“Unprofessional Staff” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge

You added Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1800 Powell Street, Emeryville, CA 94608 (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Emeryville
Atlanta
“Unprofessional Staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

First let me state that my reservation was made in advance and was confirmed with the Hilton website directly. When I arrived for check-in (3pm), I was told that the hotel was full and I would not be able to obtain the room in which I was promised. I could not understand how a confirmation was made and not upheld by this hotel. And to make things worst the manager did not explain how this could have happened or apologize for the inconvenience. This establishment treated me as though I did not matter, do to the fact that they were "full". I found the Courtyard Marriott of Emeryville to be an excellent alternative; the staff was great and the hotel was immaculate! Courtyard Marriott was a better choice by far for a direct view of the bay!!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
TiffCaldwell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, December 16, 2008
I want to take this opportunity to apologize for the unfortunate miscommunication that occurred with your reservations at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. I would very much like to discuss this further and offer some type of recourse. Will you please contact me at your earliest convenience at 510-658-8127? Thank you, and again, our sincere apologies for your experience!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Turkish first
Superior, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2008

I was called to Emeryville on business just after Thanksgiving, 2007 and checked into the HGI. It became, literally, my 'home-away-from-home' for a year. It's safe to say that I experienced everything about the hotel experience during that time. Daily interaction with staff, presence at special events, service in restarurant and lounge, spa and laundry facilities.

I have to say that the staff is outstanding at every level; from the front desk personnel to the new general manager. In my year at the HGI I got to meet so many quality staff and management who took their job of taking care of guests to the highest levels. They got to know me over time and all would address me by name, include me in events and showed the highest quality of professional guest and personal service. They offered advice of places to go and things to do/see outside of the hotel. They cooperatively saw to my needs that were required due to my lengthy stay and always were cheerfully accomodating.

My room and the facilities were very comfortable. (The new sleep system in the king rooms was so comfortable, I will purchase one for my own use.) But most especially it was the personal service and cheerful interactions with the staff that made this an extraordinary year. I can not recommend this property and it's staff highly enough.

• Liked — Staff attentiveness and friendliness
  • Disliked — Halls needed to be cleared of room service trays more quickly
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
TiffCaldwell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, December 6, 2008
John-Thank you for taking time to recognize the entire team for a job well done. Having you as our "resident" guest for over a year was truly a pleasure, and we miss you dearly. I'm certain that one day our paths will all cross again. Until that time, good luck with everything that you do, and keep beating that drum!
portland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

I am currently a Mariott rewards member, but after staying at the courtyard and having a friend/college stay at the HGI, I quicky noticed a huge difference. I am a frequent traveler and notice and appreciate good customer service. The Emeryville HGI rates a perfect 10 in customer service! The breakfast buffet is awesome! Tiffanie Caldwell is probabbly the absolute best GM I've ever had the pleasure to meet...and I've been traveling for 10 years! I'm a diamond member and between all of the Hilton's that I've stayed in, this property's customer service is second to none! I'm greeted everytime I come in the door...by name! That's impressive!

• Liked — The workout facility. And the breakfast.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
TiffCaldwell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, December 3, 2008
Thank you so much for taking time to let others know of your wonderful experience at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. Exceeding our valuable guests' expectations is the cornerstone of our business! We know how valuable your time is, and we sincerely appreciate you letting us know that we've consistently provided excellent customer service. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

Staff made us feel at home, anticipated needs -- very professional and friendly. Room was well-appointed, price was right, breakfast was good -- all in all, a great stay and we'll be back!

• Liked — value, location (Trader Vic's 10 min. walk), staff
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
TiffCaldwell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, November 19, 2008
We sincerely appreciate you taking time to share your wonderful experience with the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. Providing our guests with perfect 10 service while offering affordable, high quality value are the cornerstones of our business. We are delighted to hear that you will be returning for future stays! We look forward to being of service to you again soon.
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2008

As a business traveler who spends several nights a week in hotels, it was nice to "find" this hotel! The rooms, restaurant, and especially the staff (Tiffanie, you rock!) are wonderful! The locate is very nice as well.
In closing I would also like to personally thank Tiffanie for her professionalism and assistance during my last stay! I was traveling with my wife and during our visit, she caught a very nasty cold. Tiffanie (the GM) personally deliveried oatmeal and fruit to our room so my wife would not have to get out of bed and "be seen in public" Thanks

Stayed November 2008
TiffCaldwell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, November 17, 2008
Thank you so much for letting others know of your wonderful experience with us. We are extremely pleased that we could be of service to you and your wife. Here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, we pride ourselves on the personalized service that we deliver to every guest, everyday! We are thrilled to know that you will be returning to our hotel for all of your future stays. We look forward to having you back soon.
Undisclosed
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

The hotel is nice and clean, and throughout my (long) stay I have found all of the positive reviews on this site to be generally true. The Oakland HGI is exactly what you'd expect from a standard Hilton Garden Inn (right in the middle of the quality spectrum between Hilton/Conrad and Hampton Inn). Also, as mentioned in other reviews, the front desk staff is very friendly and helpful.

The one thing that sticks out as a weakness at this hotel is its Great American Grill (on-site restaurant), specifically their breakfast service. The food on the buffet is decent (although the $15 price tag seems like a rip off), and the servers are generally very friendly, but I left the restaurant each morning in a bad mood and not at all happy with my experience. The problem is that the restaurant is run in such an inefficient manner. There seems to be plenty of waitresses, and the place is never that crowded, but once you are seated you feel absolutely invisible.

When the host/hostess seats you, they will generally ask if you'd like anything to drink. I think this is just a rhetorical question, and they have no intention of actually fulfilling your request. Most beverages are available at the buffet, so I got in the habit of just getting my own drink and helping myself to the buffet before being approached by a waitress. However, water was not available at the buffet, and my friends and I started placing bets on how long it would take for us to get a glass of ice water (one friend won $50 from us b/c he bet that we would finish our meals without ever being asked if we needed anything). I would say it was an average of 5-10 minutes before anyone would come over and ask if we needed anything, and then another 5-10 minutes before we actually got it. Add to this the 5-10 minutes it takes to get the bill (after you flag someone down to ask for it), and the 5-10 minutes it takes to get your change; you've just spent 45 minutes on what you had hoped to be a quick breakfast before heading out.

One day we were standing at the host stand and someone came by and said "go ahead and seat yourself". We did, and helped ourselves to the buffet. After 30 minutes (and finishing our meal), nobody had come by, so we left the appropriate amount of cash on the table and left without ever speaking with a Hilton employee!

I would like to emphasize that this review is not based on a single experience. I have spent over 10 nights (not consecutive) at this HGI and have definitely noticed a pattern. I have also heard other guests talking about similar complaints; "I asked for some more napkins 10 minutes ago, where are they?!"

As I mentioned before, the restaurant staff has been perfectly friendly, and it doesn't really seem like they are the source of the problem. It seems that the HGI needs to improve the logistics of this restaurant in regards to which server is assigned to which table and what level of service is expected. I am by no means a restaurateur, so I have no idea what needs to be done to fix this problem (sorry!).

The new general manager has been very visible in the restaurant in the morning. I think it is great that she takes the time to greet the hotel's guests, but I think that some efforts need to be focused on the behind-the-scenes operations.

After typing this review it almost feels asinine to be complaining about the breakfast service at what is otherwise a very nice hotel. All I can say is that it was THAT bad that after many nights in this hotel, that is the one issue that sticks out most in my mind.

• Stayed November 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
TiffCaldwell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, November 11, 2008
We want to take this opportunity to thank you for providing feedback concerning your experience in our restaurant. As someone who stays with us frequently, your opinion is of critical importance to our team! We sincerely apologize for what you feel is a lack of organization in the restaurant. We are working extremely hard to ensure that our systems are effective and that our guests are greeted and served in a timely manner. I apologize if this has not been the case to this point. Rest assured, we will continue to work hard on this issue. Again, thank you so much for your feedback, and we sincerely appreciate you staying with us.
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2008

Hilton Garden Inn Emeryville, has been the best choice for me and my colleagues for the several nights we have stayed near San Francisco. The staff surpasses copacetic enviornments of other hotels by showing outstanding courteousness towards their guests. I admiringly recommend this hotel for anyone planning to visit San Francisco, Oakland or San Leandro; not only for the cost to stay, but the over all friendly enviornment. Oh yea, cookies at 5:00pm PST!.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
TiffCaldwell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, November 7, 2008
We are extremely pleased to hear that the high quality amenities and attentive, friendly staff at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Bay Bridge exceeded your expectations. We also want to thank you for taking valuable time to let others know of your experience. We pride ourselves on making you feel like you are a part of our family, and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge? Share your experiences!