“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3007 Dehesa Road, El Cajon, CA 92019   |
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in El Cajon
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a wedding that was at the resort. I have to say first the wedding was spectacular and one of the best I have ever been to. The food at the reception was extremely good and the ambiance of the ceremony and reception was perfect. We booked our room to enjoy the weekend with our friends and family even though we live only a few miles from here. We are already talking about when we can come back (and we don't even golf!).

We had a first floor walkout. It was nice having the patio and made the room feel quite large. My parents had a second floor room with balcony and their ceiling was vaulted and gorgeous. It's a tough call which one I liked better, but I have to admit I think I liked the walkout just a bit more. The room itself is spacious as is the bathroom. The suite I saw had a tub, but the basic room has a shower only. I also saw a corner room with a Murphy bed and wow! It had several windows and would double as a great gathering space for a large group. I believe this is their handicap room, but I am not quite sure.

The views here are stunning and serene. If you are looking for a little more action, the shuttle to the casino is quick and it really does operate 24 hours. We called the shuttle at midnight and it picked us up only a few minutes later right at our door. The return trip at 2 AM was quick.

The pool was a bit outdated, but everything else felt recently updated. I agree with others regarding the cost of the wifi. I would recommend that it be included.

The food at the golf club is very good as well. We ate breakfast there and I can highly recommend the bananas foster French toast.

All in all, every staff member was kind and courteous, the guests all seemed to be having a good time, and it is just gorgeous there. Sure the hotel was built many years back, but the updates make it feel quite new. Come for relaxation and kick it up a notch at the casino if you get bored. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Garland, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This resort is very peaceful,You get the pool to yourself,know one was ever at the pool.I enjoyed sitting on the balcony in the mornings and evenings.It is very private and peaceful.You can call for a free shuttle to the casino 24hrs a day.This was my second stay here and i love it more each time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was a very nice hotel stay. I have to warn you all that the hotel is not at Sycuan but at the golf course. I first went to the casino. The hotel front registration was very fast and easy. We had a upstairs room with a nice view of the course. The room that we have the balcony was very long it had a table and chairs. The room itself was nice and clean. There was a big desk that is great for someone who needs to work. My favorite part of the room was the very spacious bathroom. The whole room itself was a great size. We fit three adults very nicely. The shuttles come by all the time to take you to sycuan so that was easy. We had breakfast at the restraunt at the golf course the next morning and the service and food was also great. I would reccomend this place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Sycuan_Resort_Team, Manager at Sycuan Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review of our Resort! When we renovated our rooms a few years ago we wanted to ensure absolute comfort of our guests ... hence the spacious layout of the bedroom and bathroom. Also note that every room overlooks the golf course!

Come play at Sycuan Casino - just three miles from the Resort. There is a complimentary shuttle that will take you back and forth, 24 hours a day, at your convenience.

Next time, successbythebeach, we encourage you play a round of golf on our fun par three course - Pine Glen.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This is my 4th time at the resort. You can read my previous reviews so here's what's new since last April 2013.
We use Sycuan as the base for our week long golf trip. We booked 2 golf packages to play Oak and Willow. There was a mixup with the billings - they charged us extra for power carts. Easy to fix but I prefer not having to spend time checking and resolving.
They have added a new course for golf discus players. Didn't try it out.
Each night we tried different restaurants (8 of us). Without question the best meals were at the Sycuan resort. The Pasta Bar special on Wednesday was awesome. Next year we will first check to see what are the specials and then plan our dinners around them. Drink til you're happy and then saunter back to your room. No designated driver duties required!

Room Tip: We'll continue to keep politely demanding they offer free WiFi.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Fourth time at the Resort... Wow, thank you for your loyalty! We encourage you to check our website regularly for golf/hotel/spa packages.

The Sycuan Café and Grille currently has the following specials: Pasta Wednesdays, Brews & BBQ Fridays and Prime Rib Sundays.

Regarding the WiFi - we're working on it! We'll be running a special soon offering free internet to guests who book directly through us. Stay tuned.
Redondo Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The Sycuan Resort is quite nice. The rooms are very large and comfortable. Food is decent but not more than that (though I heard that the Eggs Benedict were very good). The golf course I played (Oak Glen) was in good condition, very pretty and quite challenging. I have no interest in the casino aspect so can't speak about that. BUT a charge of $9.99/day for WiFi is ridiculous, particularly when most places now offer free WiFi. I think they can get away with it ONLY because it is a couple of miles to get to the nearest free WiFi spot. Still, I'm sure they're making enough on the casino and resort that they could afford to give free WiFi. There are NO porters so you've got to hump your own bags. Choose a ground floor room for that but you'll hear anyone walking above you.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are nice for access but you hear anyone walking in the room above you. Choose ac...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We booked a golf package at $199.. two rounds of golf and room. The rooms are great.They are 80's vintage but wonderfully redone. Huge bathrooms (no tubs) and spacious rooms. Wi fi is not included ($10.). Grounds are well maintained.
Golf was not so hot. Very shabby. Lots of play so I guess this is a deal.. Not sure what the round rate was but it must have been cheap since the course was loaded.
Weird deal with the Sycuan Casino.. They own the whole deal..The Casino is 3 miles from the hotel but shuttles are available at your call. We had a great meal at the Casino at their fine dining place.. 2 top sirloins plus the fixings for a very reasonable sum..
No drinking liquor on the floor of the casino. We are used to Nevada and desert casinos, we like to have our drinks when we gamble.. disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

I was looking forward to attending the couples golf academy. We arrived at the hotel around 230 pm and were very disappointed when they told us check-in time was not until 4 PM. Once we finally got to our room we were impressed with being ground-level overlooking the putting green. Saturday morning we attended our golf instruction with Rick who I could not say kind enough words for. This guy was absolutely amazing patient courteous etc.... It was a very pleasant experience to learn from him. After three hours of instruction and golfing 18 holes we were looking forward to going back to our room to relax. They had not cleaned the room so we went to dinner then came home around 9 PM to find they completely forgot to clean the room. On our second day of golf we had 15 minute wait times on all par threes. They had stacked the course so busy that on several holes there was three groups waiting to tee off. By the 14th hole we had finally had enough and called it quits

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Sycuan Golf & Tennis Resort? Share your experiences!