“Website very misleading, not impressed at all” 3 of 5 stars

Cedar Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9966 Highway 140, PO Box C, El Portal, CA 95318   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in El Portal
London, United Kingdom
“Website very misleading, not impressed at all”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Having toured the States this year I have stayed in a variety of locations offering different types of accommodation. I have been able to speak highly of every place I have stayed and have been very impressed with the level of service offered in the States. Keeping this in mind I hope I do not sound too unfair or picky when I say what a disappointment Cedar lodge was. The rooms are large but very outdated and dark. I arrived to a dirty sheet on my bed . I was told the nearest ATM was 7 miles away.I was then told the laundry was 7 miles away. When I asked about breakfast I was pointed in the direction of the cafe and told "over there ,another company, nothing to do with us "The cafe to their credit tried their best but everything was fried. The restaurant served the cafe food with the odd change and charged twice as much for it . The shop was full of tat and very little food.The swimming pool was a great size and temperature,however it needed painting. The hot tub had holes in the floor and black marks showing through. The pool side furniture was old ,dirty and broken. The staff all looked thoroughly miffed but I do not blame them.The biggest con was the wi fi it cost a fortune and yet in every other location I have stayed at ,even the lowliest of Motels they were able to offer wi fi .I appreciate I was close to Yosemite but that in itself made this situation even worse, I felt throughout my stay that I had to put up and shut up because I had no choice . Very unimpressed with the attitude and it did not show the States in a good light . If I can offer some advise if you must stay here take some clean sheets ,do not expect to be able to obtain money and do your washing prior to arrival and most important ,take loads of food .What a pity I will remember Yosemite for loads of wrong reasons

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you can
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

1,156 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I'm not sure about some of the other reviewers expectations for a motel that is located this close to the park, some of the reviews had me outright nervous for choosing Cedar Lodge, but this place was so much better than I expected. It is a good location as a base for your Yosemite adventures. Overall I am glad we stayed here and I would definitely come back to this location for another stay at Yosemite.

We stayed here for a few days for a late fall getaway as a family (6 in all). We had a Junior Suite, which is basically a one bedroom apartment. Dated, yes, but clean. There is a kitchen with full size fridge - we cooked diner for two of the three nights we stayed. Can't speak to the onsite restaurant/bar - our one night out we had diner up the road located at the other hotel. On arrival we noticed a hinge to the bathroom door was broken, we let the front desk know and they fixed it right away, other than that, the room was clean and roomy. The heaters warmed the room right up. There was an indoor pool which the kids looked forward to swimming in every night, and we mostly had it to ourselves which was nice. This place is about a 20 minute drive from the park, the other motel is closer, but did not have the facilities we wanted as a family - a kitchen and the ability to stay in one room. There is a small onsite store, but you can also get food and supplies at the El Portal market about 5-10 minutes up the road.

Room Tip: Bring coffee and filters, if you like a good cup in the morning.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

All staff were efficient and friendly. Our room at Cedar lodge was quiet, clean and practical. We had a nice shared decked area outside our room ideal for an evening drink. Only two dining options available at this hotel, so book a table on arrival as it can get busy - would recommend the restaurant rather than the bar area. Good choice of food, reasonably priced.
Good location, only a 20 min picturesque drive to the edge of the National Park.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wiltshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Cedar Lodge is a motel. It is well run, the staff are helpful, the pool warm and the location 10 miles west of the Highway 140 Yosemite NP entrance is very convenient. If you don't have a car (we did) the bus stops here on the way to the park. Rooms are a little dated but otherwise comfortable and spacious.

Our only problem was that during our stay (winter/midweek) the restaurant wasn't open in the evenings, so the only dining option was the fries-with-everything bar menu - which would be ok for 1 night but hard work if you are staying longer. The nearest alternative was 10 miles away. Earlier in the year you could simply stay in the park and eat there, but in November it gets dark and cold too early to hang around.

Charging 9$ a day for wifi seems a bit mean, especially as it is only available in the lobby - I guess it shows how little competition there is.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights as part of our San Fran to LA road trip. Driving there was slightly daunting (first time driving in US) as there are lots of twists and turns but the Cedar Lodge sign all lit up, the cute bear statues and rustic feel of the hotel was very welcome.

The staff at reception are great and give you all the info you need to know - free coffee in the reception area is great but the wi-fi you pay to use fir 24 hours at a time in the reception is pretty bad lol. Be prepared to stay a while to get anything done.

Our room was fine, it was functional and warm, the noise from the shower/cistern unit in the room bleow was pretty loud but overall the room was fine and what you needed after a few hours hking in the park.

The drive to the park was around 15 - 20 mins but we didn;t mind as it was quicker than taking the shuttle bus and meant we could leave when we wanted without having to wait.

The restaurant and bar in the hotel were fine - lots of fried food on offer so don't expect too much in the way of healthy options or vegetarian options, but the breakfast in the mornings were amazing and i would go back for the bacon, cinnamon french toast and their coffee alone!

Racoons playing in the car park area at night, pretty surroundings and a nice pool added to our experience at Cedar Lodge and despite a slightly odd toy bear collection in reception (you'll know what i mean when you see it!) i would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here mainly due to everywhere else being booked up as we visited during summer holidays. We weren't expecting much as it only has a 2 star rating, however we were pleasantly surprised as our room was big and clean, with a hot tub! The on site services were good value for money; shop, restaurant, bar etc. The access to the park is easy, and only 10-15 minute scenic drive away. Pay once and you have a weeks access. We found it nice to relax around the pool as the sun was going down after a day of scrambling up waterfalls etc. The only thing we regret is not staying here longer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This place has had some bad reviews but from our experience somewhat undeserved. The hotel has a great location. The rooms are large and comfortable (not a bed bug in sight) and the facilities are adequate. Can't comment about wi-fi - We're on holiday so who gives a ...! The food is OK without being brilliant. We had a problem with the air -con which was fixed while we were out on the day it was reported so no problem there. Staff were polite and efficient, do you need more? This was our second visit and we would not hesitate in staying there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cedar Lodge? Share your experiences!