“Spectacular view!” 5 of 5 stars

5928 Highway One, P.O. Box 336, Elk, CA 95432   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Elk B&B and Inns
“Spectacular view!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

The entire experience at Greenwood Pier was divine! My husband and I enjoyed our private porch with the view of the ocean while toasting with champagne. The grounds are beautiful with a rustic feeling. Ace was friendly and very accommodating! Ace told us that he and a few investors bought the property about 5 years ago and are slowly renovating the Inn. When we were there the shop was in the midst of renovation. We highly recommend the stay as long as you go for the experience and not mind the remodel.

• Stayed June 2013

145 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

the owner Ace is so accommodating and absolutely wants you to have the best time ever. the room we had , Aerie, had a balcony overlooking the ocean which was all
sitting on a bluff. I could have thrown a Penney and it would have fallen 80 feet down the bluff. rooms are comfortable and the bed literally was the most comfortable bed I've ever been in. they have a jacuzzi that sits on the cliff and you gaze at the stars and drink a glass of wine whenever you like. if you want to get away from it all in a special place created to slow you down and enjoy then this is the place. gorgeous setting, loving owners, great rooms.

• Stayed May 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

My husband & I had the best weekend with our Rhodesian Ridgebacks this past weekend. Both Ace & Kathleen were friendly & welcoming. Out room was very comfortable & daily basket of delivered breakfast with ripe, fresh fruit was quite tasty. As my hubby & I enjoyed champagne in the hot tub with a great view, we celebrated the fact that we found our own slice of heaven. The dog friendly beach was a big, happy us as well!

• Stayed May 2013
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Writing a fair review can often be difficult.
We didn't go to the coast to stay in a Hyatt or a Hilton. We wanted rustic California charming.

In our opinion the Greenwood Pier Inn is outdated and in need of refurbishing. The owners must think so also because they are currently working on it. When we made the reservation we learned the cafe is closed for remodeling and we were happy to be informed of that in advance.
We appreciate that. They may want to update the web site...just in case they should forget to tell someone.

We rented the North Coast Room which normally goes for $315 a night. We asked for a discount and only had to pay $275 but this was still over priced for the condition of the property and the area. As things are currently at the Greenwood Pier Inn this room should have rented for $200 or $225. We would have been very, very unhappy if we had paid full price for this room.

What we observed at this property is about ten years worth of neglect. It looks like they are actively working on remodeling the cafe and making improvements in the rooms. We'd recommend this property but suggest you wait about a year so the improvements can be made. Ace (one of the owner's) took us on a tour of the property and gardens. The gardens are lovely. This is a million dollar location.

Honestly we loved the view from our room. It was outstanding and we enjoyed sitting on our deck. The deck boards are old, worn and in need of a few nails to secure the boards a bit better. The deck chairs need to be painted and the cushions replaced. At nearly $300 a night you want the chairs to at least be clean.

The bedroom and couches were very comfortable and clean.
When "Ace" one of the owners took our reservation he was charming and funny. He made us feel very welcome. He suggested that we could check in early which we thought was great. It was a cool day and when we arrived we were surprised the room was cold. They had not turned on the space heater to get the room to a cozy temperature.

This room has a great two person soaking tub. The curtains are old and worn, one wall is covered with mirrors with multiple chips, the tile needs some repair and the handle on the hot water feel off in my hand as I adjusted the water temperature.

Northern California Coast hotels and Inns generally spoil you at breakfast with some amazing surprise. We had hoped for some wonderful little poppyseed or blueberry muffins and that did not happen. They did have a nice fruit plate, coffee, dry cereals, wheat toast, and some overcooked scrambled eggs-- but the bacon was great.

We over heard the owner yelling at Eddie who is one of the employees. We'd prefer not to hear that kind of stuff on our weekend away.

We've stayed along this coast at the Whale Watch Inn and the Timber Cove Inn. They have equally wonderful views but are in excellent condition and clean. A good value for the money.

A responsible owner would drop the prices until the remodel and refurbishing is complete.

Room Tip: The North Coast room has an amazing view.
Healdsburg, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed here over 10 years ago, and while the spectacular views haven't changed, the inn is under new management (as of 2 weeks ago).which is updating cottages, hinges, plantings---all the things that are original and timeless, but are being "spruced up" by Ace and his wife(You should see their "to-do" list!)
In addition to a Jacuzzi with a spectacular view in our room. there's a sheltered hot tub (with another spectacular view) outside, closer to the cliffs. Seldom have I wanted to venture outside at night to take advantage of a spot like this, but I'm glad I did! The hotel thoughtfully supplies bathrobes to use to get there and back . Very warm and cozy place , with a cast-iron fireplace to take the chill off the room in the early morning. The buildings are spread between luxurious plantings which must be generations old. Right now, Wi-Fi in the main house only ---and leave your cell-phone in the car. Not great cellphone coverage in Elk- but this is the kid of place you go to get away from it all!! We want to go back soon!

Room Tip: Hate to give our secret away, but our favorite room has been the "Goldfish". each one is u...
arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have an inclination, to provide analysis,on the public's collective opinion. My perspective's will depend on the "sources" and 'responsive hierarchy' of lifestyles...... Many people will constantly be 'perfectionist'; to the extent of being dissatisfied, with everything they encounter....just to broadcast their ego, and reaching for their own 'delightful form ..of providing punishment ,especially': to the ones they consider( below their own narcissistic, or even nepotistic 'self gratification's) ----when you hear, or read about their dissatisfaction's, prior to my comments ..please take heed, and reconsider the sources perspectives.And where their mind is on the food chain .. of mentality. ----Of all the places I have ever traveled , I never had found the management:as attentive, and concerned , more capable of providing, to the utmost concern of hospitality, for our stay...and with such "passion"; that they offered to provide; beyond our expectations... The staffing here also positively excel, without any exceptions. ...As sure :as an "Ace" --<Hospitality> deserves the highest card in the deck at this beautiful location... Signed--- A Faithful,and Trusted, (and will be Returning) Visitor

Room Tip: Good place to relax on my Travels !
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I've read the other reviews and I would say when deciding whether to come here, know yourself and your travel style. i do a lot of business travel in nicer hotels so when I go on vacation i'm really more interested in a property with character, peace and quiet and charm. I felt that Greenwood Pier Inn fit that profile well.

I was warned about the lack of wifi (I don't have to work!) and cell service (ditto!). The view from Whale Room wasn't quite as promised. it had a great view from the balcony and a fairly good one from the lovely large bath tub but from the bed you could only see the trees. I'd choose a different room next time.

But the bed was wonderfully comfortable, the gardens were charming and the whole place felt like I was really getting a break from my hectic life. Come for the peace and you'll get your money's worth. If you want a fancy place with lots of amenities you'll be happier elsewhere.

Room Tip: I'd suggest the south or north tower rooms for the better view. I'd try those next time.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Greenwood Pier Inn? Share your experiences!