“Surprisingly nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in El Cajon
Westwood Los Angeles County, California
“Surprisingly nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

We had to spend one evening in El Cajon and this was the closest place. The room was surprisingly nice, actually large, with a balcony overlooking a putting green. The bathroom was very nice-sized as well. The rooms face the golf course, so all you hear at night is muffled traffic; in the morning you may hear golfers. Both the reservation staff and the front desk people were very pleasant.

The place would be perfect If it wasn't for 1) the loud in-wall air conditioning and 2) the fact that you can only get two queen beds (no kings are available unless you get a suite).

If you are ever unfortunate enough to have to spend a night in El Cajon this is the place.

Room Tip: Top floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Sycuan_Resort_Team, Marketing Manager at Sycuan Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
We are glad you were pleasantly surprised and enjoyed your stay. Most of our guests enjoy how quiet and peaceful it is at our property, a great place to relax even if you are not a golfer. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are visiting El Cajon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Our golfing group of 10 this year had another fabulous time using Sycuan G&TR as our base. In last year's review I mentioned the need for free WiFi. I'm really pleased to say Sycuan Management sincerely reads and responds to Tripadvisor comments. This year - free WiFI! And we're not talking about some cheap installation; I ran a speedtest on my iPad and clocked a serious 22 Mps. Worked great videostreaming with my Slingbox app.
Other improvements noted were the large HD TV screens in the lounge, the golf range, and on the courses. Compared to the other courses we played this week (La Costa, Steele Canyon, Barona), the Sycuan courses were in superb shape.
As always, the food and staff in the dining room were terrific. Besides the Wednesday Pasta nite, we also enjoyed Friday's Steak & Potato nite. We'd like to suggest bringing back the Monday Lobster nite!
Our week long stay includes a golf staycation package when we can play both courses on one day. We also received a golf clinic. Besides offering some valuable tips, golf director Clint made the short game lessons fun and enjoyable.
Plans are underway for our 2015 trip.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed using our free Wi-Fi, as well as our other amenities, we are very proud of these improvements. Thank you for choosing Sycuan Golf Resort for your group, we look forward to seeing you in 2015!
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

My high school reunion was hosted here so I booked a room rather than drive back to my parents' home.
The front desk staff were very courteous, very friendly, and quite helpful.
I was a little apprehensive because the exterior, while well maintained, doesn't look too different from when I was a kid.
What a pleasant surprise!
My first floor corner room was gorgeous, very spacious, clean, and had a great view! I don't often take a photo of hotel rooms but I did this time. It was such a nice room.
I compared my photos to their website and judging by the website pictures, I guess I had a one bedroom suite. I'm surprised, given the low rate I paid. So I'd say it is an even better value!
I didn't golf, but I heard from some of my former classmates say they had a really good time on the course.

Room Tip: The corner rooms/one bedroom suites have great light and nice views!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Had never been to this resort/casino before, so I pictured in my head the huge 5-6 story hotel types similar to Pechenga here in SD area. As we pulled up I thought we were in the wrong place, but no, this was actually it.... a cute small cozy hotel around 5 minutes drive up the road from the actual casino. We stayed only one evening, attended a concert at the small theater at the casino. (Horrible smokey casino with pretty shady looking customers.) The free shuttle drove us to/from the venue. Did not have a chance to experience the spa or bar on site.
The room was large with 2 Queens, and room for a roll away if you need it... Nicely updated and had a great view over the golf course / pool. I would come to the resort again, but stay clear of the casino...

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Anaheim, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Oh my G!!!! Took my sister here for the "Mixed Double" package which included the 1 hour spa massage and the hotel room and it was so awesome I took my husband here the next weekend!!! The beds engulf you to dreamland! The showers are awesome and consistent hot water no matter what time of the day it is. You are taken to the casino via a shuttle whenever you need to go. We also tried the breakfast at the hotel restaurant and the Belgian waffle was PERFECT!!!! Already looking forward to our next weekend at Sycuan Resort. My only request is to look into changing that 400pm check in time, wow it is a long wait...

Room Tip: The check in time is at 400pm, plan to stay at the casino throughout the day until checking in, also...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Plainview, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Beautifully situated about 30 minutes east of San Diego. The rooms are nicely appointed, spacious with a really large bathroom. The only negative about the room was the small amount of drawer space for 2 people. My wife and I stayed for 5 nights mainly for the golf. The courses and really nice and in great condition. The entire staff at the hotel, restaurant and golf were all super friendly. The property is about a 10 minute drive to El Cajon. No need to go there for breakfast. The restaurant at the golf course serves fantastic food. We went there each morning for breakfast. Great menu choices and all delicious. Had dinner there 1 evening. My wife had the sea bass which she loved and I had a really good steak cooked perfectly. Went to the casino a few nights, a short drive away. The hotel has a shuttle if you prefer not driving. The casino does have a non smoking room. The hotel does not charge for interest access. If we were in the area we would definitely return to this property.

Room Tip: Upper floor if you don't mind steps.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We went here for a golf getaway over the weekend. We were a group all with separate rooms and a party at the end.

the Golf Course: Wonderful. Scenic. Challenging but forgiving. Well kept. Drink service was frequent and Josette made an awesome bloody mary.

the Bar: Good mix of drinks. Simple but tasty menu.

the Restaurant: Clean. Great Variety on the menu. I had "Joe's special" eggs for breakfast and it was the perfect breakfast after a night of partying.

the Rooms: Spacious. Overlooked the golf course. clean. Comfortable beds AND pillows. Large desk. Cozy linens (towels and sheets).

All of the staff was friendly and accommodating. The food was excellent. The shuttle between the resort and the casino was frequent and it was constantly picking up and dropping off. Although we never made it to the casino, our next visit here will have us going.

If i had to choose a weekend getaway to Sycuan or Palm Springs, Sycuan wins hands down.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Sycuan Golf & Tennis Resort? Share your experiences!