“Concerns on upkeep of property” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Moonlight Beach Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Encinitas
Moonlight Beach Motel
You added Moonlight Beach Motel to your Saves list
233 2nd Street, Encinitas, CA 92024   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Encinitas
Phoenix, Arizona
“Concerns on upkeep of property”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We have been coming here for approx. 20 years and this is the first time that the room(s) were as dirty - kitchen sink drawers very sticky, top of refrigerator had a cake of dust and food particle, refrigerator door handle sticky. TV holder from wall is filthy/dirty. There is a huge stain on carpet in bedroom. The mattress of bed slopes toward the center.

Room Tip: The room we stayed in was 206.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
vmnatzaganian,

As always I thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Moonlight Beach Motel, good or bad ... I'm so sorry we did not talk about this when you were here so we could have addressed the problems immediately ...

There is no excuse for the problems you pointed out, and I can't tell you how sorry we are that this happened during your visit. Debs biggest pet peeve is making sure the kitchens are up to par, something that sometimes gets away from us when things get busy, and people want to check in early, and others want late check outs. The stain on the carpet was an oil ring left by a guest that had a therapeutic massage, and we have had it cleaned professionally three times with no good results in removing it. I was so upset when I saw it !

I will check out the condition of the mattress in 206 because we have had mostly favorable comments about the mattresses in the rooms, but obviously this one needs to be looked at.

cheers, geo & deb ...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
East Lansing, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

First, I apologize for the delay in writing a review. I wanted to be sure I had ample time to write. My mom and I stayed at Moonlight Beach Motel for a total of 4 nights from May 17-21th, 2013. The forth night was based on that I was not feeling so well. George and Debra were beyond the call of duty of able to be accommodating and helpful to us. For that alone, my rating deserves a 5 star. The motel room was clean and comfortable. Some minor details that had quick fix to them. Such as bedroom is off the main drive thru. Just put on the air con to mask the noise. No biggy. The room style is from the 70's very basic but you are only in and out to a five minute walk either one of the exceptional beaches I have been to-Moonlight Beach or to five minute walk to downtown Encinitas. Wholefoods is right there. Nice eateries, etc. I spent most of time at the beach just to be there and be in a serene state of mind. There are port-a-potties right by the volley ball area. Watch people surf n boogie board...and paddle board. I told my mom the other day, of our two week vacation that the part staying at Moonlight Beach Motel and walking to Moonlight Beach was one of the highlights. George and Debra again reached out to us to help us for transportation to the train station in Solano Beach. I mean really took care of us. Their genuine offerings of hospitality and sincerity truly made my mother and I feel at home. The first zen moment for me was when I first walked into our room there was a beautiful rock to hold open the door. I found peace in that for some reason. My mother is 75 years young/old depending on what date it is. She adapted fine and was a trooper in the end. This time with her I will cherish mostly. The moments we had, the people we met and the coincidences/reasons of being were incredible. I am already thinking of when I am able to return. My mom would also. Thank you to Debra and George for your warmth and hospitable efforts. We wish you continue success in your future endeavors at Moonlight Beach Motel. I have pictures to post but right now some technical difficulties. Also, from our balcony room #206 we had a pleasant view of the beach/ocean. To see the sunset just walk to the beach. May I add one more thought. Debra and George are open to your suggestions and complaints...they welcome them to put on their list of "to do's". Namaste, Lily and Agnes.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Lily C,

Thank you for your kind review, but you give Deb and I to much credit. We enjoy our job as managers but it's guests like you that make our job fun. They have finished the "Moonlight Beach State Park" construction and the "port-a-potties" are all gone, and the new "Moonlight Beach Deli, bathrooms and showers are open.

We look forward to your return ... cheers geo & deb ...
Tucson, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

My wife and I just had a most enjoyable 5 days at this quaint motel 2 short blocks from Moonlight Beach.Our third floor balcony (Rooms 307 and 308 are the rooms of choice) gave us a near commanding view of the ocean. The large room came with a fully equipped kitchen with all necessary utensils sans coffee maker in the room, and bath towels that are 100% cotton!Added to our enjoyment was the courtesies extended by hosts George and Deborah, who couldn't do enough for us to make our stay memorable. They provide muffins in the morning, beach chairs and umbrellas for those spending several days or more, and the use of several large grills on a patio. All rooms are smoke-free; families are welcome but a quiet period (9 P.M. to 9 A.M.) is generally observed, so if you want to party and 'howl at the moon' this is not the place for you
Will certainly stay there again.
Armand and Carolyn

Room Tip: Rooms 307 and 308 have the best views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Armand and Carolyn,
We always appreciate it when guest take the time to review The Moonlight Beach Motel on Trip Advisor. We get many new guests from the descriptions of your stay and what the motel is all about. Yes, 307 and 308 have become the most requested rooms, but all the rooms have their charm in one way or another. Our smoke-free and quiet hours policy has been one that most of our guests respect and expect when staying here. I'm sorry for the few guests that have had as problem with it, but as you stated, " if you want to party and 'howl at the moon' this is not the place for you" We look forward to your return ... cheers, geo and deb ...
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Pefect location, great value, clean, nice unit with a full kitchen, Whole foods at 6 minutes walking, great restaurants and bars at 5-10 minutes walking and a great beach to walk, run, relax and swim. Take a surfing lesson! You have access to beach chairs, beach umbralla, beach toys for kids, barbecue and a full kitchen.

Room Tip: We were top floor, with an ocean view from our balcony.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
prob8020,
I see you made it home safe and sound ... :^)
Yes " “Location, location, location” is one of our greatest assets. I just wish we had more than 24 rooms because it's so hard pleasing everyone, but no matter what room you get you are still where it counts the most, access to the Beach, and downtown Encinitas. We look forward to your return. cheers, geo & deb ...
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

George and Deb own and run this place and they are fabulous! My criteria were: be as close to the beach as possible, have a balcony facing the ocean, reasonable price, clean, clean, clean, excellent customer service, full kitchen, free parking, walking distance to downtown Encinitas, close to my yoga studio (it was a short, scenic drive). This place met all my needs. I had a studio room on the third (top) floor and slept with the sliding glass doors open every night. I was there for three night/four days. The sound of the waves lulled me to sleep (I will be honest, you will hear the train but that happens anywhere you stay close to downtown Encinitas). The room was a good size, had a full kitchen with pots and pans and it came in handy to make breakfast and snacks. The decor is simple and reminiscent of an old-school California beach motel. While it is not fancy, everything is very clean which is very important to me. I had a lovely stay and look forward to staying there again. George and Deb are warm, kind, helpful people and make you feel right at home. I give them major bonus points for having AND enforcing the nightly quiet hours. You will have to call to make reservations which I also like - it's so much more personal and inviting than large hotel website reservations. And, when you call, you can ask them any questions so you have all the information you need before your trip.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor are great but note that there isn't an elevator so you will have to cli...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
cleanairgal,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice and descriptive review. It gives readers a realistic idea of what The Moonlight Beach Motel is all about. The "Good Neighbor Hotel Policy" of quiet hours, and no gathering in the rooms with groups, is something our guests have grown to expect. I do have to correct you on one thing though. Although the owners treat us like family, we do not own the motel, Deb and I are the managers. We look forward to your return ... cheers ... geo & deb ...
Palm Desert, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Walking distance to beach and many restaurants and shops. I stayed in room 202 and had a partial beach view. Great balcony to sit out and enjoy the fresh breeze. Room is older and has "character". Room was a good size and clean. Friendly staff. Hope to be back again soon.

• Stayed March 2013
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
melpd,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Moonlight Beach Motel. It is always great to hear from "Senior Contributor's" ! All the rooms on the second and third floor have ocean views, and your "partial beach view" explains it rather well for 202. Some views are better and we always try and do the best we can with requests, but with only 24 rooms it is often hard since the rooms get booked early and for long stays. We look forward to your return ... cheers geo & deb
Nelson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Away from the noise of Hwy 101, and far from the horrendous noise of I-5. Short walk to the beach, which goes on for miles. Friendly service. Large clean well-maintained rooms. We had a 2-bed, but saw a 1-bed room with a separate bedroom and nice sitting area. Ours had no room for comfortable couch or chairs, but did have a small table for eating. Good view (but only from some rooms), and we slept with the balcony door open to the sound of waves breaking, and frogs peeping in the nearby pond. Nice!

Three or four people in the two beds would have been crowded when eating, but not a problem if weather allows balcony use.

Room Tip: Ask about view, and if you only need 1 bed maybe you get more comfortable seating.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
CarPilot,

Thanks for your review of The Moonlight Beach Motel.
It sounds like you had one of the two bed suites on the third floor. Yes because everyone seemed to hate the old pull out couches the motel used to have, we put a queen size bed in that area for better sleeping, but it does cramp that area. There are 6 one bed suites on different floors that, like you saw, do have that same area with nice couches.

This is why we only book reservations directly on the phone and use no online booking sites. We are a small, older beach motel with only 24 rooms, so we try our best to give each guest the best room for their needs.

The crashing waves and frogs are much better than counting sheep :^)

cheers, geo & deb ...

Been to Moonlight Beach Motel? Share your experiences!