“Avoid it!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Indian Flat Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in El Portal
Indian Flat Campground
Save Saved
You added Indian Flat Campground to your Saves list
9988 Highway 140, El Portal, CA 95318   |
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Avoid it!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

If I could rate it less I certainly would! Unfortunately I arrived late and the last campground in Yosemite was full so I was forced to look outside the park and found Indian Flat. This is truly the worst campground I've ever camped at in my life! Extremely ill kept, dirty and awfully dusty, the toilet facilities are insufficient and filthy, and the showers are putrid. The only reason people stay is because it's the only facility just out of Yosemite and clearly the owner takes advantage of it, charging 25$ per night for one tent! My advice? Plan ahead and reserve inside Yosemite Park, you won't regret it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Let's start with the good stuff. There's a nice pool on the neighbouring property that campground customers can use. This place is also just 30 minutes from Yosemite Valley. That's where the good stuff ends.
This place is dusty and dingy. The toilets and showers are old and scungy. A fellow camper advised us to use the outdoor showers because at least you know they'd been cleaned...by rainfall.
There's no cell phone reception here. The pay phone was out of order. No surprise. Don't even dream about wifi!
Our RV was put on a site 15 feet from the shower block. We could hear the conversations as people were taking their showers. Our picnic table was 6 feet from the shower block. Let's just say there was a passing parade as we ate our dinner. We politely asked if there might be another spot to park our RV. Our request was met with complete indifference.
The only reason you would stay here is if you want to be really close to Yosemite Valley.
Our experience when checking in sums up our stay at this place. As we pulled up at reception, the reception attendant had just started taking out the trash. Instead of turning back a few feet and checking us in, she walked right on past us and straight to the dumpster. That says it all. This place treats its rubbish better than its guests.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Mesa, AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I will say this cabin has a lot of potential because the outside is so cute. The inside is one of those places where you wear flip flips to shower and feel grossed out sleeping on the bed. Everything feels old and dirty and needs to be remodeled. The first thing I noticed was the musty old smell when you walk in. There was food left in the sink strainer and the toilet paper holder was broken and the paper kept falling on the floor. We saved some money by using the kitchen instead of eating out but BRING YOUR OWN PLATES & paper towels & especially a new sponge. There was a nasty used sponge in the sink for your use. The pots and pans and dishes all need to be replaced. There is a newspaper holding up one leg of the table to balance it. There was a stain on the sheet which looked like blood. The only good thing was it was near the White Water Rafting but so is the hotel right next door which I'm sure is much nicer. We regret staying here and couldn't wait to leave.

Room Tip: You are right next to the bathrooms & showers, so you got to see everyone as they entered to use...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dedham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

For RV camping near Yosemite Valley, Indian Flat Campground is quite good. It has full water + electricity + sewer hookups. It's also about a 5-10 minute drive outside the park entrance, and I didn't see any RV camping on 140 that was closer, so if you're coming or going on that route it's very convenient.

One major complaint I have about this campground, though, is the showers. There's a single shower unit in each of the men's and women's bathrooms, and two additional units on the other end of the bathroom building. These are the ones you want to use. You do NOT want to use the makeshift outside shower units behind the bathroom building. All you get are three walls, a door, two hooks, the shower head and controls, and a concrete floor. There is literally NOTHING else - no roof, no mats, no benches or shelves. There isn't even a drain in the floor - the water runs out a small gap between the wall and the floor. And if you're showering in the evening, make sure that you're done before the sun goes down because there is no illumination provided other than the sun. I have attached some photos of this shower area so you can see how bad it is.

If you have an RV, just take your shower in your unit. Fortunately, this is pretty doable thanks to the electricity/water hookups.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Good place to camp near Yosemite, had two nights here, short drive back into the park, orite diner next door, good food, beer, hotel witch you can use their pool and jacuzzi, Definitely would go back,

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Harrisonburg, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We needed a tent site as near as possible to the entrance of Yosemite and chose this one sight unseen. Won't be returning. We found tiny tent lots on hard packed dirt, neighbors 10 feet away on both sides, and constant dust swirling in the air. There were two mens' toilets for the entire packed campsite.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I like Indian Flat RV Park when I've stayed in a tent, though it can be very noisy and management doesn't enforce the noise rules. But the last time I stayed there, I stayed in a Tent Cabin and came home with Bed Bugs!!!! I had noticed that I was getting these strange bites when I sat on the mattresses of the Tent Cabin, but didn't think much about it. By the time I got home, after staying there a week, the area where your skin touches the surface when you sit, was covered with welted bites, in threes (classic bed bugs)! I had to treat my entire home and garage! It took weeks!!! Weeks of washing, using Diatomaceous Earth. etc. I will never stay in one of their tent cabins or any of their cabins again!!! BEWARE OF BED BUGS!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Indian Flat Campground? Share your experiences!