“Never Again” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in El Portal
Clifton, Texas
“Never Again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This motel is in desperate need of a new manager, one who has an inkling about providing customer service. On a recent visit with a tour group, I checked into my room at about 5pm and noticed the room was very hot so I adjusted the A/C setting to help cool the room. There was a beautiful view in the rear from the balcony of the Merced River and I looked forward to spending some time on the balcony after dinner. My wife and I went to the restaurant, each had a cheeseburger platter and a salad. The tab with tip was $46. The cheeseburger was good but not worth the $14.99 it cost. No biggie, this is, after all a tourist area.
We returned to the room and it was as miserable as it had been an hour earlier, like an oven.
I called the front desk and let the phone ring at least twenty times, no answer. I waited about five minutes, called the front desk again , let it ring at least twenty times, no answer.
I waited a few minutes, called again and counted the rings. After ninety-three rings with no answer I hung the phone up and walked the couple hundred yards to the lobby. I walked in and saw about three people helping customers and one individual standing unoccupied. He asked if he could help me. I replied that he could have helped by answering the phone when it rang. He replied that "we have been very busy" I explained that my A/C wasn't working and after consulting with another person there, he told me he would send a maintenance man right away. I thanked him and returned to my room. After about thirty minutes nobody showed up. I tried calling again, no answer. Finally a man showed up walked into the room, looked at the A/C settings and told me he would get me another room in the same building. Then he called the front desk. Surprise, Surprise, no answer. He left and said he would bring me another room key. I never saw him again. Finally I found out the tour director's room number and called her. She went to the front desk and was told "We have been very busy". finally after about three hours I was put in another room, in another building, not overlooking the river and that was fine. I just wanted someone to give a hoot . It seems ridiculous that "We have been busy" makes everything ok. If the building is on fire, if there is a guest having a heart attack, if there is a shooting in the parking lot, that's ok if you can't contact the front desk because they have, after all, " been busy". I feel confidant that the owner of this hotel would not find this excuse acceptable. I would drive three days to avoid ever being stuck in this place again.

Room Tip: Drive past it as fast as you can.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband and I recently spent a lovely June week enjoying Yosemite with Yosemite View Lodge as our home base - we were very satisfied. The property was clean, the staff was professional, the rates were reasonable, and the facilities more than met our expectations.

The complex has two restaurants on site - a pizza place with outside seating and a nicer restaurant. We ate at both more than once and were satisfied with the food (good salad bars) and service. There is a small grocery (with spirits) just off the lobby, a laundry room (ask for change and purchase soap at the grocery), and three clean pools with hot tubs - our only disappointment was that not all the hot tubs were working (but the ones that were, heaven!!, after a day of hiking).

Our room was spacious and included a kitchen area - small fridge, microwave, stove, coffeemaker (with coffee) and dishes. The beds and pillows were fresh and comfy, and the housekeeping staff was polite, quick and thorough. The bath was larger than the norm; the air conditioning was as cold as you want it.

What truly won my heart was the balcony overlooking the Merced River. Beginning and ending the day listening to the water music and watching the birds, chipmunks, squirrels (and one fly fisherman) created the perfect, peaceful Yosemite mood.

The hotel is less than a mile from a 24 hour gas station and from park boundaries, two miles from the ranger station, and twelve miles to the heart of Yosemite Valley. We loved it.

Room Tip: Second or third floor riverview rooms have more private balconies than the ground floor rooms (due t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Hotel rooms are old but provide enough space. We had a river view with small balcony on the 1st floor. The bed was not OK. My back suffered from sleeping here. Happy to leave after two nights. Other hotels in the park are too expensive, so guess this was the best solution, eventhough too expensive for the value one gets

Stayed July 2014
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed three nights. Ate at the restaurant and pizza place. Both were good.
The decor is very 70s . Once you get past that - it's fine. It has all you need in this location - big rooms, on site shop and laundrette. Talking of the location, it's perfect. Just a few hundred yards from the park boundary.
We were awoken on our final night by water dripping through our ceiling. After a little persuasion the staff relocated us next door. I think this sums it up - great location, staff helpfully but building in need of renovation. Pleased we visited - mainly due to location.

Stayed July 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

A fabulous place to rest your head after an amazing day in Yosemite! Okay so it is in need of modernisation but overall clean and great size rooms. The hotel shops is very very expensive so fill up on groceries before hand if you plan to have snacks and make picnics for your trip outs! Staff friendly enough and my kids loved the swimming pool...albeit no life guards on duty! Great location would return.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Prior Lake, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We had a room for 2 nights on the 2nd floor overlooking the river. Just gorgeous. Rooms are as others have mentioned - dated but functional. The point is sleep right? This hotel's clientele heads into the park during the day! The location can't be beat! As others have advised - pick up provisions before getting to El Portal if you want any kind of selection/cost efficiency. We spent $70 at the mini mart deli getting dinner for 4 (some cut up fruit, a salad a few meh sandwiches, chips and water) on day 2, following pizza night one at the resort. The groceries inside of Yosemite may have been a better value than what is in El Portal - selection was certainly better! Back to the Lodge: need to bathe kids? The tub in the bathroom will accommodate 4 toddlers easily. Huge. Our teen daughter did take a soak but not a one of us could figure out the partial directions as to how to get the jets to work. The kitchenette was adequate and nice to have though we used it for breakfast only. Not sure if the property has a grilling area, that option would have been nice. We did skip restaurant based on reviews from this site and others as well as some staying at the Lodge. Pool area had two hot tubs, but jets were not working in one when we were there. HOT when we got there but AC kicked in fairly quickly.

Room Tip: Get a room on the river.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Santa Fe, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We began our drive through Yosemite at the Tioga Pass Gate (far eastern end) so by the time we got to the end, we were looking forward to our stop and stay at Yosemite View Lodge. BUT, its a throwback for sure. Printed bedspreads that were dirty on top and with stains when you turned them back (just pitch the thing into the corner of the room and ask housekeeping NOT to put it back on your bed!), grime on doors, towels frayed and with spots (but clean), sheets thin and nubby, pillows hard as rocks (my ears were numb from pressing on them!). With a microwave and fridge in room you can prepare your own food if you have it, otherwise you are stuck with the awful food in the restaurant - remember those old salad bars with pre-prepared/bulk purchased macaroni salads, baby carrots with the white stuff still on them? Huge croutons, cheddar cheese and sunflowers to dump on the sad chopped iceberg type lettuce that has no nutrition? That's what you get in the dining room. Opt for the quick pizza restaurant and buy yourself a bottle of wine in the lobby store. And then the staff - no one greets you or smiles, but they will give you a key. The place is packed with fun loving German, Dutch and French visitors, lots of kids and Japanese tour groups. At least they get the place rockin. I would not stay here again but would opt for a couple of the other hotels a bit farther down the road towards El Portal. Good luck!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the "Maple" building just to get away from the noise of the lobby buildi...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Yosemite View Lodge? Share your experiences!