“Sort of odd, but not unpleasant.” 4 of 5 stars

Sycuan Golf & Tennis Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3007 Dehesa Road, El Cajon, CA 92019   |
Ranked #1 of 14 hotels in El Cajon
Alexandria, Virginia
“Sort of odd, but not unpleasant.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The grounds are lovely -- fabulous old trees with lanterns hanging off of them -- but the buildings are unimpressive: motel style. The rooms are OK however and the bathrooms huge. The balconies and patios look out over the golf course which is nice. There were two pools but each felt like an afterthought, sort of oddly placed and configured. I had to call the front desk for a towel as it was a significant distance from our room, but someone showed up in 15 minutes with two towels and a smile. There was no other option for "service" however at the pool -- just a Coke machine. This is really a hotel for golfers. I can't imagine they attract many guests who aren't there for that purpose given the lack of traditional resort amenities. Not sure I'd return unless there was some reason to be right about there in El Cajon.

Room Tip: No elevators (and no one who offered to help with our luggage), so request a ground floor room if yo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

97 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
traveling3500
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Great Customer Service from Golf Shop personnel .Wife and I play every week at Par 3- Pine Glen Course.Very challenging. Usually flows well, starting late morning Tee Time.They have 2 other Golf Courses at Sycuan. Very good shape, tricky greens, they have Senior Rates.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

The rooms seem updated and nice but one thing that really that bugged me was the towels were in the adjoining room from the shower alcove (no tub). There was no place to hang a towel in the shower alcove except to drape it over the toilet, if you remembered to bring one in beforehand. If not it was a dripping mess across the floor into the adjoining room where the sinks are to get to reach for one.
Other than that, rooms were nice and updated. Kudo to the Restaurant which was much better than expected and I would go there just to eat for sure. We were in room 141 so it was a ways from the restaurant and we drove over there. There is a shuttle to the casino but I think you need a car to stay here. Peaceful and green, I would recommend and stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Pinehurst, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

From the outside, the lodges resemble mid-century motels, but the rooms are comfortable, nicely furnished, and well-equipped, and it was great to have a patio. The very large bathroom had plenty of counter space for cosmetics and gear for two people.
The food's delicious, and the portions generous. The Wednesday night dinner special (with a bottle of house wine at half price!) was a steal, but even the regular prices are very reasonable.
The Oak Glen golf course is an interesting layout, challenging but not punishing, and kept in good shape - but watch out, the greens are sneaky-fast. The golf tournament for which I came was well-organized and the staff was just super. (Pine Glen was closed for maintenance during my stay.)
The service was friendly and accomodating everywhere else, too. Also generally quite efficient, though at times the restaurant and front desk staffs were a bit overwhelmed (the resort was entirely full). Housekeeping was terrific. They knocked on my door very early the first AM, I said please come back after 10:00, and they must have come shortly after then every day, because I never saw or heard them again - just a clean room and fresh towels. That's the way to do it!

As a guest, I had a delightful stay, and I think most of my golf tournament group enjoyed their time on-site as much as I did. But many were not nearly as satisfied with the value they got as I was. I booked my stay on the resort's own web site at well below the group rate - which shouldn't have been able to happen. There were other issues with group room sales and reservations, but I won't go into detail since this is a consumer-oriented site. I'll just invite you to send me a message if you'd be booking a large group.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Fe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed in a Deluxe room, with two really comfortable queen beds. They had room service, which was great, as well as free use of a computer in the lobby for me to print out my airline boarding pass. The shower (no tub) was excellent. The only down side for me was no free in-room wifi (they charge $9.99 per day for that service.). The staff were all very friendly, and the room was really clean, with a nice flat screen TV and a large desk. I had a nice view of one of the golfing greens outside my patio.

Room Tip: If you want a second floor room with a balcony you need to ask for it (special requests not guarante...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Westminster, CA USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I spent two nights here as part of a golf tournament.....from the minute I walked into the reception area and through the entire stay the staff here just could't do enough for you. Everyone was friendly, helpful, and really devoted to making your stay here both pleasant and stress free.

The rooms are awesome, fresh, and very well maintained and the pool is wonderful. We played two different courses during the tournament and both were in excellent condition. I don't think I could find a negative here if I tried, so feel comfortable if you're in the San Diego / El Cajon area that you won't go wrong at this resort.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sycuan Golf & Tennis Resort? Share your experiences!