“I have certainly stayed at better Four Points Around the World” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Emeryville
San Diego, California
“I have certainly stayed at better Four Points Around the World”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

I chose the Sheraton Four Points because of it's central location to everything I wanted to do in the Bay Area that weekend. I checked in after running around Berkeley all day and was aaasigned to a non-smoking room on the 4th Floor. Upon Entering my room I was greeted with a ver pungent odor like an undiluted cleaning solvent. I opened the sliding doors in hopes of the smell disapating, but within 5 minutes hed to return to the front desk and ask to be relocated. My second rom had a much more pleasant aroma to it, but it was also of a cleaning agent.
I have stayed at Four Points in Dubai and Sydney...I am an SPG membera dn always try to stay loyal to the brand, but this was simply not a good experience. From the freeway noise to the homeless people manning the parking lot, it was just bad. When I return in October I will stay at The Westin SFO and make the drive to everywhere I need to be.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Monterey, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

My stay here far exceeded my expectations. We got to stay in a great suite with a peek view of the bay. The beds were comfortable. There was a refrigerator and a microwave, and a Trader Joe's conveniently located about 100 yards away.

The thing that stood out for me, however, was the service. It started out when they let us check in three hours Early. Then, in the middle of the night, I needed earplugs (a member of our party snored) and I realized we needed spoons for our yogurt in the morning. I thought I'd have to go out to get them; instead, the front desk had both on hand.

We didn't try the room service breakfast, but the prices were shockingly reasonable.

The only downside: someone had smoked in our room at some point. The hotel did its best to purify the air and so forth, but some of the smell still lingered. I couldn't really fault the hotel too much on that; I think they did their best. Some smells are just hard to get out.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Lake Country, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

Stayed here for just one night while visiting the San Francisco area. The area around the hotel seemed nice, lots of shopping all around - Starbuck's and Trader Joe's across the street. Easy freeway access, although be warned if heading into San Francisco the Bay Bridge always has traffic, even at noon we waited 40 minutes to get on.
The hotel is a typical four points, clean and comfortable and a good night sleep. The hallways on each floor could use a rug cleaning and painting, they are looking quite worn but besides that the hotel is in nice condition. Free parking and wifi.
We drove to the MacArthur Bart station and took BART downtown, from the time we left the hotel to the time we were at Powell station was 45 minutes (no traffic and easy parking when we left in the afternoon and returned in the late evening). This BART parking lot is well lit and we felt safe, as always, just be aware of your surroundings.
The hotel was booked solid while we were there, so reservations are definitely recommended.
We would consider staying again depending on the price they are asking at the time.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

I decided to surprise my husband for his birthday and have a "get away weekend" I planned this trip to go see Norah Jones at the Greek in Berkeley, so I was looking for a Hotel centrally located. I thought this hotel was great. It met our needs, was clean and staff was very nice. We flew into Oakland, got a rental car Friday for the concert, but wanted to go to San Francisco on Saturday, so I found this to be the perfect location for us. I got a great price, so it was much cheaper than staying in the City. There is a ton of restaurants and shopping with in walking distance. We were 15 minute from the concert , 15 minutes from the city and 15-20 minutes from the airport. I have no complaints and would stay there again! We didn't eat or order from the restaurant, and got back too late each night to use the pool or jacuzzi.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

My husband and I decided to stay here on points for 4 nights with 5th night free. We picked this hotel based on previous TripAdvisor reviews and deliberately chose this hotel over more costly hotels in downtown San Fran.

We were under the impression that the commute to this hotel is simple - it is. But, I read a ton of reviews for this hotel and never once got the impression that it was quite a long commute from the city - it is - especially if you rely on the public transit system. From Fisherman's Wharf it has taken us an average of 2 hours to get to this hotel - part of that is because of the F train in San Fran to get to Embarcadero BART, then from there to MacArthur BART station (19 minutes and $3.30 each way), and from there we would take the free shuttle (Emery Go Round bus system) which dropped us off across the street from this hotel - another 15-20 minutes. Doesn't sound bad but with up to 30 minute waiting times in between the busses etc. it quickly added up in time. The Emery Go Round doesn't run very late so then it's another $10 for a taxi to the hotel.
BOTTOM LINE: If you're going to stay here as a tourist to San Fran you might save some money but you'll loose all the money in time.

If I had to do it all over again I would probably stay in San Fran itself even if it meant I could only afford to stay 4 instead of 5 nights - you'll spend your time doing things you want to do instead of 1 day of commuting once all the travel time is added up.

Having said all that. We had no problems with the hotel itself. When we got to the hotel at 5pm or so we were told that our king (traffic side) room wasn't ready yet but that they could upgrade us to a double bed room on he bay side and that we could settle in that room right away. We declined. After a 5 minute wait I went up to the counter to ask for a king room on the bay side - I was told they were all booked up. However, after another 5 minute wait we were told our king room on the bay side was ready for us. Gesture appreciated.

Rooms are a fair size and clean. Sink outside of the tub/toilet room. We had a fridge/microwave/flat screen/coffee maker/blow dryer etc. in the room without asking for it. Location within Emeryville is good - within walking distance to lots of shops.

We found the bed uncomfortable and didn't sleep great but overall we couldn't have expected any more from a 5 nights free stay at a hotel!

Ps. Free internet + parking. Free printing in business center.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Dunkirk, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

Beware that if you cancel your trip, it doesn't matter how far ahead of time, you will NOT get any of your money back! I've never heard of a hotel that does this! I'm out $150.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Stockton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

This is a 5-star hotel as far as I am concerned! I would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat! The shopping area is walking distance. Plenty of restaurants to choose from, I will never get a hotel in San Francisco anymore for my future trips/visits to the Bay Area/No. Cal. Four Points Hotel by Sheraton is an excellent place to stay with family as well. Staff who booked us at this hotel was very respectful, helpful & very cordial! Price was excellent considering that it's a stone's throw from SF & Berkeley. Parking was free. And yet so accessible to the BART station. There was a large group of family members from all over the US & Vancouver, Canada. We probably got about 5-8 different rooms. We were all very impressed with the way our reservations was handled.
Considering that it's close to the freeway, the noise level was zero inside the bedrooms. Very comfortable beds & rooms were clean.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to Four Points by Sheraton San Francisco Bay Bridge? Share your experiences!