“A great time and a great week in Encinitas at Moonlight Beach Motel.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moonlight Beach Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Encinitas
Moonlight Beach Motel
Save Saved
You added Moonlight Beach Motel to your Saves list
233 2nd Street, Encinitas, CA 92024   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Encinitas
Golden, Colorado
“A great time and a great week in Encinitas at Moonlight Beach Motel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We (Jodi & Bob) had a great time and a great week in Encinitas at Moonlight Beach Motel! Our room had an extraordinary view of Moonlight Beach. Debra and George made us feel confortable and welcome. It was very convenient to town. We flew to San Diego and then took the Coaster to Encinitas so we got around for the week without a vehicle. We plan to vacation again in Encinitas at Moonlight Beach Motel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
MBMOwner, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Thanks Jodi and Bob. Yes "a great week", they just seem to go toooo fast. You had some wonderful weather ... Great jpg on the beach, who took it? LOL Next time I'll be sure Deb has more space on the memory card and gets more shots. I’ll bet your using that blanket more now that your home than just sitting on it at the beach :^) … geo & deb …

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Scottsdale, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

I am 28 years old and first came to Encinitas when I as 16. Ever since then I have fell in love with this town. My dream is to live here someday. During college I gave up my crazy spring break destinations and started coming here. I first stayed at the Moonlight beach hotel in 2004. There is no better place to stay then the Moonlight beach. The rooms are moderately priced and come with alot of amenities. When I visit I am able to go grocery shopping and cook right in the room. It's almost like luxury camping for me. I spend all day on the beach then come back and enjoy dinner watching the ocean. I am currently in the US Army and my last visit in 2009 I came with my family. We had a separate room for my wife and I and the kids had their own area. Encinitas has some great shops and is a very active and vibrant beach community. When I was in my early 20's I would take the Coaster and Red Trolley to TJ for a day of partying. Now I take the Coaster with my family to downtown San Diego or to do some sight seeing. There are plenty of activities for a young couple or family. However, when I do visit North County San Diego I will not stay in any other place then the Moonlight Beach Motel. If they are sold out I will wait and plan my trip when they have a vacancy. You cannot get any closer to the beach for the price. If your traveling on a budget or not, Encinitas CA and the Moonlight Beach Motel are for you.

Room Tip: Room 205 is the best room them have. It has a great view, very cozy and is basically a one bedroom a...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
MBMOwner, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, November 26, 2011
Nutterbutter 42; First off, Thank you for being an important part of the American way. I hope your dream of living here with your family comes true soon ... The local Encinitas chamber of Commerce may call you to write for their local news letter when they read this review ... :^) ... I'm glad your recent visit to the Moonlight Beach Motel (MBM) was again all that you wanted and expected ... The coaster station for Encinitas is across the Historic hwy 101 just south on Vulcan and is very convenient. Arrangements can be made in advance if you need transportation from the Coaster to the Moonlight Beach Motel, although it is only a seven min walk to Motel. But if baggage or health is a concern we will try and help.

Hope to see you agin soon ... cheers geo.
Pisa, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Just back from Encinitas.
Thanks George and Debra , everything was great.
Very good service , everyone was very kind and helpful.
The room is nice and clean with a large and clean bathroom.
Big TV , BBQ , in a very nice position with a beautiful view on the ocean .
Easy parking and very close to everything in Encinitas.
Thks again George and Debra , hope to see You soon.
Hugs from Italy.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
MBMOwner, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Stefano, Thank you for taking the time to say thanks, but it’s Deb and I that need to say thanks … After two months of three groups from Italy, all knowing each other, but staying overlapping times for such long times we can’t tell you how wonderful it was for us each morning as we watched you all go off to surf, shop and just enjoy the American Rivera of Encinitas CA. Yes it was a bit hard communicating sometimes, but we always were able to understand each other through the smiles and laughter … We look forward to your next visit next year … geo.
New Orleans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Thanks to George and Debra for providing such a comfortable and clean place to stay with a beautiful view of the ocean from our balcony. They made sure we had everything we needed and provided easy directions to get coffee, food and spirits! Several of us (cousins from out-of-state) had come for a relative's funeral and were pleasantly surprised to find that family had made arrangements for us at such a neat location. We walked to the beach (about a block away) and strolled through town to check out all the little shops and the bazarre. Had a lovely breakfast and everyone was very pleasant and friendly. You can't go wrong when staying here....location, location, location! I'm from the south and was pleased to find hospitality similar to ours. Thanks again you guys for everything.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
MBMOwner, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
It's always a pleasure to have local Encinitas families drop in personally and make reservations for family and friends to come to the Moonlight Beach Motel ... It's what has made this motel what is is today after 35 years ... I know it was a sad time, but a celebration of a fine man's life ... I'm glad you were happy ... Please try and come back again soon ... geo.
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

We were in Encinitas in late October for a wedding and stayed at the Moonlight Beach Motel for 4 nights with our two sons (10 and 12) and daughter (5). It was GREAT! We had two bedrooms (one with one double bed, the other with two double beds) and a kitchenette. Staff were VERY NICE and so helpful (we never met nor saw Mrs. Chen). Walked to Whole Foods to get some food and went to the ocean every day. Motel had boogie boards for the kids to borrow as well as sand toys. Rooms were super clean, not fancy. Shower only (no bath). TV in only one of the rooms. You can walk to the ocean, you can walk to route 101 where the shops and restaurants are. It's basically great. We highly recommend the Birch Aquarium which is closer than San Diego and the perfect size for kids.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor which was nice with kids. For a view, ask for second or third floor.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
MBMOwner, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
LynnK_Denver ... I'm happy to hear you had a good time while at The Moonlight Beach Motel. Yes, the "Birch Aquarium" was one of my favorites as my girls grew up in Encinitas.

I have to correct you on one point though. All the beds in the motel are "Queens" 60" wide X 80" long. Double Beds are 54" wide X 75" long.

Hope to see you again soon ... geo.
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We just spent a long weekend in our favorite city in California. As usual we stayed at this motel and as usual our stay was wonderful! Mind you, this is NOT The Ritz Carlton, it is a motel. The rooms are clean, the staff was kind and helpful, the views were breathtaking! You can sit and watch the most beautiful sunset you have ever seen, right from your balcony or your bed...for under $100.00!! In 1979, my family's first year visiting, room rates for 3 full size beds in 2 rooms plus kitchen amenities, were approximately $69.00 per night. This visit I barely paid more than that for the exact same amenities. This place also has barbecue grills and equipment so you don't have to eat out all the time.

We are a family of 4 and can't afford vacations in today's economy, The Moonlight Beach Motel helps you to relax without breaking the bank.

Room Tip: I recommend room 105 or 106 if you have children.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
MBMOwner, Manager at Moonlight Beach Motel, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
Kimme411, Thank you for your kind words ... Yes, 105 & 106 are great rooms for families that need the extra bed, and two rooms and still have access to the patio and garden area. It gives the kids access to a safe and fun area to play right out side the room. We will be adding Room 104 to that list of three beds in November because they have been so popular. The studio rooms 107 & 108 have some of the same features with two beds in a studio lay out. You have to be one of the longest guests we have heard from since the Motel was built in 1976 ! Hope to see you again soon ... cheers geo.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

This place is terrific. It's about a one minute walk to the beach and very close to the main street in Encinitas where all the shops and restaurants are. The rooms are comfortable. Everything was clean and relatively new. For the price it is unbelievable! We had a room with two beds and a kitchenette for under a hundred bucks! If you are on an upper floor you will have an ocean view but we we very happy on the first floor with our surf boards. My 9' board fit in the room, no problem. The feeling of the place is calm and pleasant. The couple that run the place are so sweet and friendly and helpful. I have nothing but good things to say about the Moonlight Beach Motel. I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: In the rooms with only one bed, the bed is a double, not a queen or king. So if you are a couple who...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
TraciBford, Thank You for your kind words. I'm glad the Moonlight Beach Motel was all you expected. Yes the rooms on the first floor are great for access to get in and out with your boards and get to the beach ASAP. All the rooms have their own charm in a certain way ... I would like to correct you on one note. I'm confused because all the beds in the motel are queens, but in some of the studio rooms the rooms are so open and big the bed may look like a double. Hope to see you again soon ! geo.

Been to Moonlight Beach Motel? Share your experiences!