“Great base for a San Diego golf vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Sycuan Golf & Tennis Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3007 Dehesa Road, El Cajon, CA 92019   |
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in El Cajon
Vancouver, Canada
“Great base for a San Diego golf vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

This is my 3rd year where we stayed as a large group (8 this year, 10 previous). It has become our home base for our 7 days in April. El Cajon is located NE of the San Diego airport, about a 40 minute drive. Be prepared for a big of hassling if you are renting a vehicle. You take a shuttle bus from the airport to the rental site and then line up at the counter. You really need to shop around and compare prices. We've used Dollar, Budget, and Fox and went with the lowest rate each year. Vehicles and counter service seemed to be the same quality.

We use the Stay and Unlimited Play every 2nd day. Power carts are included but both Oak Glen and Willow Glen are walkable. We like to walk in the morning and cart in the afternoon. Bring a sweater or vest as it's cool in the morning but quickly warms up by 11 AM. On alternate days we visit other golf courses - Steele Canyon, Barona, Salt Creek. These are link style courses that require a power cart since many holes have extreme elevation changes. A nice variation from the relatively flat Sycuan courses. At Sycuan you can buy a practice range golf ball card for the week and there is a great short game area and several putting greens.

The staff, in particular, Veronica and Virginia in the restaurant and Jan in the bar lounge are always smiling and congenial. As hockey fans from Canada, we have our restaurant dinner in the bar where we can gather around a large TV screen and watch the NHL playoffs. Other reviews about the renovated rooms are accurate - large, clean, comfortable.

If there was one thing they could improve it's the WiFi connection. No free service but a 24-hr $9.99 fee provided by Ethostream. If you are coming from, Canada the roaming charges are ridiculous so be sure to take out a temporary US data plan before leaving.

Room Tip: We don't mind being placed at the far end of resort. There is a putting green which is not part...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Bulverde, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

We stayed here for a long weekend with a group of people for a surprise party. Really turned out to be a great place overall, and we all had an excellent time! From the outside, I thought the place looked dated, but it was very obvious that the inside of the rooms had been renovated. Very nice accomodations overall~beds were comfortable, etc. I was VERY impressed with the food from the Echo Lounge....we ended up eating food from there several times, and it was SO good! Tasted like an upscale restaurant to be honest with you. Everyone had something good to say about the food from there. And fantastic happy hour prices after 5pm till close!! We took the free shuttle back and forth to the casino several times, which was always very prompt and you never had to wait long. The casino was bigger and nicer than what I was anticipating. They have a separate smoking and non smoking area which is nice too. Food at the sports bar was excellent as well, and very reasonably priced. Overall, just a fun place, especially with a group of people.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Lovettsville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

What a lovely visit I had here. From the very start when I drove over and around the mountain top to see this beautiful valley, I was hooked! What a wonderful hidden gem in the Sand Diego area. This nice little resort has a warm and comfortable feel about it. The staff are genuine and helpful. People seem to be having fun and are relaxed at this hotel. Very nice golf course. The hotel rooms have been remodeled and are really very lovely. The shower was the best shower I have had in a hotel room in a very long time! (And, I go to a lot of hotels on business!) Tall shower head, beautiful tile, great water pressure! I feel that if you start your day out with a great shower, you're going to feel refreshed and good all day! The restaurant meal was incredible. I was there for breakfast and asked my server what she would suggest. The Kobe beef hash with poached eggs was amazing! They knocked it out of the park with this wonderful dish! Again, all the people that I saw in the restaurant were enjoying a relaxed and fun start to their day. The grounds are lovely and large. Nice for a walk to exercise and enjoy. The two pools were well kept and well placed on the grounds. The only reason that I don't give this resort a 5 star rating is I thought the comforter on the bed could have been more "comfortable." It seemed to be just another sheet on the bed. When I was a bit cold, I looked into the closet for a blanket but there was none to be found. Pillows were great, towels were large and very nice. As in a few of the other posts, I would agree that the curb appeal could be better. The lobby is small and not well decorated but all in all, this lends to the laid back feel too. Oh, one more item, the meeting space is small but nice. Not a lot of meeting space but for small groups, this would be just right!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Camarillo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

The wife and I are regular visitors to San Diego and had been to all of the other casinos, but had never been to Sycuan. This weekend we got a Spa package that came with spa treatments, a room, and a meal at the resorts restaurant. To sum it up in one word...AWESOME!!! The room felt like a suite, was spotless and inviting. The spa was quaint but the staff delivered service that was kind and caring, and the therapeutic massage that I received and the facial that the wife got, made us look 15 years younger as we both emerged. I saved the best for last. The restaurant served a meal and wine combination that was second to none. Each course of food was matched with a chef selected wine and it was heavenly! The entire meal was served as in any 5 star gourmet restaurant and all with a down to earth atmosphere and a staff that cared about the experience you were having. We decided to have room service from the restaurant on Sunday morning, and the omelette set a new standard for any omelette I will eat in the future. The restaurant alone is worth the visit to this hidden resort in the hills just outside San Diego, but I recommend you incorporate a spa visit as well so all of your senses will feel equally spoiled!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in 106, and it has a beautiful patio that looks out over the golf course.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Westlake Village, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this resort for a night this weekend and will recommend it to everyone we know! We selected the package called Reconnect and Rejuvinate which included an overnight stay, a Spa treatment for two, ( my husband had a 50 min. massage, I had a facial for 50 min. including glycolic acid) and dinner for two. We were really pleased with every single thing. We loved our treatments, the food ( three course, gourmet style, plus wine paring for each entree for a very small extra fee) and the clean, well decorated room( which included extra large shower nozzle, softest towels, pillows and best bed linens ever!) Everything, except the resort curb appeal, was just was beautiful and the staff was very pleasant. To top everything off, the package price was an amazing deal!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Marlborough, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Spent three nights, on the play and stay special. Unlimited golf on two excellent courses, plus an enjoyable 18-hole par 3. Clean comfortable rooms, excellent breakfast (included), shuttle to the casino, friendly staff. All in this peaceful valley, surrounded by mountains, just 25 minutes from downtown San Diego. Only negative - WiFi connection poor.

Room Tip: Only 4 rooms with king beds
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

There are 2 x 18's there. Both look great, although our one was great up to 17, with 18 being a very ordinary and short par 3, a bit of a "damp" finish. I would however play there again - not too crowded, in great shape and friendly staff.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to Sycuan Golf & Tennis Resort? Share your experiences!