“Rude service” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in El Segundo
Seattle, Washington
“Rude service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

When we got there, we got a rude receptionist ( young male ) cutting you off when you asked a question, or even said 'hello'. We then proceed to our room after check-in and it wasn't cleaned yet.

After settling into our new room, we quickly found out that the walls are very thin. You can hear your neighboring guests on either side talking, or using the bathroom....barf. Smells also came through the vent in the bathroom. One person kept smoking and the cigarette stench would fill up our room. Of course I'm not even gonna mention the 'other' smells...

The breakfast isn't exactly 'continental'. Mini bagels, some pastry ( sometimes ) and some cereal. Some of the bagels were stale. But, that's hardly an issue of importance, as you might be able to deduce from the aforementioned grievances.

The rudeness coming from the same particular male receptionist persisted every time he was present and either me or my girlfriend communicated. And this is all coming from one very laid back guest.

As per the establishment itself: it look very old and frail. There's a door to a front little patio area whose door jammed on the awning and the glass window was broken as well. Our room had a missing smoke detector; although there was another one on the wall but it looked ancient and it appears to me to be out of service ( Just horribly old-looking, in bad condition and no led light or anything ).

On the other hand, the cleaning staff were very nice to us and did a wonderful job with the room. And the best they could with the carpets... The carpets were very dirty.

So, given this information from my experience during our stay, I hope you can conclude whether this is an establishment worth staying.

Good luck.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

This was met my needs perfectly for a one night stay before departing the next morning. The room was fine and I slept very well. The breakfast was as described and great for what I wanted (continental). I wouldn't choose to stay here on a weeks holiday in LA but it's great if you have a flight early the next day.

Room Tip: I was on the ground floor which was convenient for me with my luggage although I am sure there are l...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

If you are looking for a cheap hotel for a quick layover at LAX, this hotel is just good enough for that. Room was super small, the location makes it incredibly noisy at any time of day, especially in during the morning, the walls were incredibly thin and we could constantly hear our neighbours next door. The runways for LAX are just blocks away and the constant traffic noise on Sepulveda Ave. makes it quite uncomfortable. Parking is a $5 surcharge if you have a car, if you don't you'll need to take the shuttle van. The shuttle is only scheduled inconveniently every 3 hours or so, and if you request a time other than those scheduled, you're subject to a $15 surcharge per passenger. The only thing good about this hotel is it's close proximity to LAX and it's free wifi which makes it just adequate enough for a 1-night layover if you have a stopover at LAX, but nothing else. And certainly not for more than 1 night.

Room Tip: I don't think any room is good as you really can't get away from the noise and thin walls, b...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Fresno
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

The motel was nice and comfortable only problem was finding parking. Had to pay 5 bucks to park there and I couldn't even find parking .

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Ambler, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

The hotel was close to the airport which was nice. Van that picks you up had a temp sign for hotel and was dirty. The kitchenette was filthy. It was New Years Eve so everything was closed so I stayed in my room walking with my socks on. The next morning I changed my socks only to discover the old pair was black with dirt.

Staff was ok and room was cheap but hotel needs a good wash. Was greeted with a sign that said, "Marry Christmas"

Room Tip: Nothing to offer
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed here on 1 January 2014. I prefer the chain hotels closer to LAX but for 1 Jan in holiday season either expensive or full when I wanted to do a booking at short notice.

I first thought it would not be the best when I called on the phone. The guy on the front desk was arrogant and talking over me. The shuttle only took a few minutes, however, after the phone call.

Check-in procedure fine but room not the best. Could hear the people talking in the next room. Took ages to get connected to the Wifi.

There was a bath in the room but no plug. Plugs are not very expensive and given that many people would rather take a bath than a shower after a long flight this is an area for improvement.

They offer a breakfast and even have a waffle machine which is something different.

They will pick you up by a shuttle from LAX. They, however, are not so generous on the return trip. There are set times in the morning and early afternoon. Some with quite a gap. Outside the scheduled times they want $15. That is $15 plus tip. Quite expensive for the short distance.

Check out not the best this morning. The person at the front desk was telling two girls that their bags are very big and too big to go out the back. I have travelled extensively and the bags did not look too big to me. Also, I have never heard a hotel tell a guest that their bags are too big and then questioning if there had been an offer to store the bags for the day in the first place.

Staff at this hotel need some training on customer service and communicating with their guests. It is about the customer and not them.

I have stayed at a few Travel Lodges before and this one is not the best. The others were better. I will not stay at this one again. I would rather pay a bit more to be closer to the airport with better service and more frequent shuttle services to the airport.

Room Tip: Be careful. Can hear people in the next room and when walk down the corridor can hear people in the...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Been to Travelodge LAX South? Share your experiences!