“Average but we would stay there again.” 3 of 5 stars

Yosemite View Lodge
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   11136 Highway 140, PO Box D, El Portal, CA 95318   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in El Portal
California
“Average but we would stay there again.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Earlier this year, when I first started looking at lodging for our Yosemite trip, I checked out "Yosemite Lodge at the Falls" in the park but found that their website stated that none of the rooms have air conditioning and the only available rooms were around $260 a night. Since my husband likes A/C and I don't like paying over $200 a night if I can help it, that scotched the place. I am glad it did because when we visited between June 2 - June 7, 2013 the temps some days were in the 90's and humid and A/C was essential.

So I decided to book at the Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal, despite the negative reviews, at $189 a night. We requested a 3rd floor room to avoid noise from other guests. We got there too early for check-in but I asked if any renovated rooms were available. I was told that our "Mountain View - Two Queen" room was in the Maple building which was not recently renovated but for $220 a night we could get a room on the riverview side. I thanked them but declined.

We had room 3329 which was close to the elevator and entrance steps to the building so was a very convenient location. The exterior steps and elevator floor could stand to be cleaned. We were quite satsified with the room upon entry, it was fairly large, clean looking and did not have any off smells. It was a bit warm so we turned on the A/C. The style of bathroom and kitchen tile and wallpaper looked like it was last redecorated in the early 1990's. Later on we realized that there were old stains on the carpet. I never walk around with bare feet in hotel rooms anyway and I guess it is to be expected that there will be stains when you have a kitchen in your room.

The bath room was large, clean and with no hint of mildew and no mold. There was plenty of counter space. The towels were adequate. Since we had a double queen room there were four sets (bath, hand, washcloth). Dial brand complimentary toiletries were provided. Tissues and wastebaskets were provided in the bathroom and bedroom.

The kitchen is part of the main room. The counter top was white tile and clean, no mold. There was a coffee maker, toaster, minifrig, microwave, two burner electric range top, range hood, and bar size sink. In addition to the plates, glasses, eating/cooking utensils, pots/skillets, they provided, dish washing soap, a scrubbie for washing (not new), a dish rack, and a nice kitchen towel. I made a simple breakfast each day of scrambled eggs and toast to start us off and the little kitchen area was perfect for this. There is no disposal so don't put food down the sink. We brought paper plates and utensils to eliminate the need for washing a lot of dishes. The hood did a pretty good job of dispensing cooking smells.

Across the room there was a small table and two chairs which was perfect for two people to eat. On a large low cabinet sat a good size flat screen TV. The mattress was very springy. I have a bad back and had been so concerned about what I had read about the mattresses that I had brought a Thermarest camping pad just in case there was no support. I was pleasantly surprised that the mattress gave my back good support and I had no back pain in the mornings. The blanket, sheets and mattress pad were old and could stand to be replaced.

As mentioned in other reviews I had read, this building was right next to the highway so cars going by are easily heard if one does not have the air conditioner on. However, since it was so hot we always had the A/C on which was quite noisy. But we were so tired each night we were able to fall asleep.

Needed to be fixed: There were a few items that we reported on different days and they were fixed by the time we returned at the end of the day. Refrigerator tray broken. One of the two burners did not heat up on the stove. Tub/shower control could not be turned tight enough to keep it from dripping.

Internet access: There is a sign posted in the lobby that there is free WiFi in the lobby while they are are installing WiFi in the rooms. There are also desktop computers that can be rented ($5 for 60 mins up to $40 for 700 mins). The minutes may be used over multiple sessions. One note: As mentioned, the hotel is in the process of installing Wifi in the rooms and there there was a large ceiling access panel in our bathroom. Unknown to us, they accessed the panel during the day and apparently did not close it securely because when we came back that night and had the vent on the bathroom, the door fell open and could have caused us serious damage. I recommend if you have an access port in your room you verify that it it secure.

If we come back to Yosemite again, we would definitely stay here again. It is only 1 mile outside the park entrance and the drive into the valley is scenic. We also preferred it to the busy, crowded atmosphere in the valley.

While, Valley parking is at a premium, we found easy access to the park shuttle by parking in Lot A and taking the Visitor Center shuttle. Driving into Lot A, go around the circular drive til you reach the beige information tent, go right and drive around behind it. Park behind the green awning and restroom building. The parking lot shuttle picks up at the green awning and goes directly to the Visitor Center. The main park shuttle can be picked up from there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We wanted to stay in the park, but only booked 6 months in advance. Next best was Yosemite View Lodge which is located just outside the park. The lodge is a little dated, but how much time do you spend in your room when you are this close to Yosemite? The rooms are clean & large, the restaurant serves decent food at a price comparable to the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a "river-view room". Our patio was on the Merced River, provided great "whi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Deal, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Anywhere near or in the park is going to be large & busy. This is a huge hotel complex, about 6 x 3 story blocks, so don't expect anything refined. But the room was very nice, small kitchenette in the room including a fridge, with a lovely large bathroom.
The position of the hotel was great as it was just out side the N.P, & the drive into Yosemite Valley along the river was beautiful. We found the staff very pleasant & helpful.
Two swimming pools that we could see (one indoor, one outside), but, just one proper restaurant. There was a pizza restaurant if you only want that sort of thing. So, imagine all those people wanting to eat at the hotel - extremely busy - but our waiter was very pleasant & did his best in the difficult situation. The food was good when it arrived. Breakfast was buffet style plenty of choice, & the express checkout was good.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

If your expecting 5 star luxury this isn't for you, but if you want incredible location comfortable rooms with great views and facility's then it's perfect, the rooms are large and clean and there's a restaurant and shop with food and gifts. My only major criticism is how rude and unhelpful staff are!! We arrived an hour early and thought it was worth asking if we could check in, the look I got was like I'd grew three heads, and when I asked if there was somewhere just to leave cases a quite abrupt response of no was the reply. The location alone is worth booking for though and just keep out the rude staffs way

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Morden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

From reading some of the reviews once booked I wasn't sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised, the rooms were much bigger and nicer thatn I was expecting and ours was certainly clean enough, we had restricted mountain view but you only had to go outside to get great views all around. We had a meal in the restaurant one night then a pizza the next and both were excellant. The closet accomodation outside of the park so didn't take long by bus, would definately recommend to a friend if they were going.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We arrived at the lodge late at night & left early in the morning so I can only give a limited review. Our room was a river view king in the new building. We were on the first floor but still had a flight of stairs to get there. Our room was large, clean & nicely appointed. The room had a kitchenette with a small frig, stove, microwave, coffee maker & dishes. The kitchen & bathroom counters were granite. The bathroom was spacious with a large spa tub & a window above the toilet. The bed was comfortable & had an electric fireplace facing it. We had a small balcony with a table & two chairs with wonderful views of the river. We slept with the door open all night to hear its magnificent sound. I really loved the room but we were on our way to the Ahwahnee hotel for 2 nights. The downfall of this hotel is not being inside the park so it cuts into your hiking time. Also, I really didn't care for the small encounter I had with some of the staff when checking in. I feel its very rude not to acknowledge a person.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

When a river runs alongside your room, you are lulled to sleep by the sounds of rushing water. The rooms were large and comfortable, but. Need serious updating. I felt like I was living in an 80's time warp. The jacuzzi tub that was in our broom made it difficult o get in and out of the shower. The restaurant was very good, but the service was horribly slow, especially when you have 3 tour buses in at once. The front desk staff is a little bit surly. But the store on site comes well stocked-bring your own produce. For the amount of business that they Have,the least they could do is freshen the rooms.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Yosemite View Lodge? Share your experiences!