“Bad, but par for LAX” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in El Segundo
Reedley, CA
“Bad, but par for LAX”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2007

The most recent trip was our second or third stay there. The room met minimal standards of cleanliness and functionality. The noise wasn't too bad (a pleasant surprise). The staff was surly and the continental breakfast was a joke. I've stayed in four other hotels in the area (same price range, national brands), and they're even worse and no cheaper. The nice thing about this one is that the neighborhood seems a bit safer than the areas north or east of the airport, and it's easier to get to restaurants in Manhattan Beach, which are a lot more pleasant than Denny's et al.

• Liked — Location south of the airport
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2007

My husband and I agreed that this was probably the worst hotel we'd ever stayed in. I did a 3 month tour in the deep south staying in motels, and none came close to being this bad. I can't believe a corporation would put their name on this place. The lights didn't work, there were no extra pillows or blankets to be had, and the rest was just a run down dump. Breakfast pretty awful. What is imitation pancake syrup, anyway? Will never stay at a Travelodge again.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — It was ratty
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Berkeley
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2007

Can't believe I paid $90 for 1 night at this hotel. right off the bat, the night person a the front desk was very rude. I could tell he didn't like his job very much. The room also smelled like mildew and toilet wouldn't stop running so you could hear it all night. It looks like they recently remodeled the place but you can tell they did it as cheaply as possible. When I tried to change rooms the guy at the front desk was once again very rude and told me it was full. You also automatically get charged an extra $5.00 fee for the in-room safe, phone and internet; whether you use it or not! Overall a bad experience.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2007

This is really a 1 star but I didn't rate it 'terrible' because nothing bad happened there and we were there for a 9 hour overnight stopover. It's not a nice motel. Quite awful in fact. The bed was tiny, the decor terrible. There was a dubious substance on the wall next to the bed head (I won't elaborate further on that point). Weirdly though, the room setup wasn't too bad - there was actually a separate sitting area from the bedroom. But you would never, ever stay there other than on an overnight stopover at LAX as it's depressingly awful, but it did us for the night for approximately $50 on Priceline. They did provide pastries in the 'breakfast room' in the morning, plus toast and juice. Also, the shuttle bus had stopped for the night and we didn't have a phone to call on as we were from overseas so we paid $18US to get a cab ($17US from the airport minimum cab fare - and it's practically next door), which was annoying. They did shuttle us back the next morning though. But next time I would book somewhere else- I'm sure there are other better budget ones in the area. That's Priceline for you though - the luck of the draw.

• Liked — Distance to the airport
  • Disliked — Everything else, pretty much.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2007

The worst experience with the front desk. Very UNFRIENDLY. I can't believe these people work at the front desk where they are supposed to help and give excellent customer service. Room condition was below expected. Don't waste your money staying in this hotel.
When asked about internet connection, they said they know more about internet that we do. What kind of answer was that?
I was in a last minute to book a hotel and regretted that I did not read customer reviews. READ REVIEWS.

Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2007

This hotel is absolutely filthy and smells like stale sweat. It's also in a seedy area, which made it a bit scary. Checked in, then checked right back out, once I saw the room.

• Liked — proximity to LAX
  • Disliked — filthy rooms and lobby; rude staff
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2006

Upon arrival at LAX Travelodge South I attempted to check in to my reserved room with Hotwire. I traveled with a good male friend who was a deacon in my church I pastored. I couldn't believe that when I entered the number two in my reservation on Hotwire that it only entitled me to only ONE bed! When I protested, the hotel manager on duty got angry and loud. I called Hotwire cust. service and they were NO help at all! Never, NEVER do business with Hotwire as they do not reveal the name of the motel before purchase is made so you cannot check the reviews of the motel. I ended up driving to Target late at night to get an air mattress to sleep on the floor FOR AN entire WEEK!. NEVER, Never book more than one night until you check out the room, you can always book the remainder after you've checked out the motel. When I walked up the decrepid stairs and walked the wornout hallway I was again surprised at the SMALLNESS of the room. There was barely any room to lay my tiny twin air mattress on the floor!! To make a long story short the small refrigerator didn't work, there were silverfish on the floor, there was banging going on all hours of the night with the other doors slamming...it was like a prison cell for the five nights I stayed. I know I should have not been so frugal and trusted Hotwire to ensure my good room, yet they had rated it two stars and I thought I would be getting a nicer motel chain. Travelodge attempted to charge me 5.00 per night to park my car even though I parked across the street at the vacant Bank of America parking lot! You live and learn, I learned the hard way, for five nights...you get what you pay for!!

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business

Been to Travelodge LAX South? Share your experiences!