“It's more than 'Location! Location Location!'” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moonlight Beach Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Encinitas
Moonlight Beach Motel
You added Moonlight Beach Motel to your Saves list
233 2nd Street, Encinitas, CA 92024   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Encinitas
Tucson, AZ
“It's more than 'Location! Location Location!'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

My wife and I just had a most enjoyable 5 days at this quaint motel 2 short blocks from Moonlight Beach.Our third floor balcony (Rooms 307 and 308 are the rooms of choice) gave us a near commanding view of the ocean. The large room came with a fully equipped kitchen with all necessary utensils sans coffee maker in the room, and bath towels that are 100% cotton!Added to our enjoyment was the courtesies extended by hosts George and Deborah, who couldn't do enough for us to make our stay memorable. They provide muffins in the morning, beach chairs and umbrellas for those spending several days or more, and the use of several large grills on a patio. All rooms are smoke-free; families are welcome but a quiet period (9 P.M. to 9 A.M.) is generally observed, so if you want to party and 'howl at the moon' this is not the place for you
Will certainly stay there again.
Armand and Carolyn

Room Tip: Rooms 307 and 308 have the best views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Armand and Carolyn,
We always appreciate it when guest take the time to review The Moonlight Beach Motel on Trip Advisor. We get many new guests from the descriptions of your stay and what the motel is all about. Yes, 307 and 308 have become the most requested rooms, but all the rooms have their charm in one way or another. Our smoke-free and quiet hours policy has been one that most of our guests respect and expect when staying here. I'm sorry for the few guests that have had as problem with it, but as you stated, " if you want to party and 'howl at the moon' this is not the place for you" We look forward to your return ... cheers, geo and deb ...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Pefect location, great value, clean, nice unit with a full kitchen, Whole foods at 6 minutes walking, great restaurants and bars at 5-10 minutes walking and a great beach to walk, run, relax and swim. Take a surfing lesson! You have access to beach chairs, beach umbralla, beach toys for kids, barbecue and a full kitchen.

Room Tip: We were top floor, with an ocean view from our balcony.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
prob8020,
I see you made it home safe and sound ... :^)
Yes " “Location, location, location” is one of our greatest assets. I just wish we had more than 24 rooms because it's so hard pleasing everyone, but no matter what room you get you are still where it counts the most, access to the Beach, and downtown Encinitas. We look forward to your return. cheers, geo & deb ...
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

George and Deb own and run this place and they are fabulous! My criteria were: be as close to the beach as possible, have a balcony facing the ocean, reasonable price, clean, clean, clean, excellent customer service, full kitchen, free parking, walking distance to downtown Encinitas, close to my yoga studio (it was a short, scenic drive). This place met all my needs. I had a studio room on the third (top) floor and slept with the sliding glass doors open every night. I was there for three night/four days. The sound of the waves lulled me to sleep (I will be honest, you will hear the train but that happens anywhere you stay close to downtown Encinitas). The room was a good size, had a full kitchen with pots and pans and it came in handy to make breakfast and snacks. The decor is simple and reminiscent of an old-school California beach motel. While it is not fancy, everything is very clean which is very important to me. I had a lovely stay and look forward to staying there again. George and Deb are warm, kind, helpful people and make you feel right at home. I give them major bonus points for having AND enforcing the nightly quiet hours. You will have to call to make reservations which I also like - it's so much more personal and inviting than large hotel website reservations. And, when you call, you can ask them any questions so you have all the information you need before your trip.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor are great but note that there isn't an elevator so you will have to cli...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
cleanairgal,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice and descriptive review. It gives readers a realistic idea of what The Moonlight Beach Motel is all about. The "Good Neighbor Hotel Policy" of quiet hours, and no gathering in the rooms with groups, is something our guests have grown to expect. I do have to correct you on one thing though. Although the owners treat us like family, we do not own the motel, Deb and I are the managers. We look forward to your return ... cheers ... geo & deb ...
Palm Desert, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Walking distance to beach and many restaurants and shops. I stayed in room 202 and had a partial beach view. Great balcony to sit out and enjoy the fresh breeze. Room is older and has "character". Room was a good size and clean. Friendly staff. Hope to be back again soon.

• Stayed March 2013
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
melpd,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Moonlight Beach Motel. It is always great to hear from "Senior Contributor's" ! All the rooms on the second and third floor have ocean views, and your "partial beach view" explains it rather well for 202. Some views are better and we always try and do the best we can with requests, but with only 24 rooms it is often hard since the rooms get booked early and for long stays. We look forward to your return ... cheers geo & deb
Nelson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Away from the noise of Hwy 101, and far from the horrendous noise of I-5. Short walk to the beach, which goes on for miles. Friendly service. Large clean well-maintained rooms. We had a 2-bed, but saw a 1-bed room with a separate bedroom and nice sitting area. Ours had no room for comfortable couch or chairs, but did have a small table for eating. Good view (but only from some rooms), and we slept with the balcony door open to the sound of waves breaking, and frogs peeping in the nearby pond. Nice!

Three or four people in the two beds would have been crowded when eating, but not a problem if weather allows balcony use.

Room Tip: Ask about view, and if you only need 1 bed maybe you get more comfortable seating.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
CarPilot,

Thanks for your review of The Moonlight Beach Motel.
It sounds like you had one of the two bed suites on the third floor. Yes because everyone seemed to hate the old pull out couches the motel used to have, we put a queen size bed in that area for better sleeping, but it does cramp that area. There are 6 one bed suites on different floors that, like you saw, do have that same area with nice couches.

This is why we only book reservations directly on the phone and use no online booking sites. We are a small, older beach motel with only 24 rooms, so we try our best to give each guest the best room for their needs.

The crashing waves and frogs are much better than counting sheep :^)

cheers, geo & deb ...
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Located on a hillside with fab views of the majestic Pacific Ocean! Ask for a room on the south end of the motel, ideally 2nd or 3rd floor. George was very accommodating in helping us select a room when I called for a reservation. Beautiful sunset view was equally beautiful at sunrise. If you surf, this is the place to go - one of the best surf breaks on the west coast, I am told. Would be a fun place to stay for a week, or just a few nights for a quick getaway. Lots of good dining options in walking or short drive range. Trivia: Who remembers the Eagles' "Hotel California"? THE original Hotel California, where the Eagles hung out, is a private residence, just a few blocks north of the Moonlight Beach Motel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on South end, 2nd or 3rd floor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Skiwhenucan,
Thanks for taking the time and your nice review ...
You get what The Moonlight Beach Motel and the town of Encinitas is all about.

But, I have never heard the "Trivia" about "The Hotel California ever being in Encinitas, and I thought I had heard all the local folklore's about Encinitas ?
I would love to know what you know that I don't know ...

We look forward to your return visit ...

cheers geo & deb
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My sister and I were in Encinitas to visit her daughter and needed a place to stay for a few days. Her daughter suggested the Moonlight Beach Motel as it was very close to her apartment. I am so happy she suggested this place. The room was exceptionally clean. The bed was the most comfortable mattress I have slept on in a Hotel/Motel in many years!! My sister and I both commented on that fact many times. We had a beautiful view of the beach. Both sunrise and sunsets were picture perfect and getting to enjoy them on the balcony was such a pleasant part of the day.
You have to meet George...he runs the whole facility AND VERY WELL!!
He is pleasant, kind, caring and makes sure your stay is an enjoyable one. I never had the pleasure of meeting his wife Deb although I am sure she would make sure all customer needs were met as well.
I will going back to see George & Deb everytime my sister and I have the opportunity to visit Encinitas again.
Thank you Moonlight Beach Motel for making our sister weekend so spectacular!!
Sharon Cooper
Huntington Beach, CA
Sandee Boyd
Henderson, NV

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
MoonlightBeachMotel, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
SSCooper

WOW, thanks for the kind words ! I didn't realize you were sisters, I thought they were shooting another movie sequel of "Thelma and Louise". It's guests like you that make The Moonlight Beach Motel what it is today and fun for Deb and I.

I have to take this opportunity to say "Thank You" ! As you realized this is a non smoking property in the rooms, balconies - front and back, and walk ways in consideration of other guests. So often some guests don't understand this policy. You guys, even though it was a bit cold during your stay were so polite and smoked on the open air patio area and never questioned our policy. We want all our guests to be happy ! The smoking and quiet hours policy (9:00 pm to 9:00 am) are what our guests expect when they stay at the Moonlight Beach Motel.

We look forward to your return often !

cheers geo & deb

Been to Moonlight Beach Motel? Share your experiences!