“no shower, no hospitality, no way again” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in El Centro
Cottonwood
“no shower, no hospitality, no way again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We had stayed at the El Centro location because it was part way between our home and where our relative was hospitalized.

In the AM we wanted to clean up and get going quickly since the relative was not doing well. We went to shower and it didn't work. IF, big IF, housekeeping cleaned it they would have been able to see that it didn't work and put in a maintenance request to fix it. Obviously they didn’t so, most likely, the shower was not cleaned before the room was rented out.

When a room is paid for we should have a working shower, toilet, running water and clean room. That is what you expect when you need a room for the night when you are a way from home.

The woman at the front desk gave us crap because we didn’t want to drag our stuff to another room to shower. And, who knows if that room had been cleaned. She grudgingly gave us 10% off, really not enough. We will not stay there again!!!! Rodeway will not be our CHOICE of hotels in the future, and we have burned our rewards card.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
LAS CRUCES
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

This is just off I-8 and is less expensive than the nearby choices -- Comfort Inn and Best Western. There is an I-HOP restaurant nearby and an In-and-Out Burger next door. The room was clean. The internet worked well. The room had a fridge and microwave, but no coffee maker. It had a TV with lots of channels. The room was a bit small with a king bed, but it had a desk and a chest of drawers. The heat worked well. The breakfast looked minimal --the desk clerk spoke of coffee and orange juice. The building surrounds the parking lot. Once one drives through the high gate, it seems a bit like a fort.

Room Tip: We had a room near the hotel lobby and it was quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Calabasas, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This hotel is so unprofessional, dirty and THIEVES!! People came in to put in a new mattress when we were out and I noticed my expensive voice recorder was GONE! They owner did NOTHING to help us! He did not CARE! After we complained we got terrible looks from the housekeeper and treated terrible! FLOORS ARE GROSS! Pool was dirty, this place was a Joke, go some place else!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Alpine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Had to make a unplanned trip to El Centro in July and had to spend the night. Hotel was easy access to freeway and the price was right. We had a refrigerator, mircowave and coffee maker Continental breakfast was more than coffee and sweet rolls. They had cereal, fruit, muffins, doughnuts, juices. Much more than I expected. Rooms were adequate, airconditioning was working all in all was very nice. This hotel sits back far enough from the freeway so that you do not hear any freeway traffic.

Room Tip: All rooms are within a secured area, meaning only one way in and one way out.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
St. Albans, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Our room was a good size, the beds were comfortable and everything worked fine. We had a kitchen, large stove, microwave and fridge. However, the carpet was filthy; when our son was walking around with bare feet in the morning I noticed they were black. He cleaned them with a wet cloth, which made the while cloth black too. There were stain and splodges all over it. There is no excuse for leaving such dirty carpets down, it's horrible for guests to put up with this. Why don't they just take up the carpets and put down a wipeable floor covering?

We had a cockroach fall off the ceiling onto our bed, luckily we were still awake. This is a hot place so we don't blame the hotel owners. We've never had cockroaches before, though, in all our years of travelling across this country every summer.

The breakfast was OK, except for the 'juice' which is that awful fake stuff, full of chemicals and sugar. Why can't they go to Costco, or wherever, and provide real juice I don't know: that stuff is disgusting. Given that the hotel is in California, it's an added insult. We have noticed, over the years, that most hotels do now provided decent food and real juice, but some obviously haven't grasped the basics yet. Perhaps they don't care about their guests enough?

Checking in and out was quick and painless, the pool was OK but I was glad we were only there for one night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
san felipe, mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

my wife and I travel at least 2x's per month from mexico to the va hospital in san diego. not only is this inn convenient to the border also shopping in both el centro and calexico. These folks go out of their way w/information, directions or on one occasion a referral to a Days Inn & Suites in La Mesa, Ca. They were able to set us up w/a 3 room suite. This suite not only had a living room, sitting room, bathroom, and separate bedroom. 2 of the rooms had tv and the sitting room had table and chairs, microwave and refrigerator. All of this was offered to us at the same Rodeway Inn price we are use to paying in El Centro. Each trip made to the states now, we look forward to as we stay going over and returning. Did I mention their fabulous continental breakfast which both of these Inns provided. Bananas, apples, bagels, creme cheese, assortment of jams, juices and coffee. These folks provide clean rooms, plenty of towels easy access for handicapped guests and very important to us they are warm and welcoming to our pet. A great experience @ both Inns!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

We were planning a long visit in the Salton Sea area last week and I started scouting for a motel to crash in before our trip. Lodging in the Brawley area was kind of pricey, likely because of its proximity to Rt. 78 and the Glamis OHV crowd. I looked further south (about a 20 minute drive) in El Centro. Plenty of lodging, reasonably priced.

I've stayed at Rodeway Inns before and haven't been truly disappointed. Its an economy class motel that's typically spartan on luxuries, but generally very comfortable for the motorist. The only complaints I've had in the past have been situational and not really a reflection on the chain itself.

The various motels in El Centro were in the $60+ range, except the Rodeway Inn, at $42 for a king, non-smoking. Reviews seemed generally positive, so I decided to make a reservation. I'll admit I was hesitant as there's usually a reason motels are less expensive than their neighbors. All we really needed was a bed for a night in a clean, comfortable room.

The property is clearly a refurbished older motel. The big, faded sign says "MOTEL" and the one-story structure with a central parking lot looked a bit dubious at first. There's a smaller sign announcing its a Rodeway Inn, so it looks like a relatively new property acquisition by Choice Hotels. Another review criticized the area of the hotel, likening it to a seedy area populated by undesirables. I disagree with that assessment entirely. Its at a relatively busy corner with a 7 Eleven in walking distance and a gas station. Its definitely not some privileged walled community, but it seemed just fine. El Centro is a community with a heavy agricultural and farming history and you have those types of people, as well as travelers. We were walking around outside after sun down and encountered normal people on our trip to the convenience store.

The lobby was small with seating for about 10 people for the continental breakfast. The desk staff were very friendly and accomodating to my questions. The motel is quite popular, clearly due to price, but also because its worth every penny!

Our room had a modern key card access lock. The rooms are small. Just enough for a king bed, dresser, TV cabinet and two nightstands. AC/Heater unit in the wall was almost brand new and worked quietly and efficiently. The mattress was new, pretty comfortable, and sealed in a hypoallergenic mattress bag!

Bed bug check yielded NO evidence of the critters. Very, very clean! (for the record, I do a bed bug check in *every* motel/hotel I stay in before I move my luggage in. You can find plenty of references online on how to do this quickly).

The room did have a hint of a cleanser smell, but an hour with the AC on cleared that rapidly.

Bathroom fixtures were fine, with some toiletry amenities like hand soap, tissues, bath soap, shampoo and conditioner. Shower was in great shape. Good water pressure and a decent shower head!

The 27" TV allowed us to wind down after our long day. There are movie channels like HBO available for free. There is also free WiFi internet. More importantly, it WORKED! I was quite pleased with how fast the internet was, and this is with the motel nearly sold out that night!

The only downside of this motel I could see, though we were fortunate to not have it become an issue for us, was that the walls are thin. We could hear our neighbors talking, and their TV. Generally their noise level was reasonable so it didn't bother us. We could hear doors slamming quite easily. I think if we had more rowdy neighbors near us, the stay would've been dreadful, and I would've been on the phone to the front desk complaining about it. I *did* ask about that before checking in, and they told me they only "rarely" have noise complaints, so its an issue they're aware of, and hopefully will take care of if it happens.

The other people staying that night were a mixed bag. Other travelers, some for the Blue Angels air show at the nearby NAS. Dune rats from Glamis etc. Across the parking lot there were some folks hanging around outside their room with the door open, drinking beer, and talking a bit more loudly than comfortable for a place with thin walls, but it didn't go late. They turned in around 9PM or so. Again, I will say we were fortunate that rowdies weren't rooming next to us, as it might've changed my perception of this place entirely.

There's a modest continental breakfast in the morning. Fruit, cereal, coffee, juice, milk etc. Nothing fancy, just enough to get you going in the morning.

For a total of $48, this place was VERY worth it! I will certainly book another stay here next time I'm in the area.

Room Tip: Due to thin walls, ask to be put in a room far away from others. You might not get the chance as th...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rodeway Inn & Suites El Centro? Share your experiences!