“I dont get it!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Dunsmuir
Portland, Oregon
“I dont get it!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

Great hospitality by owmer Donna. I was woken up by drunken young adults. Police and Fire crews called out. Fights, drunkeness and ??? Never was apologised to. Watched Donna's husband mention it to residents there but NOT ONE APOLOGIE ME OR OTHER GUESTS IN MY PRESENTS! Nice, clean and beautiful but owners took NO RESPONSIBILITY to what happened that night. No sleep that night and needed air in tire and was informed that Chevroron station was down the street and able to help but was closed and had been for days! How did he( co - owner, Donna's husband) not know the only service station in town was closed and had been for days. Why did'nt he say there was one 6 miles N on I 5? I had a terrible experience there. No Sleep, bad advise and if you drive further into Dunsmuir you will find nicer views, and better service, and many more options. Places w/ pools, better veiws and... I am sorry. They took no responsibility, there are alot of residents their that were nice but seemed to be there priority. Sorry Donna, but I had a bad experience there. I spoke with your husband before I left your lodge and he expressed no concern about me,or my night there, or the road needs for my car. People that stay there are on the road and rely on your services and advice. If you go further down the road you will find MUCH BETTER accomidations. I am sorry, but that was my experience there.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
jonjeffers, Owner at Dunsmuir Lodge, responded to this review, July 8, 2010
The writer of "I don't get it" is correct about the incident that happened at our Lodge. It was a nightmare incident. It kept us up all night and disturbed many of our guests. The writer is not correct about us taking responsibility. We were out the next morning talking to all guests who were still here and who were out and about. We offered our apologies and gave out Discount coupons to most of the guests. Some guests whom we spoke with, said that they were only minimally disturbed. Two guests did not hear anything, as the sirens were turned off before the emergency vehicles entered the property and the disturbance quelled. We felt very badly about the incident. We remember the gentleman with the tire that needed air. We referred him, not to the Chevron, which is never closed, and wasn't on that day, but to Dunsmuir Tire, which was, indeed, closed, but we had no way of knowing. We did assist him in getting the tire filled enough to get to a station.
"I don't get it" was correct in saying our place is "nice, clean and beautiful...". If we missed apologizing to him we are terribly sorry for that oversight.
Readers are also referred to the review entitled " comfortable and cozy" from another guest of the night in question. Thank you

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

My wife and I stayed here overnight in March 2010 while driving down from WA. I highly recommend this as a rest stop. The room and bathroom were very clean, comfortable, and well maintained. The bed and the sink belonged in a top-notch hotel. The shower area was squeaky clean. The A/C was powerful (we have had some -ve experiences here) and we had a warm room all night. All in all, a very positive experience. And the charge was $65!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

We were planning to drive from Portland, Oregon to Disneyland. Before we left I researched places to stay along the way. I was disappointed to find how many expensive places there were off I-5 that looked like dumps. Then I found this place.

I checked them out on the net and gave them a quick call. A very nice young man answered my questions and was extremely friendly. I called back a few days later to make a reservation and got the same nice man on the phone.

This is a older 40's / 50's hotel that has had the rooms cosmetically redone. The rooms are styled like a modern mountain cabin. Very charming.

If forced to find fault I would say that the neighbors that arrived just as we fell asleep were really noisy. The quieted down after about 1/2 hour and all was well again. And, there were not 1 but 2 spiders in our room, guess they found it charming too.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
petaluma, california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

The positives, and there were a number, included one of the nicest showers in any motel experience; a thoroughly clean room, a warm, friendly owner and a comfortable, if overly large and exceptionally noisy bed. Much work has clearly been done: this '40s motor court has a nostalgic retro feel and it's fun to feel you're stepping back in time. Dunsmuir is a wonderful small town that is struggling to stay afloat, with friendly, welcoming people and a burgeoning street of the arts, Sacramento Avenue, paralleling the Amtrak tracks, that's fun to explore. The negatives included a tired (although workable) sink-washstand and too much furniture that made the average-sized room feel cramped. The only usable outlet we could find was near the ceiling: I had to stand on a chair and unplug the TV to plug in and use my hair dryer. This lodge and the town are trying so hard. We wanted to pull up stakes and move immediately and see if we could help Dunsmuir to grow and thrive. We would certainly stay here again, and gladly recommend it as clean, safe, comfortable and affordable although we felt the rooms were overly furnished. Still, I would love to spend a week in this quiet retreat, with time to read, walk, relish the beautiful scenery and enjoy the peace and relaxation.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Union City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

This is THE place if you have dogs. Our little guy, Diggy, was able to come with us! The rooms were very, very clean. The bed was huge and the linens and pillows were clean. If you can, get room #1. It is separate from the rest of the lodge.

My only complaint was that the areas where you can walk your dog so they can do their business was gross. Dog poop everywhere. It was nasty. Ultimately, I blame the irresponsible dog owners. I wish the hotel cleaned that part up, though.

I agree that they need more outlets for techophiles like my partner. She couldn't charge the laptop and her iPhone at the same time. The WiFi part was great, though. Eh who needs those electronic gadgets in such a beautiful place like Mt. Shasta anyway.

It's proximity to Mt. Shasta City and Lake Siskiyou is great - around 10 miles. Downtown Dunsmuir is on the same road, just farther down. Great places to eat. Cafe Maddalena serves more "upscale" food (delicious) and is dog friendly too. Diggy wasn't too fond of the garden cats and kept a watchful eye on them.

Don't hesistate to stay here, especially if you want to bring your dog with you. Kudos to the proprietors for taking an old roadside motel and turning it into a really nice place to stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

Stayed one night in room #12 -- had a king in one room and 2 doubles in the other. It's a quaint old motel... the view is lovely tho' and the owner was very sweet. Rooms and bath werre clean. It was quiet Looked like the best choice in the area. Had a great dinner at Cafe Maddalena. Watch out if you try to visit one of their famous swimming holes tho' -- we had some locals set their vicious dogs on us and we were attacked.. It was like something out of "Deliverance" .. we won't visit the area again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Panama City, Panama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

With it's easy on/off access to the 5 this is great little place to spend a night or two with or without dogs. There is a great grassy meadow behind the hotel to let your dogs run although the railroad tracks are at the bottom so you need to be careful. This is throwback hotel from the sixties that's been somewhat upgraded, the bed is absolutely huge almost too big as it takes up most of the room! But, really for the money this a great stop, close to town, quiet with nice views of the trees. Our only complaint is that there aren't enough outlets in the rooms. A power strip would make a great addition for all of us tech laden travelers, phone chargers, MP3 players and computer gear to name a few items.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Dunsmuir Lodge? Share your experiences!