“Rock Cabin- AVOID THIS” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Indian Flat Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in El Portal
Indian Flat Campground
9988 Highway 140, El Portal, CA 95318   |
Mesa, AZ
“Rock Cabin- AVOID THIS”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I will say this cabin has a lot of potential because the outside is so cute. The inside is one of those places where you wear flip flips to shower and feel grossed out sleeping on the bed. Everything feels old and dirty and needs to be remodeled. The first thing I noticed was the musty old smell when you walk in. There was food left in the sink strainer and the toilet paper holder was broken and the paper kept falling on the floor. We saved some money by using the kitchen instead of eating out but BRING YOUR OWN PLATES & paper towels & especially a new sponge. There was a nasty used sponge in the sink for your use. The pots and pans and dishes all need to be replaced. There is a newspaper holding up one leg of the table to balance it. There was a stain on the sheet which looked like blood. The only good thing was it was near the White Water Rafting but so is the hotel right next door which I'm sure is much nicer. We regret staying here and couldn't wait to leave.

Room Tip: You are right next to the bathrooms & showers, so you got to see everyone as they entered to use...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dedham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

For RV camping near Yosemite Valley, Indian Flat Campground is quite good. It has full water + electricity + sewer hookups. It's also about a 5-10 minute drive outside the park entrance, and I didn't see any RV camping on 140 that was closer, so if you're coming or going on that route it's very convenient.

One major complaint I have about this campground, though, is the showers. There's a single shower unit in each of the men's and women's bathrooms, and two additional units on the other end of the bathroom building. These are the ones you want to use. You do NOT want to use the makeshift outside shower units behind the bathroom building. All you get are three walls, a door, two hooks, the shower head and controls, and a concrete floor. There is literally NOTHING else - no roof, no mats, no benches or shelves. There isn't even a drain in the floor - the water runs out a small gap between the wall and the floor. And if you're showering in the evening, make sure that you're done before the sun goes down because there is no illumination provided other than the sun. I have attached some photos of this shower area so you can see how bad it is.

If you have an RV, just take your shower in your unit. Fortunately, this is pretty doable thanks to the electricity/water hookups.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Good place to camp near Yosemite, had two nights here, short drive back into the park, orite diner next door, good food, beer, hotel witch you can use their pool and jacuzzi, Definitely would go back,

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Harrisonburg, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We needed a tent site as near as possible to the entrance of Yosemite and chose this one sight unseen. Won't be returning. We found tiny tent lots on hard packed dirt, neighbors 10 feet away on both sides, and constant dust swirling in the air. There were two mens' toilets for the entire packed campsite.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I like Indian Flat RV Park when I've stayed in a tent, though it can be very noisy and management doesn't enforce the noise rules. But the last time I stayed there, I stayed in a Tent Cabin and came home with Bed Bugs!!!! I had noticed that I was getting these strange bites when I sat on the mattresses of the Tent Cabin, but didn't think much about it. By the time I got home, after staying there a week, the area where your skin touches the surface when you sit, was covered with welted bites, in threes (classic bed bugs)! I had to treat my entire home and garage! It took weeks!!! Weeks of washing, using Diatomaceous Earth. etc. I will never stay in one of their tent cabins or any of their cabins again!!! BEWARE OF BED BUGS!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Riverside, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

Indian Flats is in a great location for those who want to visit Yosemite National Park. It is the closest RV park to the west entrance and a short 30 minutes from Yosemite Valley. You can take the local YARTS bus system to the valley from the lodge next door for a small fee then take the free shuttles inside the park. We camped in a motorhome and since the busses were available, their was no need to tow a car. However, Indian Flats is an old, run down park and the people who run it could care less. They truly act as if they know that you are stuck with them due to their great location. If you have an option of towing a vehicle then I suggest camping at one of the nicer parks before the city of El Portal. Unless, you are one of the lucky ones that can reserve a dry camp site inside the National Park. Besides full hook-ups, you literally get nothing else for your $60.00 per night. There is no play park, no fires allowed on the RV sites, restrooms are not fit for humans, and the only pool available is next door at the lodge. Of course the only way to get there is to hike across a small creek at the back of the park. As for the employees, they would not even allow me to make an 800 number phone call from their office phone as cell service is not available in El Portal. They had no knowledge of anything useful in Yosemite. I was lucky enough to receive information from a housekeeper who has lived in the area for 20 years.

• Stayed July 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

We just spent 3 days and nights (7-9-2012 thru 7-12-2012) at Indian Flat RV Park with the Family... The wife and two kids (ages 10 and 14), and I decided to make Indian Flat our base camp for our trip to Yosemite National Park.

Gotta say it was a great time considering that it was averaging 100 degrees everyday but the Merced River was there to help forget about the heat for all of us!

Monday arrived at 11am, checked in, unpacked, hit the river, had a blast, cooked burgers back at tent cabin, relaxed, went to sleep.

Tuesday woke up early ate a simple breakfast, was on the road to Yosemite for our 8.30 am tour to Glacier Point and 4 mile hike down. Drove back to Indian Flat, hit the river, cooked ribs at tent cabin, relaxed til bed time.

Wenesday woke up had breakfast buffet at hotel next door which was ok, hit the river all day to swim and catch fish, had dinner great dinner at Yosemite View Lodge up towards the enterance of Yosemite, packed up a little, relaxed till bed time.

Thursday woke up, packed the 2012 Ford Escape then hit the road back to Los Angeles!

This was our Families first simi-camping experience and we decided to rent out the 1 of 5 Tent Cabins they have in the campground. Ours was nestled behind the office building against the hillside and shaded from the afternoon sun.

The Tent Cabin was pretty simple with no running water or electricity which we expected, a wooden frame with a thick tent material, solid wooden floors, 3 sliding windows with screens and a front door with sliding window and screen, and 2 twin size beds which each of our kids claimed so we were able to fit a queen sized inflatable bed which fit between the twin beds just perfect with NO walking space in between the beds so we got in from the foot of all beds which was fine.

There was still plenty of room for our little camping tables and all our individual duffle bags with clothes, and crates of food and other camping gear! Though I had to get creative with the space it was great and used the space wisely!

Directly outside our door was our ample sized patio area with out own picnic table and where we kept out cooler and Smokey Joe Grill where we cooked our burgers the first night, beef and pork ribs the second night with a surprise catch of the day... A Rainbow Trout I caught right across the road in the Merced River (using another visitors fishing pole) which happens to be the swimming hole we all used! I was so excited about catch my first ever Trout and it was delisious!

I was so excited about catching my first trout we decided to stay at the Merced River all day to swim and catch trout. The problem is I didn't have a fishing pole or gear! I spoke to a fellow visitor and he told me how his 10 year old caught a trout with a fishing line on his finger and a hook and worm! So thanks to Keith from the Indian Flat office he gave me about 7' of fishing line and a small hook, I tied the line to a small stick and using Periwinkles I caught in the river as bait, I ended up catching 5 nice sized trout and my Son caught his first for a total of 6 trouts! That was AWESOME!

I've read the complaints and think that the people are way off base with there expectations... that's not to say that what they experienced wasn't true but I was told what to expect by the staff at Indian Flat RV Park. I was told of cancelation fees, I was told about the options I had available from fully functional cabins, to whine Tent Cabin we chose for this trip! The staff were nice and found them to be helpful and direct with everything.

We DEFINATLY plan to return to Indian Flat and will upgrade to the full functional Cabin! I saw what the Rock Cabin looked like and it was nice!

I would also park an RV there, but know that YES they do try to fit as many rv's as possible and it can be crowded!

I would also rent a Tent Cabin there again as long as it one of the ones behind the office!

I would NEVER bring my own tent and camp there, it just doesn't seem like the place to do it, its too hot and exposed to the sun!

We never had any problem with using any of the bathrooms or showers or sinks to wash our cooking stuff even though there were a lot of people there. Timing is everything!

The place was clean, yes the place has dirt and can be dusty because of vehicles pulling in and out but we really never were affected by it at our site!

I can go on detailing everything but I think you got the gist of our time there! I'll see how many photos I can post here but I'll be posting photos on my FB and maybe on Flickr.com, just search Indian Flat Yosemite!

If you have any questions call Keith or Don at Indian Flat RV office and I'm sure they'll do the best to answer them as they did with us!

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Indian Flat Campground? Share your experiences!