“is that a bird bath?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 El Centro

You added Super 8 El Centro to your Saves list
Super 8 El Centro
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1575 Ocotillo Drive, El Centro, CA 92243 (Formerly Howard Johnson Inn)   |
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in El Centro
Victoria, BC
“is that a bird bath?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

after a long day of driving I was looking forward to a dip in the pool before dinner. However not only was the pool and hot tub disgustingly dirty with all kinds of things growing and floating (think swamp!) there was a dead bird floating in the pool. Needless to say I passed on the swim. So here is my dilemma - the room itself was clean and good value in terms of price but the external maintenance is really in need of some help. Howard Johnson - you need to do some surprise inspections and hold the owners feet to the fire in terms of external upkeep - this property is a disservice to the brand.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
CalistaF, Guest Relations Manager at Super 8 El Centro, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know what we can work on. It is feedback such as yours that assist us in ensuring that our service and standards are where they need to be. Please be assured taht we are not taking your concerns lightly, and that this issue is of the utmost importance to us, particularly now that summer is upon us. Please also know that we are undertaking an extensive remodeling project, and we are improving all aspects of our property. I do sincerely hope that you come back to see our new and improved property. I am sure that you won't be disaapointed!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Tipp City, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

We usually stay in 3 star and 4 star hotels, so we didn't expect much from a 2 star hotel. It was shabby and outdated, but did have some pluses. The room had an iron. ironing board, refrigerator, microwave, hairdryer and an okay breakfast with fresh OJ, milk, danish, and fresh fruit. The room was clean and quiet. The king size bed was comfortable and there was no hint of smoke in the room. For $64, I guess it was okay.

Room Tip: Depends on what you are looking for...It was okay, just a 2 star room.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Lake Hughes, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I liked this place until I had to stay in the building across the street. Do not stay in the other building. Stay in the main building, in the furthest corner from the office, or upstairs, not next to the office unless - you get up early. That room has a flat screen TV but, you hear the people putting breakfast together etc.
I hate to complain because I really liked it there. Across the street there were drug deals going on outside the room, a completely different feel then the main building.
For a few more $ Stay on the other side behind Denny's.

Room Tip: Main Building ONLY
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011 via mobile

The parking lot was empty when we pulled up. The exterior is dingy and needs a good cleaning and updating. However, the room was perfectly clean. They serve a free breakfast but I can't comment because I woke up too late. I wouldn't stay here again because for almost the same price I can stay across the street where its nicer.

• Stayed July 2011
Simi Valley
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

Let us start with the heater. It was just a little quieter then a jet engine at take off, say 120dB so we had to turn it off because it would wake us all up every hour or so. But that was no big deal because the door had about a 1/4” gap so we had ample outside air pouring in all night. Too bad it was winter. I spent my night monitoring the sheets as the bed had no mattress cover. I mean, only about a thousand people slept on that spot my five year daughter had her face. Another fine point was the toilet. It had a leak so it would constantly run. Good news however was there was only one roll of toilet paper which my children quickly dispatched. I cannot vouch for the continental breakfast since ObamaCare has not kicked I did not want to risk a trip to the hospital to have my stomach pumped. I went to visit my family across the street from the Howard Johnson. We stayed there once before so even though it seemed peculiar that the parking lot was empty I decided to go with what I knew instead of trying an unknown. Now I know why.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

Could not ask for more at the price, excellent value

• Liked — had everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Super 8 El Centro? Share your experiences!