are so glad your second year was a success ! Your description helps people know what to expect so there are no surprises ... And yes ... I am known as the "mean" manager that asks guests to be quiet during quiet hours of 9:00 PM to 9:00 AM. We look forward to your return visit next year and years to come ...
cheers ... geo & deb
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I'll admit, I usually only stay at hotels that I can book online. But really, it was just a phone call and DEFINITELY worth it. If you are in Encinitas to go to the beach and visit SoCal attractions, then this is the best place to stay!
Last trip we thought we'd save a few bucks by staying farther from the coast. But it was a pain to be farther from "home" with a child, and we spent more than we saved in eating out and driving back and forth. Here, we saved a lot of money by eating in; full kitchens are equipped with a tall refrigerator, range with an oven and 4 burners, plus a microwave, pots and pans, dishes, utensils - even a corkscrew for the wine. There is a patio for guests with large gas BBQ grills but we didn't use them. Beach-goers at Moonlight Beach park on the street outside the motel, so you can't get a closer spot. Walking distance to coffee shop, frozen yogurt, pizza, 7-11, etc. It's also an easy exit/entrance to I5 if you want to get around. Suite with a private balcony. Roomy bathroom even had a cabinet. All this, and it was only $39 more than the Days' Inn we were about to reserve several blocks inland (NOT walking distance to anything)!
George was very helpful in accommodating us for a last-minute trip and after-hours arrival. He even had an extra boogie board for us to borrow!
Things to know: No coffee pot. I wouldn't request a suite next time because I couldn't hear the ocean from my bed. No elevator. Beds aren't really queen size. This is NOT a place to "party"; it's a quiet place to relax.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
A L,
Thank you for the nice review and good description of the Moonlight Beach Motel. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and we look forward to your return visit.

One question or correction though, all the beds in the motel are queen size, although the box spring is half the hight size to fit in the small bed area, all the metal box frames and mattresses are queens. The difference of a queen and a full is only 6" and in the small bed area of the suite it may seem smaller. Yes ! next time ask for a two bed studio with two queens and you will be a bit more comfortable. I'm hoping to put two king's this fall on third floor. But with only 24 rooms our options are not that great.

cheers geo & deb
San Bernardino, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Thank you again George and Deb for making our weeks stay with you another great memory. As promised the place was quiet, clean, restful with a beautiful view of the beach. A word of warning - if you are looking for a place to party with a large crowd this is not the place for you and your party. George and Deb work very hard to keep the complete area clean and well maintained. It is not a luxury resort it is a small older motel. We love it and plan to come back for many years to come. George and Deb you rock and we feel very fortunate to find you guys.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
tym4mom2,

Why thank you for the kind words, and we are glad you found us also and had a memorable and nice stay ... It gets a bit crazy around here in July and having a full house keeps us on our toes ... The MBM will be here for you many yeas to come ...
Somethings were just not meant to be changed ...

cheers geo & deb
Palm Desert, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Moonlight Beach Motel is a great find. It's location is ideal, within walking distance of restaurants, shops, and most importantly the beach. The hotel is not a luxury resort but it is clean, well maintained and your hosts treat you like family. They make you feel welcome and certainly go out of their way to make sure your stay is perfect. My husband and I are looking forward to our next visit. Thank you Debra and George. See you in August.

Michelle D.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Michelle D,

Thank you ... I'm glad you found us also !
Yes our location being so close to beach, but still in a residential area makes it feel more like you are home when staying here. That is our #1 mission ...

We are NOT a luxury resort or a business hotel. If guests are seasoned business travelers and require those kind amenities this is not the place for you ... We are a classic family owned Beach Motel, not a chain, and proud of it ... Built in 1976, yes there is not a day that goes by that we are not fixing or trying to make things better for our guests ... Summer puts this little jewel to the test, and yes, a spot from "red wine", "soda", a spill from a little to much fun may be on the carpet, but as so many have said ... "clean" That is our #2 mission ...

We look forward to your return visit !

cheers, geo & deb
sedona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

It is rare today to find people that run a motel/hotel with heart and kindness. This is what you will find when staying at the Moonlight Beach Motel from your hosts Debra and George.

First, you will be speaking with them on the phone to make any/all accommodations. I am so used to using the internet for everything, I was a bit taken aback at first, but that is all part of the charm and exceptional customer service.

We arrived late on Monday night. We had reserved a room on the 3rd floor starting on Tuesday. George told us he'd move us from our 2nd floor (Monday night) room as soon as our 3rd floor room became available. At 9:30am Tuesday morning we got a text that the room was clean and ready for occupancy! WOW!

The rooms were SPOT LESS. Seriously, you could EAT off the floor in these rooms. One of my rings fell behind the dresser. I moved the dresser forward to get my ring and there wasn't even any dust in the BACK of the furniture. I can't tell you how many times I've had something like this happen at 4-5 Star properties and there was nothing but dirt/dust hiding from sight.

The location to the beach and the center of town could not be more perfect. Two short blocks to a lovely span of ocean front where there is a true sense of community. We took 2 hour beach walks every day and watched an incredible sunset one evening. You can see the beach from the 3rd floor rooms, but to get a really great sunset view, I'd recommend going down to the ocean.

George and Debra do everything to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable. For example, I personally found the beds to be too soft. If you require a very firm mattress, you may find this to be the case as well. George actually offered me his daughter's air mattress (that they use for her visits) as an option. We slept on the bed and did okay.

I respect and appreciate the care they take in making sure the property obeys the quiet hours (9am through 9pm), including putting families on the lower level floors so as not to disrupt guests (i.e. with Children running around as children will do)!

The down side of the property for me was the size of the bathroom and shower. I have very long legs, and it was virtually impossible to shave my legs in the shower. Also, the water was very hard. This would not stop me from staying here again, though! But, I would likely not spend an entire week here, as I do enjoy having a larger bathroom when I am traveling; especially with my boyfriend. It is what it is though and all the other elements of the property and superior customer service/location make up for this.

We were actually sad to leave!

By the way, there is a Whole Foods store within walking distance. It is not one of the better Whole Foods stores (smaller with not as much variety) but it's still a great place to get groceries.

And there is a wonderful coffee shop right next door, and a Starbucks about a 20 minute walk away.

George and Debra, thank you SO much for your hospitality! You are both so dear.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms do afford the best views.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear LoisSedona,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Motel. It is always special when a Senior Contributor from Trip Advisor takes the time. As I've said to other reviews, you give Deb and I to much credit ! You do get what the Motel is all about from the booking process, to the on site customer service, to the quiet hours. We love what we do and we try and do the best job to keep the "old magic lamp" polished. This is our home when working and we want people to treat the Motel as their home when staying here. We look forward to your return visit ...

"B"e "G"ood in your adventures ... cheers, geo & deb ;60
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We have been coming here for approx. 20 years and this is the first time that the room(s) were as dirty - kitchen sink drawers very sticky, top of refrigerator had a cake of dust and food particle, refrigerator door handle sticky. TV holder from wall is filthy/dirty. There is a huge stain on carpet in bedroom. The mattress of bed slopes toward the center.

Room Tip: The room we stayed in was 206.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
vmnatzaganian,

As always I thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Moonlight Beach Motel, good or bad ... I'm so sorry we did not talk about this when you were here so we could have addressed the problems immediately ...

There is no excuse for the problems you pointed out, and I can't tell you how sorry we are that this happened during your visit. Debs biggest pet peeve is making sure the kitchens are up to par, something that sometimes gets away from us when things get busy, and people want to check in early, and others want late check outs. The stain on the carpet was an oil ring left by a guest that had a therapeutic massage, and we have had it cleaned professionally three times with no good results in removing it. I was so upset when I saw it !

I will check out the condition of the mattress in 206 because we have had mostly favorable comments about the mattresses in the rooms, but obviously this one needs to be looked at.

cheers, geo & deb ...

Been to Moonlight Beach Motel? Share your experiences!