“Great price room, expensive food, ok location, great swimming pool” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cedar Lodge

You added Cedar Lodge to your Saves list
Cedar Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9966 Highway 140, PO Box C, El Portal, CA 95318   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in El Portal
“Great price room, expensive food, ok location, great swimming pool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012 via mobile

Cant argue with the price of the room. Poor service from reception staff. Restaurant was average and expensive, but the only local option. Indoor swimming pool was great. Hotel is outside El Portal, and about 10 miles from park entrance. Good cheap accommodation.

Stayed March 2012
cedar002, General Manager at Cedar Lodge, responded to this review, April 8, 2012
Thank you for the review. We will make reception our top propriety to improve. We look forward to your return visit. I will let the owner of restaurant know about your review.

Thanks
Colleen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

We booked to stay here for three nights (only made it for two nights as there was a road closure and we had to sleep in the car overnight....a long story.Will try and leave details elsewhere on Trip Advisor).

We were umm-ing and ahh-ing over Yosemite View Lodge over this one. Am so glad we went with the Cedar Loadge as it's only ax extra 7 minute drive to get into the Park (you drive past the Yosemite View Lodge from Cedar to get into the Park) and from the outside, Yosemite View Lodge didn't even look that much better. The prices we were finding would mean we would save £100 over the three nights by staying at the Cedar Lodge rather than Yosemite View Lodge.

Yes, the furniture, bedding etc seems rather dated - this wasn't an issue to ourselves. I think this wans't an issue because we had read reviews on Trip Advisor and prepared ourselves accordingly.

The shower was AMAZING. It was so much better than our hotel in Vegas. The shower was brilliant.

The location was brilliant. There is a bus service in the car park of the Lodge that takes you directly into the Park and means you wouldn't need to pay your entrance fee to enter the Park. We were driving and it only took around 15-20ish minutes max to get to the Park gates. Then another 10-15ish minutes to drive around - but you would need to drive around that long even if you were staying within the Park.

We had breakfast only once as it starts from 7.30am and we had to check-out arond 7am the next day. The break was fine. I wouldn't say it was amazing, but it was fine. We had dinner the The Grill (next door to the restaurant where breakfast is served). The food was lovely. They advertise it to close at 8.30pm, however, the lovely waiter (possibly even owner) was running around everywhere, serving everyone (seriously was a one man team, with maybe one or two chefs) and a couple asked if they were late arriving at 8.30 and he said 'I can't say no to customers...come on in' - I asked him about his times and he said if it's busy, he's happy to stay open until9, 10, 11...I'm sure it's not the case every evening, but there definitely is flexibility. We loved the food here.

The gift shop (next to the Lobby) is extortionate. I brought magnets for my mum from Vegas and San Fransico for around $2-4. Here the magnets were like $9!! I still brought a couple because I'm a mug, but thinking back to it, I wouldn't have spent that much on those magnets if I wasn't rushing around.

Hope you have a lovely stay here...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write the review. I'm so glad you have a good stay. We Just received a new shipment of magnets with different price ranges. We hope to have you stay with us again.

Thanks
Colleen Griffin
Manager Cedar Lodge
Lake Hughes, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

The location is good, less than ten minutes from Yosemite entrance. It's nice that it has an indoor AND outdoor pool, plus and indoor jacuzzi.

The food from the bar & grill was really good, but the restaurant's was not great, and extremely overpriced, even with the $4 salad bar price added on to everything, the salad bar was poor as well (I could get a better salad at McDonalds). Thankfully there was a refridgerator in the room, so we didn't have to eat breakfast or lunch at the hotel, as we brought milk and other food to put in the fridge. There was not a coffee pot in our room or our friends' room, and the coffee in the lobby was often empty, and always bad.

The wifi was not free (ridiculous), and it was only accessible in the lobby.

Room Tip: ask if your room has a coffee pot and fridge, some do, others don't.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Berkeley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

I booked a room for two nights in Cedar Lodge, but due to a car accident could not arrive on time, so I was late one day. I called to the hotel right after the accident to ask them to move my reservation to one day later and they said that they could easily do it. However when I arrived they said that they did not tell me anything and the night I did not stay in the hotel cannot be used any other time. The lodge was far from being full and they could have easily extended my stay without charging me twice, however they try to make money on everything. There is no breakfast, no wifi in the rooms! So if you can, stay in the other hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these El Portal hotels

Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

This is a motel campus, 6 buildings of rooms plus a gift shop, indoor and outdoor pools, restaurant, bar & grill, and many bear sculptures spotted around the property. There is a Yosemite Regional Transportation System (YARTS) bus stop on the property so you can get to Yosemite Valley by public transportation if you choose. (You can also take YARTS from the Merced Amtrak station to Cedar Lodge and may other locations—www.yarts.com)

Our room, 2 queens, was pleasantly decorated and at first glance appeared well kept and clean. But a large scattering of what appeared to be dried toothpaste on the floor and part of the wall in the bathroom showed that the bathroom had been inadequately cleaned.

Walking across the floor, it was obvious that the sound would transmit to the downstairs room.

There were no wash clothes only hand and bath towels.

The mattresses and pillows are extremely firm.

Heating and cooling is supplied by a standard manually operated blower mounted on the wall under the window. Once you turn the unit it on the loud blower stays on all the time. In our room the air went up behind the draperies (see photo). There are visible gaps at the bottom and top of the door so the room.

Cedar Lodge offers internet access in the motel lobby and charges $9 (no internet access in the rooms). There are several upholstered chairs, a couch and a coffee table but no desks in the lobby. They offer wifi only so unless you have a person VPN don't do anything involving secure information. There is no data coverage anywhere near Yosemite (so you won't be able to get internet over your cell plan) and very limited cell phone coverage in certain areas including Yosemite Valley

Nearly all the rooms face North or South and so are dark even with the curtains open. In our room the light switch inside the door wass connected to a bedside lamp across the room. When we used the lamp at night and turned it off by it's switch we needed tot remember to turn it back on in the morning and then flip the wall switch before leaving the room so we would be able to use the wall switch when we returned in the evening.

We ate breakfast twice in the restaurant. The staff was very nice, the food was good, classic country breakfast options—fluffy pancakes, good orange juice from concentrate, the sausage had a bit too much pepper for our tastes, a fresh strawberry gave the plate a little panache.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

On a recent trip to Yosemite we stayed at the Cedar lodge. We booked three rooms. We were all sad to hear that the rooms did not have Wifi or cell service, but we were on vacation and could get by without it. Next when we did get into our rooms my brothers room was not even cleaned. The beds were undone and the bathroom was a mess. When we called the front desk they said they would see what they could do as housekeeping had left for the day. 15 minutes later a man with sheets came up into the room and proceeded to change out the sheets. I told my brother this was unacceptable and he talked to the guy. He asked the guy if they could stay in another room that was clean like the one next door. The guy said sure and went next door unlocked it and said here you go. The room that he was given had a phone and TV that didn't work. My parents room had a lock that was broken and this made my mom really uncomfortable.

We ate at the diner one night and other then the servers that were confused about our order the food was alright. We had big hopes the last morning of our trip for a warm breakfast. Unfortunately it had snowed so the cook didn't make it in and we got stuck with toast and fruit and pastrys from the day before. It was $5.95 per person for even my three year old. We had no choice but to eat here as we had to feed the kids and the next place to stop and get food was in Marioposa. I had big hopes for this place but in the future I will save my money and stay in the park itself.

• Stayed March 2012
Santa Cruz
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

We stayed here after purchasing a Groupon deal for March. The positives are - location to Yosemite - about a 15 minute drive that is spectacular, beautiful surroundings, indoor pool - was closed, but still a nice ammenity, bar and grill - not a lot of food choices close by, rooms clean and hotel nicely kept. The not so positives - Stay on the top floor because you can hear every step, rooms dark so if it is not a sunny day hard to read or see in the room, food in bar and grill leaves something to be desired, but it was a really fun atmosphere - and there was very few of us there midweek off season and they put us all in rooms next to each other. Not that I mind having people around, but because the walls are hear-through it would have been nice to skip a room between us. What made this acceptable was the great deal we got on the room price.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cedar Lodge? Share your experiences!