“Good value for the money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge

You added Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1800 Powell Street, Emeryville, CA 94608 (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Emeryville
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Good value for the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The front desk staff was SUPER slow, unresponsive, unfriendly, not hospitable and not what I expect from Hilton. I dealt with the front desk at check-in, and several other times of the day and night during my 2-night stay and it was the same glacial-speed-no-eye-contact experience every time from everyone. The parking lot was also confusing and an unnecessary hassle--you need a key card to raise the arms up and you better hope that key card is working or you're taking a walk back inside to that horrid front desk.

The rooms were clean and comfortable in a "good enough" kind of way. and this hotel was in a great location for our needs. We were in town for a relay race so didn't need an awesome view or to have great shopping nearby. However, the hotel restaurant was VERY good, the wait staff was fantastic and very accommodating for our large group of tired and smelly runners. Thank the gods

The EMERY BAY CAFE is a short walk from the hotel and was perfect for breakfast. If it hadn't been for the hotel restaurant and finding the gem of the Emery Bay Cafe, this hotel would have received 2 or fewer stars from me.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
sal_soto, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Coco Mama, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We apologize if we felt short on our service expectations during your visit. We work hard at giving exceptional service and we address any issues that arise to correct any deficiencies’. We are currently doing a lot of additional training and refreshing classes for all service team members. I hope you give us another opportunity to earn your business and loyalty.

If I can be of further assistance, please give me a call.

Sal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Turkish first
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at least 3 times, and I have found it to be comfortable, reliable and consistent. The property is well-maintained and the rooms have comfortable furnishings. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast is always very good, and the location is convenient. I think it is a good value, given the location and what it offers. I plan to return.

Room Tip: You can select a room with a bay view, and the higher the floor, the less traffic noise you will hav...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear SGT99, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We appreciate you staying with us multiple times. That is always the true indicator if a property is a nice place to stay. So thank you and we appreciate your business.

We hope to see you back real soon. If I can ever be of service, please look me up on your next visit.

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

It's a lovely hotel with quick access to the freeways next to the Oakland bridge. My room had unobstructed views of the water and City lights. Despite being close to the freeway, I couldn't hear the traffic in my room. I like the room to be cool at night for sleeping, but not a big fan of A/C. Here, you can open the window! The room was spacious and had plenty of room for luggage, furniture and walking around and was full of amenities like flat screen tv and free wifi. The hotel has a very friendly staff and service.
If you are looking for some party atmosphere, the bar area might be more of your liking at 'Chevys Fresh Mex' at walking distance from the hotel. The Emeryville train station is at 10 mins walk and so is a Starbucks.
However if San Francisco is what one wants to explore and is on a tight schedule, then this might not be the hotel you want to be at. You might want to get into something more into the city and in the bay area of SF.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear PKJ, thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. Sometimes, there is just nothing to say, you hit the nail right on the head!

We appreciate your business and hope to see you back real soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Getting into the hotel is not easier, you have to make the correct exit when you get off from the free way.The breakfast and the service are excellent.However, the parking fee is a bit high, the hotel is not close to any shopping or entertainment area. Over all , it is average hilton brand hotel

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
sal_soto, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. As I mentioned to another guest, you do need to plan your exit so you are on the correct lane to get off on the correct off ramp. Our parking fee is only $15.00 where in the city it runs $50 and up. Also accross the freeway from the hotel, is a mall, multiple eating establishments and a movie theater. It is about four blocks away, an easy walk or short drive. There is a lot of traffic so I reccommend driving, the area has plenty of parking. There is also the Emeryville go-around which is a free shuttle the city provides or our shuttle which we have during a limited time period M-F.

We appreciate your business. Please stop by the front desk and ask what we have around the hotel.

atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I recently was a guest at this Hilton Garden Inn and was so impressed. We chose this particular hotel as it was a short drive from our son's house. We booked through Expedia and got a great rate for 5 nights.

The location is great. Right off highway 80 I believe it was. You could eat in the hotel restaurant or walk to nearby restaurants. The hotel gave you the choice of a cold breakfast or full buffet with omeletes and eggs made to order. You can eat cheaper at the nearby Denny's restaurant, but not as convenient. You can also walk or drive to Chevy's restaurant or the Chinese seafood restaurant in the marina park behind the hotel for lunch and dinner.

The room was very comfortable with granite used in the bathroom in tub surround and sink counter top. The hair dryer was just like the one I use at home and was not the usual stuck on the wall in a holder kind. The beds were very comfortable and had duvet and lots of pillows. Nice desk and office chair and an easy chair with lamp for reading. The room was very clean and spacious, as were the common areas. There is a mini fridge in the room and a coffee maker and microwave. There is a little store next to the front desk where you can buy toiletries and microwave meals and breakfast and snack foods.

The staff were very courteous and helpful. They run a free shuttle to the Bart station where you can get a train to the airport or other points of interest. There is also a free Emeryville shopping shuttle that you can use. I don't know if it stops at the hotel or not, but it does stop very near the hotel for sure. I enjoyed a nice morning walk to the Marina Park behind the hotel. It goes along the bay and you pass restaurants and shopping also.

Our room faced the freeway, but we had no noise. I noticed another reviewer did hear freeway noise. We were on the 4th floor and during the day I would sit right by the window and I never noticed any noise that was disturbing at all.

I didn't see that the hotel offered any kids activities so I rated that as average.

We didn't use a lot of the hotel amenities as our focus was on visiting family, but the hotel has the usual. My husband loved the free cookies they had at the front desk some of the time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. I always love it when a guest gives a full and true account of their experience. Your comments go much further than I could ever say.

We appreciate your business and hope you come back and visit again.

Gig Harbor, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I've spent a week here at the hotel, and while it's clean and the bed is comfortable, I'm not impressed.

I like Hilton Garden Inn's because of the adjustable bed. Other than that this is just another hotel. My room looks east toward the freeway, and because of that I get a lot of freeway noise. There's no closet in the room. Instead there's an armoire that is built a bit strange.

I'm here on a business project with the room paid for for 10 days. This morning, on the 8th day, I had a bill under my door showing I was checking out. When I inquired about it at 6:45am I was told to call back after 8am to talk to the manager. I had to go to work without knowing if my belongings would be stuffed in my suitcase when I got back. It was sorted out, but without good customer service.

Room Tip: Get a room facing west away from the freeway.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. One of our best features is our location. We are just over the bridge to downtown SF, we are minutes from downtown Oakland and in the other direction a few minutes from Berkeley. Now you do have to keep an eye on the freeways, because from our hotel you can go North, South or East and timing and planning are required so you are on the correct lane. The property has all the great amenities that all the other HGI have and more. Our location right on the bay allows for a great walking trails right next to the water. At the end there is the Emeryville Pier which has a park and additional dining options. Accross the freeway we have dining, a mall and movie thearters.

Next time at the property stop by the front desk and ask what other great things to do in the area there is.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you back soon.

Upland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My daughter and I checked in at 5pm on 12/29/12 after a long and rainy drive from Southern CA. There were 2 security guys outside the front door talking. There were 2 clerks at the front desk, and one clerk was helping a single male guest when I walked up. In the middle of my check-in my clerk took a phone call. I listened as the other clerk told the male guest about the Fitness Center, the wi-fi, and that lasagne was being served at one of the restaurants, and breakfast options for the next morning. When my clerk returned from answering the phone I told her I had booked through Expedia and had noted that we wanted a bay side room. She checked and said they were all sold out. At the end of our transaction I was told to look on the back of the folder that holds the key cards for the services the hotel offered. There were no other guests waiting, and I thought she could have been more welcoming. I saw such a lack of consistency in her treatment of me and the other clerk's warmth toward her guest. After we located our room near the elevators and had unpacked we received a phone call asking if our room was satisfactory. I, wanting to rest, replied that things were fine. I probably should have gotten up the energy to complain about the service. It turned out that the traffic noise in our room was loud but monotone enough that it didn't keep us from a good sleep--maybe we were just too tired from our long drive. The location is good, but I wouldn't recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
sal_soto, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to respond on your experience while staying with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. We appologized for service we failed to give you while at the hotel. We work hard at being consistant with all our guest as they are all very important to us. We will work with these team members and retrain them in customer service.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you back.

Please stop by and see me on your next visit.

Sal

Been to Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge? Share your experiences!