“Excellent Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge

Save Saved
You added Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1800 Powell Street, Emeryville, CA 94608 (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 25%
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Emeryville
Belmont, United States
“Excellent Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stay here quite often as we go to the horse races at Golden Gate Fields and stay the night as traffic is really bad once the races is over. We get a good night's rest and head home early morning with no traffic. There is easy access from the hotel to the race track.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

sal_soto, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear HGI Guest, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. I hope you did well at the horse races. We appreciate your business and hope to meet you next time you are here at the property.

Please stop by and say hello.

Sal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Turkish first
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed 2 nights, the first in a room facing the highway, which was noisy. They supply ear plugs that do not help. As an Honors member, I thought it would be easy to change to the quieter side but the manager at the desk could not confirm it. He did get me moved and was nice about it, however beware that this is the side everyone wants to stay on. The view wasn't that great because I was only on the 6th floor but it was quieter. The $15 parking charge did not surprise me since so many people use this as a San Fran hotel where the parking is $50 per night. The staff were very helpful and nice and my room was very clean and comfy. I have stayed here before to visit my son at CAL - which is very easy since it is right near the highway and it is easy to get to the university. Berkeley has limited hotels so this was helpful to me.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear ddd1017, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. Our prefered side, is the Bay View side, but it goes quickly and also has a premium rate. But if you book early, you can find good deals on that side.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you back real soon.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

A pretty nice hotel. Especially if you need to drive into or through SF the next day. Easy access to the bridge. On site parking a big plus. The bay "views" are not that big a plus though. Nice staff. Good rate, however, book online and not over the phone if you want to save money. I'm talking 25% or so. I felt a little overcharged after finding out. It is clean, and fairly priced. And that is what counts. No real regrets at all.

Room Tip: A "bay" view is better than a parking lot view. Upper floors a plus. Get dinner before arr...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear George Q, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. From a fellow New Mexican, I appreciate your comments. Our rates do change depending on business so this is the best way to get the best rate. Next time you are here, please look me up.

Hope to see you soon.

Modesto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This was one of the smallest rooms I've stayed in in many years, but, that said, it was very comfortable and filled with convenience and amenities. The only other issue was noise from the nearby freeway which never ended as it is the approach from the East Bay to San Francisco. I did sleep well, but when I was awake I was always aware of the background noise.

The contemporary decor was pleasing to me and I enjoyed the easy chair which had a good reading lamp beside it. The bed was extremely comfortable and there were many pillows. There was also a desk and very comfortable chair if I had needed to do any work. In addition, there was a small refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker with coffee makings, flat screen TV, 2 phones (bedside and on the desk), clock radio, and many lamps and plugs for charging electronic devices. The bathroom was very nice with good lighting, had all of the usual amenities, and the shower head was one of the best I've encountered in a hotel.

Check-in was quick and pleasant and I used express check out so there was no waiting in the morning. The hotel courtesy van took me to the Amtrak Station.

I did not try the hotel restaurant or bar, but they looked inviting.

For anyone who likes to walk or jog the sidewalk next to the hotel, which goes beside the bay, is great and offers breathtaking views.

Hilton Garden Inn is my favorite hotel brand for comfort, amenities and value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear RDHOnTheGo, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. By your call sign, it sounds like you travel alot and by your detailed response, it is obvious you do. We always appreciate a open and honest assessment of your accommodations.

Thank you and we appreciate your business.

I hope to see you back real soon.

Boulder, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Just returned from a business trip to the Berkeley side of the Bay - first and last stay at this particular HGI... as others have noted, very noisy - the only hotel in the world I have ever stayed at (and I've traveled multiple trips from Hong Kong to Munich - and most points in between) that actually gives you ear plugs and tries to make it sound like you should enjoy the
'melody of the freeway'... really? and then to add insult to injury, they 'sucker punch' you with a $15 parking fee, which is nothing more than your standard asphalt parking lot - and a nice little profit center for them (the same bean counters that think this is a shrewd business decision on their part would scream bloody murder if they were staying at a competitors hotel and had to fork over the $15 for parking your car in front of the hotel)... In essence, this hotel is a terrible representation of the Hilton brand (where I am a Gold member and have been for multiple years).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear DanM320, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. The fact of the matter is you do hear the hum of the freeway when you are on the east side of the hotel. With the heater/ac, tv or radio on, you don't hear a thing. The ear plugs are perfect to take out that little hum when the room has nothing on. We offer these ear plugs as sign of good effort to deal with the light noise. As far as the parking fee, this is customary in the market. If you cross the bridge into the city you will pay over $50 per night. We take very good care of our parking area and reserve it to our guest only and only our guest have access to our parking lot, not just anyone that wants a free parking space.

We apologize if these concerns you and makes the difference in choosing your hotel choice. We still have a great hotel with great value and amenities. The cost of free internet pays for any inconveniences, not to mention other such amenties we have.

I would be happy to discuss this in more detail you would like to.

We do appreciate your business and hope you return.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We just finished a 6 day stay at this hotel. It was a nice hotel, the staff was nice, cleaning staff was great, location is easily accessible. I was thoroughly disappointed about the parking situation. I am a HHonors member and stay solely at Hilton hotels. This particular hotel charges $15/day for parking. We stayed on the 11th floor and it was a pretty view. We kept the window open and on a daily basis witnessed cars driving through the white cones set up for parking. It was frustrating to know we, being honest, paid $75 for parking when others simply drove through the wide "barriers" and paid nothing. It would be nice if you are charging for parking to either have someone monitoring (since they ask for make and model of vehicle) or have it barricaded where you can't fit between the "barriers"

As far as the room goes. It was comfortable, normal size, nice views. The bed has the comfort sleep system and we found it to not be nothing spectacular and the bed we were in actually was sunk in in the middle. It was not my best Hilton experience, but it was not TERRIBLE. We would go back, but just hope they change the parking situation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
sal_soto, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Mrsj1213, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. First let me congratulate you on your wedding. The picture is great. Thank you for letting me know about what you witness on the parking. We do charge everyone that stays at the hotel. If they get passed the gate (which is hard to do) they are still being charged. We also charge parking for catering functions. But we will review our procedures.

We hope to see you back real soon, we appreciate your business.

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was there for a 5 night stay for business. The staff was friendly and helpful. Provided me directions to my work facility that made the commute less stressful. The rooms and hotel general areas were clean. this is a great location for business traveler working on the bay side. Room service was quick and good quality food.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear VC212, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We appreciate you staying with us while working in the area. I hope you enjoyed the free internet and the cookies and coffee.

Hope to see you back real soon.

Sal

Been to Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge? Share your experiences!