“Location is the Only Thing This Place Has Going For It” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Indian Flat Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in El Portal
Prices are for rooms, adults
Indian Flat Campground
Save Saved
You added Indian Flat Campground to your Saves list
9988 Highway 140, El Portal, CA 95318   |
Riverside, California
“Location is the Only Thing This Place Has Going For It”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

Indian Flats is in a great location for those who want to visit Yosemite National Park. It is the closest RV park to the west entrance and a short 30 minutes from Yosemite Valley. You can take the local YARTS bus system to the valley from the lodge next door for a small fee then take the free shuttles inside the park. We camped in a motorhome and since the busses were available, their was no need to tow a car. However, Indian Flats is an old, run down park and the people who run it could care less. They truly act as if they know that you are stuck with them due to their great location. If you have an option of towing a vehicle then I suggest camping at one of the nicer parks before the city of El Portal. Unless, you are one of the lucky ones that can reserve a dry camp site inside the National Park. Besides full hook-ups, you literally get nothing else for your $60.00 per night. There is no play park, no fires allowed on the RV sites, restrooms are not fit for humans, and the only pool available is next door at the lodge. Of course the only way to get there is to hike across a small creek at the back of the park. As for the employees, they would not even allow me to make an 800 number phone call from their office phone as cell service is not available in El Portal. They had no knowledge of anything useful in Yosemite. I was lucky enough to receive information from a housekeeper who has lived in the area for 20 years.

• Stayed July 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

We just spent 3 days and nights (7-9-2012 thru 7-12-2012) at Indian Flat RV Park with the Family... The wife and two kids (ages 10 and 14), and I decided to make Indian Flat our base camp for our trip to Yosemite National Park.

Gotta say it was a great time considering that it was averaging 100 degrees everyday but the Merced River was there to help forget about the heat for all of us!

Monday arrived at 11am, checked in, unpacked, hit the river, had a blast, cooked burgers back at tent cabin, relaxed, went to sleep.

Tuesday woke up early ate a simple breakfast, was on the road to Yosemite for our 8.30 am tour to Glacier Point and 4 mile hike down. Drove back to Indian Flat, hit the river, cooked ribs at tent cabin, relaxed til bed time.

Wenesday woke up had breakfast buffet at hotel next door which was ok, hit the river all day to swim and catch fish, had dinner great dinner at Yosemite View Lodge up towards the enterance of Yosemite, packed up a little, relaxed till bed time.

Thursday woke up, packed the 2012 Ford Escape then hit the road back to Los Angeles!

This was our Families first simi-camping experience and we decided to rent out the 1 of 5 Tent Cabins they have in the campground. Ours was nestled behind the office building against the hillside and shaded from the afternoon sun.

The Tent Cabin was pretty simple with no running water or electricity which we expected, a wooden frame with a thick tent material, solid wooden floors, 3 sliding windows with screens and a front door with sliding window and screen, and 2 twin size beds which each of our kids claimed so we were able to fit a queen sized inflatable bed which fit between the twin beds just perfect with NO walking space in between the beds so we got in from the foot of all beds which was fine.

There was still plenty of room for our little camping tables and all our individual duffle bags with clothes, and crates of food and other camping gear! Though I had to get creative with the space it was great and used the space wisely!

Directly outside our door was our ample sized patio area with out own picnic table and where we kept out cooler and Smokey Joe Grill where we cooked our burgers the first night, beef and pork ribs the second night with a surprise catch of the day... A Rainbow Trout I caught right across the road in the Merced River (using another visitors fishing pole) which happens to be the swimming hole we all used! I was so excited about catch my first ever Trout and it was delisious!

I was so excited about catching my first trout we decided to stay at the Merced River all day to swim and catch trout. The problem is I didn't have a fishing pole or gear! I spoke to a fellow visitor and he told me how his 10 year old caught a trout with a fishing line on his finger and a hook and worm! So thanks to Keith from the Indian Flat office he gave me about 7' of fishing line and a small hook, I tied the line to a small stick and using Periwinkles I caught in the river as bait, I ended up catching 5 nice sized trout and my Son caught his first for a total of 6 trouts! That was AWESOME!

I've read the complaints and think that the people are way off base with there expectations... that's not to say that what they experienced wasn't true but I was told what to expect by the staff at Indian Flat RV Park. I was told of cancelation fees, I was told about the options I had available from fully functional cabins, to whine Tent Cabin we chose for this trip! The staff were nice and found them to be helpful and direct with everything.

We DEFINATLY plan to return to Indian Flat and will upgrade to the full functional Cabin! I saw what the Rock Cabin looked like and it was nice!

I would also park an RV there, but know that YES they do try to fit as many rv's as possible and it can be crowded!

I would also rent a Tent Cabin there again as long as it one of the ones behind the office!

I would NEVER bring my own tent and camp there, it just doesn't seem like the place to do it, its too hot and exposed to the sun!

We never had any problem with using any of the bathrooms or showers or sinks to wash our cooking stuff even though there were a lot of people there. Timing is everything!

The place was clean, yes the place has dirt and can be dusty because of vehicles pulling in and out but we really never were affected by it at our site!

I can go on detailing everything but I think you got the gist of our time there! I'll see how many photos I can post here but I'll be posting photos on my FB and maybe on Flickr.com, just search Indian Flat Yosemite!

If you have any questions call Keith or Don at Indian Flat RV office and I'm sure they'll do the best to answer them as they did with us!

• Stayed July 2012
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Dusty, dusty, dusty!! The space for our 5th wheet was so small, we were forced to put the picnic table literally in the dirt drive way and sit in swirling dust everytime someone drove thru. The so-called bbq for our space was not only in the far back corner for the space but the bottom was completly burned out making it totally unusable. The "cable" gave us one channel and we were never advised that we not only could use the pool at the hotel next door but that we could also have used the laundry facility at the hotel down the road.

The positives: proximinty to Yosemite and then we had great neighbors! We all felt like we were sitting in a bad dream having to camp there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed in the stone cabin which is really cool looking from the outside (built in 1938) but just like a motel room on the inside so you don't have any real sense that you're staying in a cabin. We were looking for reasonable accomodations close to Yosemite and this fit the bill. The cabin itselt was clean and comfortable. It's right in the middle of everything at the RV park so when you step outside what could have been pretty view is obscured by RVs. We'd stay here again just because of the price-it was ok.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Banos
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

My husband, two of our kids and I neeed a place to camp while attending a festival in Mariposa. I wasn't expecting a state park camping experience by any means, but this was ridiculous. The rate I was quoted ended up being for two people, so to my surprise I was charged extra for each kid. We were assigned our spot which was probably 10ft wide by 20ft long if that. Someone else compared it to an unpaved parking lot, which is pretty much dead on. There i sone bathroom for the whole place and the quiet hours are not enforced. The first night there we had neighbors check in and set up camp after 10pm. They were loud and decided they wanted to video tape and take pictures of their late night set up, so as we were trying to sleep we were "treated" to the flash of their camera going off in non-stop until I finally said something.

If you need a quick place to stay along your way to Yosemite or wherever, it will do, but I would never choose this as a place to go "camping".

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Don't stop at Indian Flats RV Park for any reason....keep going ....this is a DIRTY...DUSTY place to stay. This is nothing more than a parking lot. Dust is flying everywhere and the people who work there barrel through without any thought for anyone in the little carts. Yes you can walk to the pool but even that wasn't clean and the pathway is very dangerous. Look for a better place to stay this place is not what it pretends to be.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
santra cruz
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

loud dusty campground by the highway, greedy owner will not give a refund even if you never set up tent..avoid this place!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Indian Flat Campground? Share your experiences!