“Great staff, lousy wifi” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge

Save Saved
You added Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1800 Powell Street, Emeryville, CA 94608 (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 25%
Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Emeryville
London, United Kingdom
“Great staff, lousy wifi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I must start by saying the hotel staff both at the front desk and bar were excellent. I got checked in with no fuss and looked after when tired and hungry.
Here's the but.. the wifi failed which meant I couldn't talk to my family as I don't have US data on my mobile plan. I know this wasn't their fault, but I was then woken up at 3am by a noisy fridge and thought I'd try the wifi again and it was so bad I had to give up. It was fine in the lobby so all I can think is maybe its the room I was in?
My room overlooked the gas station and was very noisy (they had ear plugs by the bed!!). So I'd recommend getting a room that faces the opposite way.

Room Tip: Ask for a quite facing room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
sal_soto, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Duncan K, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We do have great team members here at the property and they are the real reason that makes us special. I am sorry our internet was giving you issues. We just up graded, but even high tech, gives us issues periodically. We did change your refrigerator after we recieved your comment card.

Please look me up on your next stay and let me makes things right. We appreciate your business and hope to see you back real soon.

569 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Turkish first
Brenham, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed here for an overnight prior to joining our AMTRAK train early the next day. Comfortable and clean room, good WiFi. Good follow-up by the front desk staff. Restaurant on-premises is a good feature since we didn't want to wander out.

Room Tip: Get a room on the bay side - front side rooms face the freeway but they do provide ear plugs!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
sal_soto, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear GeneF, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We are extremely convenient for our guest that travel by AMTRAK as we are only a couple blocks away. For any one taking the Bart, we do have a hotel shuttle with limited hours, but Emeryville offers a free shuttle as well.

Thank you for staying with us and hope to see you back real soon.

Seattle, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Nice rooms with great views; really good dinner and great choices for breakfast; only complaint was that no one checked and there was no paper to print boarding pass in business center at 7am in morning very disappointing

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear JohnP, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We do apologize for over looking the paper in the business center. We have adjusted our procedures in house, and have a back up plan to ensure we don't miss stocking up the business center again. We also can help with boarding passes at the front desk for your convenience.

Thank you for staying with us and hope to see you back real soon.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Hilton G.I.'s have been fairly consistent for me, so I went with it. Wish I'd gone elsewhere. This was an average stay, at best. In particular, service was lacking. On check-in, I stood there for 5 minutes before one of the 3 attendants bothered to look up and say "can I help you" (to his credit, the one with the "trainee" nametag looked at me several times, but since his manager was ignoring me, so did he!). Then, in the middle of checking me in, the front desk manager actually took time out to start answering some questions about trivial stuff from another staff member! And they were awful about answering the phone and directing calls (both from within and from outside the hotel). They have all kinds of notes in the room about how they're striving for a "9" or "10" rating on everything... but they're far from it. Finally, trying to get out of the parking lot after checking out was, well "trying"... my parking lot exit card had been deactivated and nobody answered the intercom. Spending 5-10 minutes trying to exit their lot wasn't in my plans. FYI, I noticed that the following hotels are nearby (might be worth checking them out): Hyatt House, Sheraton Four Points, Courtyard by Marriott, and Holiday Inn.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
sal_soto, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear FlyGuy47, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We apologize for falling short to your expectations. I will take your comments and do additional training at the front desk. I would like to discuss this further with you and make things right. Please give me a call directly.

We hope you give us another opportunity to earn your business and make you a loyal guest.

Frisco, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Caveat that my trip here did not include anything on the west side of the bridge.

This hotel is very clean, staffed well, and very well located for any trip that includes the east bay area and north. Parking was gratis which is uncommon in SF area. Room was large with updated decor and furniture. Bathroom was very clean and obviously scrubbed well (tile, grout, carpet, etc.). Dinner was good, salad was excellent but burger was average. Beer was ice cold. Breakfast was a good choice of buffet items and priced reasonably well for business hotel.

My only complaint is that the mattress was hard and old, pillows were uncomfortably hard, and the room lighting was poor.

Room Tip: try to stay on the bay side, wonderful views
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear frisco_heat, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We do have a great team and they work hard at maintaining a clean comfortable hotel. If you stayed in a king bed, the beds are adjustable, but a double bed does not. We also have other choice of pillows available, so next time call the front desk and we would be happy to take a couple up to your room.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you back.

Belmont, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stay here quite often as we go to the horse races at Golden Gate Fields and stay the night as traffic is really bad once the races is over. We get a good night's rest and head home early morning with no traffic. There is easy access from the hotel to the race track.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

sal_soto, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear HGI Guest, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. I hope you did well at the horse races. We appreciate your business and hope to meet you next time you are here at the property.

Please stop by and say hello.

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed 2 nights, the first in a room facing the highway, which was noisy. They supply ear plugs that do not help. As an Honors member, I thought it would be easy to change to the quieter side but the manager at the desk could not confirm it. He did get me moved and was nice about it, however beware that this is the side everyone wants to stay on. The view wasn't that great because I was only on the 6th floor but it was quieter. The $15 parking charge did not surprise me since so many people use this as a San Fran hotel where the parking is $50 per night. The staff were very helpful and nice and my room was very clean and comfy. I have stayed here before to visit my son at CAL - which is very easy since it is right near the highway and it is easy to get to the university. Berkeley has limited hotels so this was helpful to me.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear ddd1017, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. Our prefered side, is the Bay View side, but it goes quickly and also has a premium rate. But if you book early, you can find good deals on that side.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you back real soon.

Sal

Been to Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge? Share your experiences!